Do women really have more normal looking special interests?

Page 6 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2019, 6:31 pm

My special interests were always animal related in some way another and always viewed as "weird".

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2019, 1:31 pm

Childhood special interest:
1.Dogs
2.Fashion
3.Japan
4.Music
5.Sailor Moon
6. Dragonball Z
7. Androids
8. Stuffed animals
9. Barbie
10. My Little Pony
11. Pound Puppies
12. Pokemon

Adulthood:
1. Fashion
2. Makeup
3. Collecting stuffed animals
4. Music
5. Snakes
6. Coloring
7. Hair and makeup makeovers and tutorials
8.Girly video games

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2019, 7:30 pm

Like mentioned in another thread, nature, animals, and art seem to be popular.

I have the above interests, but they are narrowed down further. Moss gardens, native species, specific Japanese character designers, for example. I don't ever find myself talking about these things with people, haha. I was not the horse girl, not the Warriors book series girl, I was the insect girl.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 8:04 pm

Hmm... when I was a kid I was obsessed with Barbies, fashion, paper dolls, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, boy bands, Spice Girls, and drawing. I'd say those were pretty "normal" I guess. Oddly enough as I've gotten older I was less and less interested in traditionally girly things and it's stayed true for me as an adult.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2019, 8:53 am

My special interests include film, animals, art, Star Trek, cryptozoology, dinosaurs. Some of the stuff is more or less gender neutral. I guess other people have special interests like that. Some of the stuff I'm into, other people in my circle aren't really into. I remember when I was younger and I began to first love dinos, someone commented how it's unusual for a female to like. xD

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 8:22 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:
My special interests include film, animals, art, Star Trek, cryptozoology, dinosaurs. Some of the stuff is more or less gender neutral. I guess other people have special interests like that. Some of the stuff I'm into, other people in my circle aren't really into. I remember when I was younger and I began to first love dinos, someone commented how it's unusual for a female to like. xD

I'm with you on Star Trek and cryptozoology! I used to have this excellent dinosaur book in my early 20s that included descriptions about different dinosaurs and dinosaur-themed jokes! I loved it! I wish I knew what happened to it. I've moved so much since then.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2019, 6:02 am

martianprincess wrote:
DemophobicKlingon wrote:

I'm with you on Star Trek and cryptozoology! I used to have this excellent dinosaur book in my early 20s that included descriptions about different dinosaurs and dinosaur-themed jokes! I loved it! I wish I knew what happened to it. I've moved so much since then.

It sounds like that book must be full of memorable funny jokes. xD I still have a bunch of my old dino books and watch videos about them on YT. It's hard to find books that are up-to-date because what we know about dinosaurs is constantly changing with new discoveries.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 10:22 pm

DemophobicKlingon wrote:
martianprincess wrote:
DemophobicKlingon wrote:

It sounds like that book must be full of memorable funny jokes. xD I still have a bunch of my old dino books and watch videos about them on YT. It's hard to find books that are up-to-date because what we know about dinosaurs is constantly changing with new discoveries.

I love how we can discover new things about something that's millions of years old. 8)

Hey
What do you call a dinosaur that brags a lot?

Tyrannosaurus Flex

:nerdy:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 10:17 am

DemophobicKlingon wrote:

Cryptozoology is amazing. I have Nessie and Mothman in a cute and cuddly form:

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2019, 5:33 pm

My special interests have been all over the place as a child. I've been seen as wierd for two of my long-standing special interests, one because of age. People thought it was quirky when I was 12, but I got made fun of for it.
My other one is reading. I've always read higher than grade level in terms of comprehension, but I get mostly "wow you're reading that" and "is that for reading", or even "that sounds boring". I love older works, especially ones with intense character development. Ironically, my first interest got me into this.
I was obsessed with drug side effects when I was 7 or 8, and would read preachy anti-drug things that were around the house. My parents thought it was wierd, and actively discouraged me from doing anything related to it.
I don't remember much else from childhood, except my ongoing Beanie Baby cat collection, due to the fact that I was heavily medicated through most of elementary school.

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2019, 7:27 am

My interest is Disney and Tinkerbell which normal for little girls but not normal for adult

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:40 am

normal IMHO is highly overrated.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 8:00 am

Cavycat wrote:
I was obsessed with drug side effects when I was 7 or 8, and would read preachy anti-drug things that were around the house. My parents thought it was wierd, and actively discouraged me from doing anything related to it.

Oh my gosh, I think this is so endearing. I'd think it was pretty cool if my kids wanted to know more about this.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 7:52 pm

1. Cats (I believe this was for several years when I was really young)
2. Gore make up
3. Serial killers/murderers - not in the, I romanticise them way, in the wow I can't believe the human mind can be so dark and this is so outside of what I'm like, I want to find out more!
4. Creepypasta
5. Anime and Japan
6. Body language
7. (My current one) The science/psychology of attraction

These are the only ones I can think of that I've had but there were definitely a few intense short lasting one in between these. I wouldn't really call them normal looking but that's OK. With the right person I can have some amazing conversation if they don't mind repeatedly hearing the phrase "fertile window".

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 7:29 pm

no but i’m a weirdo anyways. the closest i get to normal is maybe animals? but i like rats, spiders, slime molds, and fungi.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 6:18 am

Please define "normal"? I'm a woman in my 40s who is absolutely fanatical about anything Oldsmobile related, including: having an actual classic Oldsmobile of my own, hundreds of diecast model Oldsmobile cars in various sizes, shirts, hats, metal signs, tote bags, banners, keychains, artwork, etc. Even took an airplane (despite my HUGE phobia of flying in planes) to Lansing MI to visit the Oldsmobile museum, a giant Oldsmobile show and visit the gravesite of Mr. Olds himself. Made several trips to GA and TN in my Oldsmobile to attend National/regional Oldsmobile shows. I know a lot of men are highly interested in cars, even specific ones. So I don't consider this as abnormal, to me anyway. Also extremely interested in theropod dinosaurs, of which many had feathers (like their descendants, BIRDS). Also other paleontological creatures, like trilobites. I collect fossils and teeth and dinosaur models/action figures/artwork. Plus I have parrots, which are modern day dinosaurs.
Other severe interests of mine include: medical conditions and diseases, boots(in the shoes category, so perhaps a bit more normal), crows and other members of the corvid family, bears, World War 2 (Pacific AND European fronts), and more recently battle tanks. Maybe I'm not like other women, but this is who I am.