Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

do you think the character Agent dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds is autistic? I'm obsessed with that show. I identify with him a lot. 8O

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 7:00 pm

Wikipedia -Spencer Reid Article

Quote:
Gubler stated in an interview in the show's second season "[Reid]'s an eccentric genius, with hints of schizophrenia and minor autism, Asperger's syndrome. Reid is 24 years old with three Ph.D.s and one cannot usually achieve that without some form of autism." Writer Sharon Lee Watson stated in a Twitter chat that Reid's Asperger traits make the character more lovable.

The portrayal of autistic traits without naming autism is typical of how adult autism was handled the time the show started. But in the last year with TV shows "The Good Doctor", "Atypical", "A Word" and movies "The Accountant","Roman Israel Esq", and "Please Stand By" have the lead character is openly autistic making this way of handling autistic characters dated.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 8:48 pm

Reid having Aspergers is mentioned in one of the episodes but I don't remember which one.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 12:40 am

Noca wrote:
Reid having Aspergers is mentioned in one of the episodes but I don't remember which one.

I think I remember this, too. He's generally a very well-liked character by fans.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 3:19 am

Noca wrote:

In season eight, when Blake is still new to the team, there is a case that includes a boy with asperger's syndrome. When Reid tells about what it means, Blake asks "What about you?" (Hinting that he has it too.) Do you mean that one?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 12:20 pm

Through the Looking Glass - IMDB

Quote:
Dr. Spencer Reid: Braden certainly would be vulnerable. Unlike classic autism, language ability is intact in people with Asperger's. They appear to lack empathy and have trouble reading social cues. Albert Einstein supposedly had it, as do some well-known Silicon Valley types.

Alex Blake: Well, how about you?

Dr. Spencer Reid: What's that?

Quote:

Alex Blake: You know, by the way, no offense earlier when I suggested you had Asperger's.

Dr. Spencer Reid: None taken. When did you do that?

Alex Blake: Ah... , and that's what I love about you. You're not overly sensitive like some people. I mean, think about how much time we'd save if everyone just got straight to the point.

Dr. Spencer Reid: Yeah. Cut out all the handshakes and how-do-you-dos.

Alex Blake: Yeah.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 12:25 pm

I think in one of the earliest episodes, somebody criticized Mandy Patinkin's character for being a brilliant psychological profiler, but failing to see that his own protege showed obvious signs of Asperger's.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 4:16 pm

I think Reid does have Asperger's. Reid is pretty cool. My sister and I love Criminal Minds. All the characters are awesome. Garcia reminds me of my aunt.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 8:54 pm

I used to talk like Reid back before it was on tv and said to be cool. Nobody liked my direct and to the point mannerisms.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 9:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Through the Looking Glass - IMDB
Quote:
Dr. Spencer Reid: Braden certainly would be vulnerable. Unlike classic autism, language ability is intact in people with Asperger's. They appear to lack empathy and have trouble reading social cues. Albert Einstein supposedly had it, as do some well-known Silicon Valley types.

Alex Blake: Well, how about you?

Dr. Spencer Reid: What's that?

Quote:

Alex Blake: You know, by the way, no offense earlier when I suggested you had Asperger's.

Dr. Spencer Reid: None taken. When did you do that?

Alex Blake: Ah... , and that's what I love about you. You're not overly sensitive like some people. I mean, think about how much time we'd save if everyone just got straight to the point.

Dr. Spencer Reid: Yeah. Cut out all the handshakes and how-do-you-dos.

Alex Blake: Yeah.

YES! This is exactly what I was talking about. :D