anybody dx'd with bi-polar before being dx'd aspie of hfa?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zuma181
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2005, 10:31 am

I was dx'd Bipolar years ago, and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the drugs, and I'm sick of being mentally ill. I don't think I'm mentally ill. Yes, I have a bad temper. When people are stupid I yell at them, but I think I am 100% right in my thinking, except when I'm wrong.

I've been reading this forum for a while, and so many things people describe sound just like me, so how come I got stuck with the bipolar label? I told my psychiatrist I thought I might be Aspie or HFA, and he said, "No, you're bipolar."

I suffer from executive disfunction.

Anybody have a different DX first?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2005, 12:06 pm

I was diagnosed bipolar once, but I found out later on that the guy who diagnosed me as bipolar, diagnosed every single one of his patients as bipolar, and these were patients who got assigned to him at random so that was rather fishy.

My mother and grandfather both have that diagnosis though, I hear it often runs in the same families as autism. I do seem to have a cyclical nature to various things, but not of mood (I have long periods of perseveration followed by periods of burnout and regeneration, but I can be happy and responsible during both).

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2005, 5:08 pm

this might sound like a stupid question, but have you tried going to a different psychiatrist for a dx? or are you able to? ive found that just because someone has a medical degree and sits in a big chair doesn't mean they know what they're doing. it took some courage for me to start over with a new psychiatrist, but it was worth it to get the right meds 8)