Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2017, 1:28 pm

I haven't heard of these neat little gizmos until seeing the Raspberry Pi 3 at a Barnes and Noble. Basically, they're computer boards whittled down to the bare necessities. They can be small enough to barely cover your thumb or about the size of a video game controller. The prices of said boards depends on things like the amount of components on the board or how fast the processors are. These things give me high hopes for the future of technology, as a whole. Just thinking about what you can do with maker boards(another name they go by) gets me excited about learning more and more about how to work with them. They could even teach kids in school how to program these things! Perhaps I can interest folks on here to pursue this promising hobby or share my zeal with people who already work with said computer tech.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 1:42 pm

Once you've gotten over the dazzle factor of a Raspberry Pi it's time to start making your own circuits have a look here for something truly DIY and fascinating: DIY PCB.

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Once you've gotten over the dazzle factor of a Raspberry Pi it's time to start making your own circuits have a look here for something truly DIY and fascinating: DIY PCB.

Cool! I'll try it!

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2017, 2:47 pm

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Cool! I'll try it!

I do hydroponics so a few years back I found that process when I was looking for cheap timers. Cheap timer = 15 bucks, making my own digital from circuit = 4 bucks. After you get the process down you can pop them out very quickly as well-- assuming you're mass replicating one circuit.