Attracted to Animated Characters?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 12:57 pm

I heard somewhere that people with autism and aspergers are more likely to feel attraction to cartoon characters than real people. Apparently they're also more likely to be furries than NTs are. What do you think of this? Is it true? And why or why not?

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 2:06 pm

Marge Simpson is hot, and yes, I think this kind of feeling is like something from the Furry mind.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 2:46 pm

I don't know if it's common among us or not, but I know I was one of those people. However, it was far more about the cartoon character's (or a character of a tv series) personality than looks. When you watch a tv series, cartoon or not, you get to know the characters in a way that usually doesn't happen with real people. You learn what they like, what they dislike, what their values are, what kind of background they come from... and there's no fear that they'd judge you for any reason or that they'd demand anything from you, simply 'cause they can't because they're not real. I don't think it's much different from teenagers "falling in love" with actors or singers; that too is a way to admire someone without the fear of getting hurt by them because the chances they'll ever meet or get close to them are rather nonexistent.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 2:53 pm

If I had to guess I'd probably say that it's because cartoons are easier to read than real people. They're drawn with exaggerated features that make emotions easier to discern. If a cartoon is happy or sad or angry it's written all over their face. Maybe they just make sense to us more than real people.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 3:09 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
If I had to guess I'd probably say that it's because cartoons are easier to read than real people. They're drawn with exaggerated features that make emotions easier to discern. If a cartoon is happy or sad or angry it's written all over their face. Maybe they just make sense to us more than real people.

I never thought of that! 8O It might actually be the case, at least for some people.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 3:24 pm

With a movie star, if you sometimes make the effort you can destroy the image you have in your mind by meeting the person behind the performance. I know someone this happened to, and Thomas Hardy wrote of the phenomena in one of his books.

Cartoons declare that the characters in them are entirely fictional, so you are very safe from disappointment.

People love fiction, whether it is Religion, Psychology or Cartoons.

Hopelessly3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:

this is def why i prefer watching animation to live action

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 6:26 am

There might be a grain of truth to it, but ultimately, I'd like to think NTs would be just as likely to be attracted to cartoon characters rather than real people.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 6:42 am

Physical attraction to cartoon characters is extremely common, as human brains like aesthetic designs and 2D images are very easy to make aesthetic. Also with cartoons you can pull off proportions that would never, ever, work in real life.

Artists just have a way of making things look good, go figure.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2017, 8:55 am

EmFromOuterSpace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2017, 9:06 am

Oh man, I'm not really into animated characters but I have such a crush on Nightwing from the comics... I've only really been attracted to fictional characters, honestly. Some live action, but I wasn't attracted to their actors, just their characters haha

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 8:25 am

^I'm more attracted to fictional characters in books than real people, their actions and feelings are more straight forward and they don't suddenly emotion dump on you. I imagine animated characters would be similar.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2017, 5:51 pm

I do take a strong liking certain anime characters and I think about them a lot. I'd say I get more attached to them rather than attracted (though I do feel the latter with some characters as well)
I wouldn't say I'd buy a dakimakura of them and sleep with them every night, or buy a cake when it's their birthday. But I do enjoy looking for pictures of my favourite characters (SFW, shall I mention). My hard drive is full of them

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 10:49 pm

Wilma and Betty from the Flinstones are extra hot.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 8:39 pm

This is crazy. These animated characters will never return your love. They're big, famous stars who are the subject of constant public adoration. Go ahead, obsess all you like over Marge Simpson or Super Mario. But remember--to them, you'll never be anything but a fan.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 5:56 am

I wonder if this is why some young girls make themselves up to look like cartoons - to attract the attention of distant, autistic men?? I thought they were just freaks. Now, I can respect this.