Why would you want / not want God to exist?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 4:51 pm

(This can apply to any/all gods.)

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:06 pm

Of course. It would give me solid purpose, reason and hope - which is why people turn to religion I suppose.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:07 pm

I wouldn't want the Christian god to exist, because I'd be sent to Hell. Which I've heard isn't a nice place. 8)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

05 Jun 2007, 5:19 pm

I would want there to be because it would prove in my mind that the universe can not only start over but pass information to a new iteration of the universe. I think proving God existed in my mind (assuming he must be trying to avoid detection) would require a mechanism for him to come into being. And that in infinite time (assumes universe recycles and information can be passed) I accept he is more likely to exists than not.
Because the end of an iteration of the universe is the most likely time God would exists
(end result of evolution). But right now the notion of the universe even being infinite in any fashion seem not likely.

But if the Universe does recycle then you can be certain that it is trying each time to pass information to a new iteration. And may have tried and infinite number of times. If
it figures out how to do it ounce and nothing goes wrong then I assume God will come into being and if nothing goes wrong stay in existence. But its also likely its impossible for any information to be passed. Who knows we maybe in the iteration of the universe that for the first time got information from a past one sent to it and we have to assemble God with it. Like in the "5th Element".

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:27 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
I would want there to be because it would prove in my mind that the universe can not only start over but pass information to a new iteration of the universe. I think proving God existed in my mind (assuming he must be trying to avoid detection) would require a mechanism for him to come into being. And that in infinite time (assumes universe recycles and information can be passed) I accept he is more likely to exists than not.
Because the end of an iteration of the universe is the most likely time God would exists
(end result of evolution). But right now the notion of the universe even being infinite in any fashion seem not likely.

But if the Universe does recycle then you can be certain that it is trying each time to pass information to a new iteration. And may have tried and infinite number of times. If
it figures out how to do it ounce and nothing goes wrong then I assume God will come into being and if nothing goes wrong stay in existence. But its also likely its impossible for any information to be passed. Who knows we maybe in the iteration of the universe that for the first time got information from a past one sent to it and we have to assemble God with it. Like in the "5th Element".

So, a god you'd like to believe in would be inside the universe? Ya, I've heard of that theory that evolution will amount to a god one day. Seems to actually be really popular.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:15 pm

I would, because history makes it abundantly clear that mankind is not capable of govening himself. As individuals, some of us are, but when it comes to forming a society we are not. Democracy may be the best form of government man as ever developed, but it is good only in compairision to other systems that have been tried. We look to government as a check on human nature, yet governments inherit human nature from their creators and their components. That idea has never worked, and it never will.

Leaving aside what economic forces are doing to the planet, military technology alone makes it unlikely that we can survive for long without intervention from above.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 7:13 pm

I would not. Otherwise the universe would cease to make sense.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:03 pm

NobelCynic wrote:
I would, because history makes it abundantly clear that mankind is not capable of govening himself. As individuals, some of us are, but when it comes to forming a society we are not. Democracy may be the best form of government man as ever developed, but it is good only in compairision to other systems that have been tried. We look to government as a check on human nature, yet governments inherit human nature from their creators and their components. That idea has never worked, and it never will.

Leaving aside what economic forces are doing to the planet, military technology alone makes it unlikely that we can survive for long without intervention from above.

Agreed in full.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 12:03 am

because I blame him for having AS and I hope I'm blaming nithing rather then something

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 2:25 am

It's nice to think about a superior being looking after us and protecting us, I also like the idea of living in an utopian paradise similar to the one discribed in the Bible, with a truly loving and just God, not the scary god mentioned in the Bible. But wanting and dreaming is not the same as the reality. So I have no other than keeping my agnosticism for the time being.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 2:30 am

Sopho wrote:
I wouldn't want the Christian god to exist, because I'd be sent to Hell. Which I've heard isn't a nice place. 8)

LOL :lol:

I can't accept that a God who is supposely loving would send you to Hell just for being in love with a woman. It's Idiotic as you nicely put it :D

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 3:55 am

I really wouldn't mind either way. The god I have heard about is meant to be all-forgiving and compassionate so as long as I keep a true heart and do my best, I would have nothing to fear.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 4:10 am

I think it would be awesome to have Gods for everything, like the Pagan type religions. If my car wouldn't start, I could just pray to Automobilus, the God of automobiles. Having random shrines around for the Gods would be neat too.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 7:41 am

Cyanide wrote:
I think it would be awesome to have Gods for everything, like the Pagan type religions. If my car wouldn't start, I could just pray to Automobilus, the God of automobiles. Having random shrines around for the Gods would be neat too.

Pagan religions used to be more common, but the got supercieded by single god religions. Pagan religions was to weak and fragmented to compete.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 8:52 am

Cyanide wrote:

Just curious, what's holding you back from converting to a pagan religion? Those powers are real, they're just evil.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 9:00 am

Bak. Derk-derk-Allah. Derka derka, Mohammed Jihad. Haka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la.