Veteran

13 Dec 2017, 8:29 am

Bon Jovi
Dire Straits
The Moody Blues
The Cars
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe as early influencer

Since they arrive on the scene in 1986 I have never understood why Bon Jovi is so massivly massively popular. To me they are a very derivative 70’s styled hard rock band. They are ok, but there is nothing distinguishable that I hear. I am missing things that 95 percent of rock fans are hearing.

Dire Straits are a very good band but not great which should be the standard but which Hall of Famers should be judged. I am surprised they were elected in this era of political correctness considering their most well known song uses the word “fa***t” a lot.

As expected Kate Bush whose pure talent and innovation blows most of these people away did not get in. Frankly I was shocked she was nominated by an American organization.

I voted for Judas Priest over the Moody Blues but I have no problem with the British Invasion and important progressive rock band acts upcoming induction.

The Cars clever mixture of mainstream rock and punk broke “New Wave” in America and deserved to get in on that basis.

I am that familiar with the music of Nina Simone or Sister Rosetta Sharpe but that is not a bad thing. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame gets a lot of deserved criticism but one thing they do right is give a shout out to lesser known talents and early influences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 6:04 pm

Bon Jovi over Judas Priest? This really is a travesty. I don't see Bon Jovi as having done much for the music world, but that's just me.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 8:01 pm

Yeah, Bon Jovi over Judas Priest is a joke. Bon Jovi is derivative, watered-down hard rock; Priest is the real deal. Their influence on other metal bands cannot be understated. Just the voice of Rob Halford alone is enough to warrant their inclusion into the HOF.