The reckoning an excuse for age descrimination?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 11:44 am

The elephant in the room is that most of the admitted and accused predators and the higher ups that protected them for years and decades are age 50 and up and are often elderly.

I have a hard time believing after years of covering up for these predators in the last two months they suddenly realized a lot of these behaviors are wrong. Me thinks the reckoning is often a convenient excuse for companies to fire people they wanted to but were afraid to due to age discrimination lawsuits and in the case of beloved celebrities angering fans while taking the moral high ground.

There is a philosophical question. Predatory behavior should have never been tolerated all these years and I do think it is fair that people should not be excused and should be held accountable in some way. But should not the fact the the rules (mostly unwritten) people have working under for decades suddenly changed be a factor in the punishment?

Family Values 1960s style

The song WARNS wives to always be at their husbands beck and call because "there are girls in the office and men will always be men". The wives are also warned that if they "send him off with your hair still in curlers you may not see him again".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 12:00 pm

I feel much of the sexual harassment is "coming out of the woodwork" because of what happened with Weinstein.

It gave many of the people being harassed courage. It gave others bent on revenge courage as well.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 12:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel much of the sexual harassment is "coming out of the woodwork" because of what happened with Weinstein.

It gave many of the people being harassed courage. It gave others bent on revenge courage as well.

That combined with resentment that a man who bragged about sexual predatio recieved the ultimate reward.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm

Yep. That, too.