Do anti psychotics cause permanent brain damage

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspie1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2017, 2:07 am

I was put on 0.5 mg of Risperidone from the ages of 15-19, I always felt slow and my mother insisted it was Aspergers, I told her something was wrong and why did my thinking feel so screwed up and abnormal and she told me it was my condition. I felt so stupid and wished i could be normal intelligence like most aspies instead of a little slow. I did some research on the internet with info the doctor will not tell you and quicky withdrew from this medication after several years going through hellish withdrawls and now feel much better. I know its out of my system but Im scared it caused my brain not to develop properly can someone give me some insight on this matter?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Dec 2017, 4:26 am

The "screwed up" thinking may really be Asperger's, althought it's too little detail to tell.
Slowing down on risperidone is a reocurring phenomenon, I had a fairly similar effect. In my case it was completely reversed after discontinuing risperidone but I was older and I had been taking it for a shorter period.
Also my autistic traits became far more obvious on risperidone and my coping strategies did not work anymore.
It's good you discontinued it, why the hell did they make you take it in the beginning? One shouldn't get antipsichotics if they doesn't have psychotic symptoms!! !

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Aspie1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2017, 3:04 pm

Well I showed agressive behavior toward my step father and mother because they would treat me like I was more ret*d than I actually was and they didn't understand my anxiety of looking abnormal. the brain is still developing as a teenager and im scared it caused some frontal lobe damage and grey matter loss. but thank god i was never put on this as a child.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Dec 2017, 4:19 pm

Aspie1234 wrote:
Well I showed agressive behavior toward my step father and mother

I suspect meltdowns, it's quite common among males to be agressive in this state and being unable to make your point would be very likely to trigger a meltdown.
In this case all you needed was quiet to calm down and patience so you could find your words.
But very little people can handle meltdowns the right way :( Many react impulsively, start to argue, show off the superiority they feel and generally make it all worse :(

I hope your brain recovers!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Aspie1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2017, 3:14 pm

Thank You So much magz! ive been reading articles on neuroplasticity and aparantly the brain can return itself to normal... im a bit of a skeptic however if it will return to 100%

wadewilson
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2017, 5:54 am

good information, thanks for helping