Roy Moore sues to overturn election loss

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 12:45 pm

Roy Moore Sues to Block Certification of Alabama Senate Election Results

Quote:
Roy S. Moore, the first Republican to lose a United States Senate race in Alabama in 25 years, moved late Wednesday to block state officials from certifying the victory of his Democratic rival on Thursday afternoon because of “systematic voter fraud.”

In a complaint filed in the circuit court here in Alabama’s capital, Mr. Moore’s campaign argued that such fraud had tainted the Dec. 12 special election, which Mr. Moore lost to Doug Jones by fewer than 22,000 votes, and that the Alabama authorities had inadequately investigated claims of misconduct.

If the election is prematurely certified, Mr. Moore’s lawyers wrote, he will “suffer irreparable harm” and be “denied his full right as a candidate to a fair election.”

John H. Merrill, the Alabama secretary of state, has dismissed complaints, from Democratic and Republican critics, of election fraud. In an interview on Dec. 15, Mr. Merrill, a Republican who voted for Mr. Moore, flatly declared: “I have not seen any irregularities or any inconsistencies that are outside the norm.”

In a text message early Thursday, Mr. Merrill said he did not intend to postpone the certification proceedings that would ultimately allow Mr. Jones to take office.

At the least, Mr. Moore wants a judge to keep Mr. Merrill and other officials from certifying the election results on Thursday afternoon. But his lawyers also suggested that a judge consider calling a new election to fill the Senate seat that Jeff Sessions vacated to become United States attorney general.

Mr. Moore has spent weeks ignoring calls that he concede the election, defying the wishes of President Trump, who endorsed his campaign, and other Republican leaders.

It was not immediately clear when a judge would consider Mr. Moore’s complaint or the affidavits from several people his campaign described as experts in elections; one has claimed to have “mathematically proved a conspiracy to assassinate” President John F. Kennedy.

The immediate response is to laugh at the desperate attempt of a sore loser but on second thought I can see him finding a sympathetic judge.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 28 Dec 2017, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 12:53 pm

Hopefully he'll run for president.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2017, 3:00 pm

Is anybody surprised that a child molester would have difficulty taking "no" for an answer?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

black pots, kettles and all that. :lol: :roll:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 8:51 pm

Doug Jones has been certified the winner.

If history is any guide he will never concede. He has not conceded the 2006 and 2010 Gubernatorial primaries he lost.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 9:03 pm

what a nasty man, that guy. and IMHO his supporters are the worst kind of hypocrites.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Dec 2017, 2:10 pm

He's stuck in the Jurassic age.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 2:12 pm

as are his supporters, and they all may well end up in purgatory if they don't change course soon.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

:roll: Well, that's quite a demonstration there, of humbly and graciously accepting the sovereign will of God. :roll:

Shall we examine this purported Christian? Here are the Seven Deadly Sins:

pride -- yup. He's got that one locked up tight.
greed -- yup. Gotta take the Senate seat away from the guy what won it. Just gotta. Gimme. Gimme NOW!
lust -- yup. Ask the folks who barred him from the mall? Yes, that was years ago. When has he, ahem, confessed, repented, made restitution? In the usual Christian terminology.
envy -- yup, See pride and greed.
gluttony -- not literally obvious here, but C.S. Lewis, in The Screwtape Letters, talks about spiritual forms of gluttony, basically as an insistence on getting one's way irrespective of the reasonableness of one's demands or their inconvenience to others, and I think we can make a case for that here.
wrath -- oh yeah, baby
and
sloth -- again, perhaps not in the most literal sense, but I'd say that his intransigent refusal to drop this, accept defeat with grace and honor, and move on is a form of laziness; it's like the kid who refused to study for finals and is now stalking the TA, demanding that his/her grade be improved.

"Thy will be done, Lord, just as long as it corresponds exactly to what I want."
Verily, I say unto thee, I have not seen such great faith in all of Israel.

Brief theological note: "judge not" doth not here apply; what is being applied here is discernment, which Christians are admonished to practice.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

I wonder how many of the [10] commandments he's broken?

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 8:33 pm

Good. I hope it is overturned and that Doug Jones comes out looking like a total idiot.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 8:35 pm

too late.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 7:12 pm

This does not surprise me as, Jackass will never seem to give up even when he was legitimately defeated.
Yeah, I read the suit he filed claiming voter fraud, how absurd since a great deal of voter fraud cases which, have proven to be absolute wound up involving Republicans.Just like Moore stated,"God will involve himself and alter this transgression".Yeah, a mythical deity is actually going to involve himself in the works of mankind.I seriously doubt such.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 7:29 pm

I'd say something humorous, but Roy Moore is the joke, and there's no beating that kind of out of touch silly. Seriously, find one of his speeches on youtube, mute it, and play Beethoven or Brahms in the background, it's so over-the-top you'll wet yourself laughing.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 8:39 pm

Roy Moore is just being a big crybaby who can't seem to get out of denial.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 8:49 pm

Even god couldn't stop the snake from entering the garden, where Moore followers are at fault is failing to acknowledge it was the serpent they let into the garden-- that type of willful ignorance spreads and before you know it, half the garden is snakes dressed up as holy men.