Why would you want / not want God to exist?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 10:40 am

Ragtime wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
I think it would be awesome to have Gods for everything, like the Pagan type religions. If my car wouldn't start, I could just pray to Automobilus, the God of automobiles. Having random shrines around for the Gods would be neat too.

Just curious, what's holding you back from converting to a pagan religion? Those powers are real, they're just evil.

"pagan" and religious "powers" do not do anything that cannot be explained, and there is no scientific evidence or actual observation to prove that they are real.

Personally, if I found out that there was a God, I would be opposed to worshipping it. I believe that humanity should determine its own future, and not have a God force the human race to obey like sheep.

Humanity should prove itself. What would an omniscient and omnipotent God define as wrong anyway? Can anyone really say?
Exactly. Humans invented this "God" to define their views of right and wrong. What the conservative majority didn't like was put down as religious law. A cryptic code nonetheless.

Last edited by Anubis on 06 Jun 2007, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:00 am

Anubis wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
I think it would be awesome to have Gods for everything, like the Pagan type religions. If my car wouldn't start, I could just pray to Automobilus, the God of automobiles. Having random shrines around for the Gods would be neat too.

Just curious, what's holding you back from converting to a pagan religion? Those powers are real, they're just evil.

"pagan" and religious "powers" do not do anything that cannot be explained, and there is no scientific evidence or actual observation to prove that they are real.

Personally, if I was a God, I would be opposed to worshipping it. I believe that humanity should determine its own future, and not have a God force the human race to obey like sheep.

Humanity should prove itself.

It doesn't look like we can. :?

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:11 am

Anubis wrote:
Humans invented this "God" to define their views of right and wrong

I would say that God was a justification for their views of right and wrong.
'Why do I need to do this?'
'Because God says so.'
Who can argue with that?

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:16 am

The whole thing just seems quite silly. Master of Universe creates 2 people on 1 planet in the vast expanse of the universe filled with trillions of other planets. Creates Angels, Hell, Satan. Grants us free will and watches what we do, knowing exactly what that will be (omniscience). Sends us to Hell if we fail his tests and lets us into Heaven if we do what he asks. He's so obsessed with testing and judging us, and watching passively as millions cry out for his help. It's sick.

But then again, everything is our fault.

Thankyou God.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Jun 2007, 11:23 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
The whole thing just seems quite silly. Master of Universe creates 2 people on 1 planet in the vast expanse of the universe filled with trillions of other planets. Creates Angels, Hell, Satan. Grants us free will and watches what we do, knowing exactly what that will be (omniscience). Sends us to Hell if we fail his tests and lets us into Heaven if we do what he asks. He's so obsessed with testing and judging us, and watching passively as millions cry out for his help. It's sick.

Thankyou God.

Well the Bible God and the stories related to him are of little relationship to the attributes a real God would likely have. Oh I read our own little galaxy conatins 200-400
billion stars so the trillion number for plantets is certainly low for the universe. And if you include moons that alot places to put life.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:37 am

Mitch8817 wrote:

Thankyou God.

I spent an hour-and-a-half, and stayed up far too late on a work night, researching and answering these questions you asked in your other thread. :( Didn't help at all?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:40 am

Ragtime wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

Personally, if I was a God, I would be opposed to worshipping it. I believe that humanity should determine its own future, and not have a God force the human race to obey like sheep.

Humanity should prove itself.

It doesn't look like we can. :?

My mistake, I made a typo. :lol:

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 11:48 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:

Thankyou God.

Well the Bible God and the stories related to him are of little relationship to the attributes a real God would likely have. Oh I read our own little galaxy conatins 200-400
billion stars so the trillion number for plantets is certainly low for the universe. And if you include moons that alot places to put life.

In all that vast expanse of planets, it's kind of strange that we haven't even found a bug yet! :lol: We're still hoping and praying to find water. I mean, we've gotten no radio transmissions, no even probable indications of life anywhere but here. And, when you look at it from the other perspective, the from-the-void-of-space-to-Earth perspective -- MAN, we've got SO MUCH LIFE GOING ON DOWN HERE, compared to the deadness of all discovered outer space. I mean, if evolution is true, then when it works, it REEEEEEEEEALLLY works!! !! !! !! I mean, if hypothetical aliens were searching the universe for life, it'd go like: "Planet 1? Nope, no life. Planet 2? Nope, no life. ............... Planet 2,053,345? Nope, no life. Planet 2,053,346. WOW!! !! !! !! !! !! ! Look at all that life down there, baby!! ! WTF, we've been looking through totally-dead planets for billions of years, and the one that has life has it out the whazoo!"

I mean, if we, say, found a planet of caterpillars, that would be nice, and would help us feel less significant -- a little more random and evolved. (But it would also in no way contradict the Bible. It never says He didn't create other life.)

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 12:13 pm

Ragtime wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
Mitch8817 wrote:

Thankyou God.

In all that vast expanse of planets, it's kind of strange that we haven't even found a bug yet! :lol: We're still hoping and praying to find water. I mean, we've gotten no radio transmissions, no even probable indications of life anywhere but here. And, when you look at it from the other perspective, the from-the-void-of-space-to-Earth perspective -- MAN, we've got SO MUCH LIFE GOING ON DOWN HERE, compared to the deadness of all discovered outer space. I mean, if evolution is true, then when it works, it REEEEEEEEEALLLY works!! !! !! !! I mean, if hypothetical aliens were searching the universe for life, it'd go like: "Planet 1? Nope, no life. Planet 2? Nope, no life. ............... Planet 2,053,345? Nope, no life. Planet 2,053,346. WOW!! !! !! !! !! !! ! Look at all that life down there, baby!! ! WTF, we've been looking through totally-dead planets for billions of years, and the one that has life has it out the whazoo!"

I mean, if we, say, found a planet of caterpillars, that would be nice, and would help us feel less significant -- a little more random and evolved. (But it would also in no way contradict the Bible. It never says He didn't create other life.)

There is water on Mars and many other planets.

Last edited by Anubis on 06 Jun 2007, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.