Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AspieAirways
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2018, 6:51 pm

I recently got a diagnosis of ASD after professional testing, but surprisingly I was also diagnosed with many other diagnoses not sought. I was diagnosed with:

1) Autism Spectrum Disorder without Intellectual or Language Impairment
2) Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Moderate
3) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
4) Generalized Anxiety Disorder
5) Social Anxiety Disorder
6) Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive, Presentation Mild
7) Other Specified Neurodevelopmental Disorder (Processing Speed Deficits)

I was originally diagnosed with ADHD when I was a young child, so the ADHD diagnosis is not surprising. Most of the other diagnosis (in my opinion) seems to be a result of daily life with ASD/ADHD. Is it common for someone with ASD to have all of these comorbidities and to receive the diagnosis as result of ASD testing?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:54 pm

My two other diagnoses were OCD and Anxiety disorder and the psychiatrist said I still had ADD. I still had cluttering and the medicine he had me on made it less.

Sorry I can't really answer your question because I don't know either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:11 pm

AspieAirways wrote:
I recently got a diagnosis of ASD after professional testing, but surprisingly I was also diagnosed with many other diagnoses not sought. I was diagnosed with:

1) Autism Spectrum Disorder without Intellectual or Language Impairment
2) Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Moderate
3) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
4) Generalized Anxiety Disorder
5) Social Anxiety Disorder
6) Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive, Presentation Mild
7) Other Specified Neurodevelopmental Disorder (Processing Speed Deficits)

I was originally diagnosed with ADHD when I was a young child, so the ADHD diagnosis is not surprising. Most of the other diagnosis (in my opinion) seems to be a result of daily life with ASD/ADHD. Is it common for someone with ASD to have all of these comorbidities and to receive the diagnosis as result of ASD testing?

1)Autism Spectrum Disorder, Social Communication, Level 2, Restricted, Repetitive Behaviors, Level 2
2)Bipolar I Disorder
3)Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
4)Generalized Anxiety Disorder
5)Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Combined Type
6)Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia
7)Phobic Disorder

I've been diagnosed with Learning Disorder-NOS in the past, so I'm getting evaluated for Specific Learning Disorder and Developmental Coordination Disorder soon.

Last edited by livingwithautism on 04 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 9:43 pm

Ya, I'd say that everything you listed is commonly co-morbid with ASD, and many are thought to be caused by the same genes. For example, if there are people with OCD in a family, it's common for others in the same family to have ASD.

It's interesting - I was diagnosed with only ASD, and when I asked my psychologist whether he thought I might have ADHD as well, he seemed reluctant to give me a straight answer.

I think he was more or less saying no, but didn't seem the slightest bit certain about it, and I think he was implying that I should stop asking because he thought ADHD medication would be a bad idea for me (I happen to agree, but that has very little to do with whether I have ADHD). He also mentioned that, until the DSM-5 came out, psychologists weren't even allowed to co-diagnose ADHD and Asperger's. In DSM-4, there was a big overlap between the ADHD and Asperger's, but psychologists had to pick one or the other.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 7:36 am

I was diagnosed with ADD/LD-Dyscalculia when I was six years old; Asperger's wouldn't become an accepted diagnosis until 25 years later.
Just an observation; in the ensuing 50 years I doubt that I've ever met another human being with dyscalculia until I started hanging out on Aspie web sites.
It seems many ASD folks also suffer from MDD and GAD/SAD, but that might be secondary; living with Autism can be depressing and anxiety provoking.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 9:56 am

I was once reading a book that was published in 1984 and it was about kids with learning disabilities. Some of the kids in the book the doctor wrote about I wondered how many of them today would have a diagnoses of AS or ASD level 1.

I believe aspies then were given different labels then. Doctors picked up there was something but it wasn't autism then because autism was something more severe and significant. One of my online friends was diagnosed ADHD in 1987 and autism was negative then and then in 2004 he got a AS diagnoses. I was also given different labels in the 90's.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.