Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 11:59 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I'm saying they have a much better coping strategy, often tied in with their NT wiring. It's based on plausible deniability, or plain denial. Or not expressing these things openly. Certain things are either not questioned nor expressed. Aspies, by virtue, are forced to question and ponder nearly everything. Yes, even aging is experienced differently between the two neurotypes.

Yes, both groups are physically human. A gray hair is a gray hair, a liver spot, etc. Processing and perception is different.

I think at the most, maybe, they're better at extroverting and then projecting any internal discomfort and instinctively, rather than owning it, someone around them is bothering them. Then again too I really doubt that introverted NT's would have that luxury. There's also a really big thing among NTs - that any show of weakness, even being overly thoughtful, is blood in the water among sharks, and maybe this sort of existential thing smells like a display of weakness if talked about among peers but that doesn't normally stop psychology journals, magazine editorials, exploratory news Youtube channels, etc. from hitting on all kinds of different topics even more embarassing than this in that respect.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Yes, both groups are physically human. A gray hair is a gray hair, a liver spot, etc. Processing and perception is different.

I think at the most, maybe, they're better at extroverting and then projecting any internal discomfort and instinctively, rather than owning it, someone around them is bothering them. Then again too I really doubt that introverted NT's would have that luxury. There's also a really big thing among NTs - that any show of weakness, even being overly thoughtful, is blood in the water among sharks, and maybe this sort of existential thing smells like a display of weakness if talked about among peers but that doesn't normally stop psychology journals, magazine editorials, exploratory news Youtube channels, etc. from hitting on all kinds of different topics even more embarassing than this in that respect.

Yes, there are appropriate times and places to discuss these things, this is understood in the NT world. But even internally, I think their mindset is so different in wiring that their perceptions and worries are even experienced differently.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 12:13 pm

jimmy m wrote:
All I can say is that I am a 70 year old Aspie. I have a wife, 2 children, 5 grandchildren. My children and grandchildren turned out just fine. I have an INTJ personality.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

Being INTJ does make it easier, although most of the mileage you get with that depends on a lot of other factors like how much traction you can get going your own way in life, if things aren't working how much that hits your own internal radar or depresses you, and something I'll really talk about below - ie. I get the impression that even on the autistic spectrum we get treated very differently for very small, subtle social micro-motions that our nervous systems may or may not allow us to reproduce.

jimmy m wrote:
So from my experience, "Can an Aspie get married and raise a family?" My answer from personal experience is the following: I have been married 45 years. I have wonderful children and grandchildren and I am happy. Sure there have been problems along the way - but everyone (Aspies and NTs alike) faces problems. I am adequate at solving problems.

There's so much to this. Chance is a killer, ie. any guarantees that you'll meet anyone whose single, at a compatible intelligence level, on top of that (if you have any neurological show of this) who won't be bothered by some broader social perception (that they'd think is perceptible to other people) that there's something genetically wrong with you. You could have two people of equal success, even equal rote social skills, even equally good temperaments, and one could be rejected while the other ostrasized - and it will come down to factors that the people making such judgments will not understand.

I think all of these factors have to be taken into account, ie. ASD isn't enough of a catch-all to give ASD advice on a lot of things. That said I think my biggest challenge is just how unpredictable my future is - not that I'm 100% destined to be single or far more than likely to marry or have kids, I'm more on razor's edge where it's true, I've hardly had any relationships in my life but I'm also in that spot where there's very little about me to tell me that I have any sure clue what the future will hold. Part of that angst is trying to plan. For example there are things I could do that would be ideal, like setting up the ultimate intellectual bachelor pad - my sort of into-retirement Shang Ri La, if I know I'll be single. At the same time there's quite a different route to go if I knew I'd be married, and the middle 'play it safe' route is fraught with a lot of sacrifice that's likely to be kind of like the worst of both worlds.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 12:16 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Yes, there are appropriate times and places to discuss these things, this is understood in the NT world. But even internally, I think their mindset is so different in wiring that their perceptions and worries are even experienced differently.

I'd say maybe that I'll agree to disagree. As far as I can tell, considering all the NT's in my life, they may have a different order of salience in what they feel, what drives them, and what's out front more important but it's a change of degrees not a full-on omission of very structural bodily experience. What I'm describing would be similar in scale to people not noticing that puberty was going on.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 9:34 pm

I am untypical atypical in that I always wanted kids, I always liked little kids. I have the patience for things and noises kids do that far exceeds my instant aggression if an adult is the source of same sensations.

I wanted 7 sons minimum because that old movie, but actually, I liked my lil cousins and neighbors lil siblings. If I could have afforded better, I likely would have had a houseful. I like my kids, I like their individuality. I like them even now that they are not as malleable as when small. Granted the one most similar and who was most cooperative is my favorite of the current 3. Kids I babysat have contacted me as adults and I found it pleasant.

Wanting/not wanting kids has no right or wrong but it is very important other person has that same view and is unlikely to change it. Many couples have this become a major issue when one suddenly changes mind.
And that both can handle parenting, not just let one parent handle them because they are the one that wanted them.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 5:07 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
There's so much to this. Chance is a killer, ie. any guarantees that you'll meet anyone whose single, at a compatible intelligence level,

I never considered a compatible intelligence level to be a deal breaker. I only wanted a wife who would become a good mother. Much of that is driven by instinct. It is a built in trait. And also I valued a sense of independance. If something should ever happen to me, I wanted her to be survivable and able to carry on in raising the children.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 6:14 pm

These days I notice the intelligence issue is much more a thing based on how insecure people are. That's sort of what I mean. You're lucky to find someone of compatible intelligence, or someone secure enough not to be switched off by it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:35 pm

I like what Sam said here.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2019, 10:05 am

I don't have any -- yet. But the husband and I are considering having one in the next few years (probably not more than that -- one is most likely, and two max, if the first goes ok, and we think we can handle it financially). I'm 34 right now, so I'd be in my late thirties by that point. I also finally have a good job, so I can save up more to make it easier on both of us for when our preferred time comes.

For the longest time, I thought I would be too high of a medical risk because of type 1 diabetes. My endo assures me though that pregnancies now for type 1s are usually pretty easy.

My biggest concern would be knowing what to do. I was the youngest child, so I don't really have much experience with children except school-age ones from my past years as a substitute teacher. I have no experience whatsoever with infants and very small children (younger than four).

I also wonder about emotional bonding. Perhaps I'll have the maternal instinct after all, but I do wonder sometimes. I also need to ensure I don't have meltdowns when the child does something annoying, which is inevitable (we all do wrong things in our lives, after all). I sometimes lost patience and temper when I was a teacher, although it will help that the child will have genetics and dispositions I'm familiar with (mine and my husband's).

What I'll probably do best with is teaching them things one-on-one. I've gotten good feedback for tutoring in the past. This is the part of parenting I'm looking forward to the most. It's super neat and rewarding to watch kids develop their minds.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2019, 12:38 pm

I KNOW I would not be a good or even fit parent. I cannot be in the same room as a child without having a panic attack. If I had one, I'd have to give it up for adoption at birth and would probably arrange something with an agency as soon as I learned I was pregnant.