Did you ever grew up in a time/place.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:16 pm

...when there was little or no knoweledge about autism/AS?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:18 pm

There was knowledge of autism, but not much of Aspergers.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:22 pm

For me in the place I was: Well understood
For most others in my time: Not at all!

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:22 pm

I grew up when there was knowledge of it that just wasn't applied.

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2007, 5:35 pm

I think there was little or no knowledge in my case. I am sure that if I were going through school today, I would be identified rather quickly as AS or HFA. I still can't understand how I made it all the way through school without some counselor or something identifying it and telling me about it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:47 pm

I did! My school said I wasn't social enough. I bet if it happened 12 years later I would have been diagnosed AS.

Steve

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Jun 2007, 5:50 pm

yes. wich is exactly why im getting ssi, the school system labeled me emotionally handycappd with a learning disability. there fault then now there paying, bastards. i should have been born someother time, like when they knew about As :D

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:01 pm

I didn't have Aspergers when I was a kid growing up in the 70's....I was just weird. :wink:

Where I grew up you didn't even hear the word.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:15 pm

richardbenson wrote:
yes. wich is exactly why im getting ssi, the school system labeled me emotionally handycappd with a learning disability. there fault then now there paying, bastards. i should have been born someother time, like when they knew about As :D

actually, Richard Benson, you fail to understand that "they" aren't paying. It is everyone that has Social Security taxes taken from their paychecks that are paying. We pay money in every check we earn so you can have it easier in your own life. We don't begrudge you the benefit, but it is better that you know your dreams of revenge is not actually happening. This is how our society is set up to help those that have issues, taxes pay for it. OK?

Merle

and I grew up in a world that didn't know Autism from their elbow. When out of the house I was kept in a full body leather harness, and they hung a sign on me that said "I BITE!". Inside the house they nailed the windows shut and had chain locks on the outside of a bedroom door. I should have also been born some other time, but then, I know about AS now and I ain't dead yet!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:23 pm

Asperger's was not known about when I was growing up.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:54 pm

Remember, the Asperger's diagnosis didn't even officially exist until the early '90s. I was thirty years old before I could possibly have been so diagnosed.

Waaayyy back in the Dark Ages of the late '60s, my younger sister was diagnosed with autism, and the psych tried to tell my mother it was because she was "cold" (little could have been further from the truth, but Bettelhein and Leshan were still respected names in the field then). Of course, they missed her comorbid schizophrenia, partly because the voices apparently told her that if she informed anyone else of their presence, they'd hurt whomever she told...

I was just weird. The interesting part was how adults would always assume I had some sort of peer group in school, when even the nerds would ostracize me. Eventually, however, I did come to what I believe is a healthy adjustment - I took pride in my "weirdness", and refused to give a crap what They all said about me. How could it have any meaning, after all, when They so obviously didn't know anything about anything deeper than football and NASCAR?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:13 pm

When I grew up, there was knowlege of autism, but not Asperger's Syndrome. There was, however a more generic term that was more or less a placeholder that Asperger's Syndrome superceeded in 1994. --That term was Social Retardation.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:14 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
...when there was little or no knoweledge about autism/AS?

lol i didnt really know it existed until about 1 week before i joined this place!

edit: sp

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:17 pm

Fogman wrote:
When I grew up, there was knowlege of autism, but not Asperger's Syndrome. There was, however a more generic term that was more or less a placeholder that Asperger's Syndrome superceeded in 1994. --That term was Social Retardation.

Exactly what he said. I wish they knew when I was young, it would have helped me more.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:11 pm

I am still growing up and I just found out about Asperger's a few months ago. I still think most people don't know much about it, if anything. I don't think people would have known enough about it for me to have been diagnosed when I was younger, though.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 6:10 am

I was born in 1984. Although I have never been oficially diagnosed I am almost sure that I am a person with ASD - I have a BIG number of traits - but it was the first time when I read about AS in 2003 or 2004. In the beginning I didn't think seriously that I could have something in common with autism even though I had always felt so different than other people. I simply thought that I resembled people with ASD in many aspects. It was last year when I started suspect something. I mentioned several times about my AS traits at school (it's not a shameful thing for me at all) but there was only my conversation course teacher for whom Asperger Syndrome wasn't an unknown cluster of words. A bit later I told my psychopedagogy teacher about my suspicions but even though she's a psychologist she confined herself to informing me that in her opinion my eccentricity has its origin in ... a wound in my soul :lol: :twisted: 8O I don't know what she meant by that 8O Some time ago I decided to talk to my mum and she was really angry, just as if it was the offence to her honour to suggest that a "disabled" child has gone out of her womb :lol: She's VERY NT, for her it was always a matter of great importance what other people think of us and in her opinion, let me quote, "I'm a freak but I don't have ANYTHING in common with ASD". She's a typical woman from a small town who is afraid of everything that is different and always tries to mock things like that. She associates autism with that stereotypical image of children rocking forth and back 8O Just like a lot of psychologists in my country, especially those who have studied long time ago.