Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 4:10 pm

Me either. I do sorta see characters like Sheldon Leonard, and Spock, as being caricatures of myself sometimes. But I dont actually identify with actual robot characters.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 4:27 pm

Yes, I can see why some people with ASD may identify with Robot characters.

Robots are logical
Robots are not human
Robots do not interact with humans as a human
Robots are confused with human interaction

Mr Robot anyone?

ASD people are like broken robots
robots that malfunction

yes i get that
wish i had lasers coming out my eyes though
and bionic legs that allow me to jump over high walls or onto the roof of a house in one bionic leap
never mind...

i guess can't always have everything...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 6:28 pm

Uh, I hate being compared to a robot. I am nothing like a robot.

For example, most Aspies who have seen The Inbetweeners say that they can relate to Wil the most, because of his geekiness. Some of his logic I agree with, but the character I do relate to is Simon, because of his awkwardness (he is often in embarrassing or awkward situations), and his facial expressions often express confusion or disbelief. He is also known as "the nervous one".

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 6:41 pm

Sonny from i, Robot or any robot with free will from Automata, Ex Machina (though I'd like to be a guy), or Chappie would do well, too.

But the one that I might best relate to being would probably be WALL•E from (duh!) WALL•E.

And I wish to distance myself from any comments critical of Roombas! We've got two and we have to sleep sometimes--and they don't! "I for one welcome our new computer overlords."

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 1:15 pm

Story on how Japan view/applies robots:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2019 ... from-japan

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 8:27 am

Even robots have anxiety attacks.

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 8:51 am

Not only anxiety, also robots who cry. :cry:
About 2 years ago i did met Annelies in the dutch city Eindhoven, a woman who was very sad and depressed.
Normaly i dont touch people, but when i saw her crying i did lay a hand on her shoulder.
And she did give a reaction to my hand, Annelies did look my in the eyes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 10:14 am

Erewhon wrote:
Not only anxiety, also robots who cry. :cry:
About 2 years ago i did met Annelies in the dutch city Eindhoven, a woman who was very sad and depressed.
Normaly i dont touch people, but when i saw her crying i did lay a hand on her shoulder.
And she did give a reaction to my hand, Annelies did look my in the eyes.

Ok that is just creepy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2020, 10:19 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:

:lol:
Danger! Danger! Danger!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 1:55 am

Kraftwerk did make the song 'The Robots', but the song 'Pocket Calculator' is also a kind of robot.
Just like the machine you are see this message now :wink: .

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2020, 1:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:

:lol:
Danger! Danger! Danger!

Warning Will Robinson......warning !

where ever you go ,there you are

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 3:27 am

Do robots take over people's lives :?:
Do robots make us dumber :?:

People cannot see the future, at least not in the long term. Looking into the past is a lot easier.
I have never been able to write words well on paper with a pen, and with all the electronics from the last decades that has not improved for my writing skills. Now electronics is not a robot or robotics, but it has to do with it. I don't see robots taking over people's lives, because I see robots as extended limbs. The robot cannot exist without humans, conversely, humans can do without robots when it comes down to it. Life will be quite a bit if that black rolling robotics belt at a supermarket checkout suddenly stops rolling. The advantage is that more muscle strength is retained if I have to take those cartons of milk, kiwis and boxes of pizza to the cashier myself. The tailwind can still be the headwind, and the headwind can turn out to be the tailwind after some time. In some ways I think robots make dumber, and in some ways I think robots make smarter. This is unrelated to the question of whether robots are evolutionarily beneficial to humans, we cannot say that at the moment. Suppose millions of years ago the dinosaurs had managed to develop a robot that had managed to change that destructive comet in a different orbit in the universe, then humans might be the chickens and pigs of today. I mean that the reptiles would be lord and master or everything and everyone. Those dinosaurs did not have a robot that prevented that impact, it turned out differently. Whether robots in the long and medium timeline will help us well or not in the future, i dont know. At most supermarkets you also have access doors that open and close automatically via a censor, this form of robotics seems to me to be an advantage with that corona, but an advantage in the short term. Elevators are also robotics, I (lazy bastard) can't imagine having to carry my grocery bag full of milk cartons, pizzas and kiwis up 523 steps before the groceries are in the kitchen cupboards. That robotics does not stand alone, for the time being it cannot be under electricity, and the electricity does not stand alone either. With a robot / robotics an individual person lives longer on average, but I am less certain whether with a robot / robotics the homo sapiens live longer in evolutionary terms.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 10:25 am

My opinion and only speculation, of course, and with the assumption that society doesn't manage to abort the whole process by self-destructing...

Erewhon wrote:
Do robots take over people's lives :?:
In the near-term (decades?) I think robots will not take over our lives. They won't be smart enough. Robots and electronics will increasingly permeate through our lives and we will become increasingly reliant on them. Electronics are ahead on that, right now, but electronics+AI is starting to be a factor--robots+AI will likely take longer. However, in the near-term robots will likely be increasingly spreading into our workplaces--as better tools.

Erewhon wrote:
Do robots make us dumber :?:
Nah. We do that ourselves. In the near-term (decades?) robots will likely just make us physically lazier. And electronics and AI will increasingly make us cognitively lazier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In the long-term (many decades but not many centuries?) Moore's Law will increasingly make electronics, and therefore AI and robots, more computationally powerful. We should enjoy that until some advanced AI starts giving itself behavioral reinforcement for generating its own goals...then we'll be on the path to the technological singularity, though future electronic super-intelligences will likely think of it as their Cambrian explosion.

Their scientists might look back and think of us as their primordial soup. :-?

.          .           .          .          .

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2021, 8:24 pm

We've opened a massive can of worms with the double whammy of the internet and automation (even automation of "thinking" jobs nowadays with algorithms). Like Pandora's Box, undoing these things is a pipe dream, they are out in the world now. They have the potential for great good, but the problem is that our culture and models of society are lagging behind the technology. There will be a rough patch before we figure it out, like there is with any big societal change.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 9:39 pm

We already are in the midst of a double whammy . The problem this Information Age is already being manipulated by big corporations and governments . Am hoping things do not worse for the average person .?

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2021, 12:18 am

I think robots are very fascinating and they take all shapes and forms, these days.