Do women really have more normal looking special interests?

Page 8 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Miss World
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2020, 5:48 am

I'd say that most of my special interests were fairly 'normal' for a girl my age, it's just that I was very intense about them and that intensity was what made them strange to others.

I was really obsessed with a kpop boy group, so much so that it was how my classmates identified me by; 'the girl who likes Super Junior'. The only thing people knew about me was that I loved this group. I think my intense obsession definitely weirded a lot of my peers out

Some of my other 'normal, girly' special interests include:
- fashion
- Miraculous Ladybug
- languages (German in particular!)
- and more musicians (David Bowie and Nirvana especially)

Acton Bell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2020, 5:17 am

My I think mine have always been a mixture of slightly more normal but veering towards more unconventional on the whole.
My special interests are mostly based around art (both observing and creating), embroidery, freehand embroidery of animal skulls, had a big poison dart frog embroidering phase awhile back, currently working on a scarab beetle! Lot's of interests around nature and animals (that's been lifelong).
A long running interest and love for the Bronte Sisters (in particular Emily and Anne) have made several pilgrimages to the Yorkshire moors over the last few years.
The music of PJ Harvey, cemeteries(often visiting them and exploring new ones), fossilising, Victorian culture, medical history, classic and Gothic literature, ghost stories.

When I was a child everything revolved around animals, for years I was utterly obsessed with the life and death of Anne Boleyn, and I've always loved unsolved mysteries and crimes, the unexplained etc I'm normally fixated on one or several of those at any given time.

Plus very much love and adore my cats(and all cats) and tea!

rottingpetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2020, 10:14 pm

Now that nerd culture is mainstream, I suppose some of mine are seen as normal now. When I was a kid I was mocked for them, though. I'd say my most mundane interest is video games.

NightMuse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:00 am

I love learning about history (specifically about the WW2 and Vietnam eras), so if this is odd, I'll happily own it. :)

Lulu81
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2020, 10:55 pm

My special interests as a child were Shakespeare, reading the dictionary and greek/roman mythology-so not exactly normal. Now that I am an adult they have pretty reliably been genetics, abnormal and developmental psychology, artificial intelligence (as a 21 yr old I spent 300 hours programming a chatbot just for fun) and poetry. Recently I have developed an interest in economics which has led me to spend about 200 hours reading every textbook I can find on the subject. I hadn't developed a new special interest in many years since the AI obsession started when I was 21, so I have really been enjoying the deep dive.

I don't know whether my adult 'special interests' are normal or not, for a man they probably would be-for a woman not so much. I certainly would never bring up my recent reading of 'Irrational Exuberance' or 'The Misbehavior of Markets' in the lunchroom as I am pretty sure it wouldn't be considered normal by a long stretch. I have found that outside of scrapbooking/craft/photography, exercise or art that having any kind of 'special interest' isn't that common for most (NT) people.