Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 7:47 pm

Or STD as I call it?

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2018, 8:48 pm

Actually kinda loving it. Why do you hate it?

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 5:53 pm

Only watched the first batch of 9 or 10 episodes so far - I think I heard it just resumed new episodes. I thought it was pretty good so far, especially the first couple of episodes really felt movie quality rather than just TV show quality. Was sad though that Michelle Yeoh was only there for the first few episodes which was clearly their intent but too bad because she is a great actress and fun to watch.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2018, 7:58 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Only watched the first batch of 9 or 10 episodes so far - I think I heard it just resumed new episodes. I thought it was pretty good so far, especially the first couple of episodes really felt movie quality rather than just TV show quality. Was sad though that Michelle Yeoh was only there for the first few episodes which was clearly their intent but too bad because she is a great actress and fun to watch.

I have a sneaky hope that she'll be back, but elaborating would involve possible spoilers so I'll zip it. ;)

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

Yes. I think the writing is abysmal and acting is poor, except for Jason Isaacs, whose character is very predictable. But it's working to the makers' advantage with me, since the more irritated I am by it, the stronger my urge to watch the next one :|
There is one thing I feel differently to most other detractors about, though: I actually quite like the Klingons and the use of subtitles. I assume that the communicator-translator scene will mean a transition to Klingons speaking English more because of implied translation, and I think that's a bit of a shame.
The only character I remotely like is Saru, and that's mainly because he's essentially a humourless Hollywood Kryten.

I think it suffers from the same thing as most TV, films and games, which is that it looks way over-designed - and by committee - so it has no distinctive visual and set-design style. It could have been really simplified and clean in style and fit nicely with when it's meant to be set, but it's just dark and messy and too effects-heavy for me. I think it'll age badly, too. For example, Tilly is an overused, "zeitgeist" sort of character (I absolutely can't stand her) and I think will look like a cliche in the near future even more than she already does. Oh yeah, and Culber's hair! It's too early 21st century :lol:

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 1:06 pm

Voynich wrote:
Yes. I think the writing is abysmal and acting is poor, except for Jason Isaacs, whose character is very predictable. But it's working to the makers' advantage with me, since the more irritated I am by it, the stronger my urge to watch the next one :|
There is one thing I feel differently to most other detractors about, though: I actually quite like the Klingons and the use of subtitles. I assume that the communicator-translator scene will mean a transition to Klingons speaking English more because of implied translation, and I think that's a bit of a shame.
The only character I remotely like is Saru, and that's mainly because he's essentially a humourless Hollywood Kryten.

I think it suffers from the same thing as most TV, films and games, which is that it looks way over-designed - and by committee - so it has no distinctive visual and set-design style. It could have been really simplified and clean in style and fit nicely with when it's meant to be set, but it's just dark and messy and too effects-heavy for me. I think it'll age badly, too. For example, Tilly is an overused, "zeitgeist" sort of character (I absolutely can't stand her) and I think will look like a cliche in the near future even more than she already does. Oh yeah, and Culber's hair! It's too early 21st century :lol:

Issue one: The ship is UGLY. Its rejected concept art from Star Trek Phase 2.
Issue two: Do the Klingons need another makeover? This is TOS era, so how about TOS looking Klingons?