What is more disabling? ASD level 1 or severe NVLD?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What is more disabling and problematic?
ASD level 1 with above-average IQ 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
severe NVLD which affects also social skills 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 21

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 8:42 am

What is worse, more crippling, disabling and causing more impairment in life (in the areas like social, occupational)?Autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language, especially with above-average intelligence or severe NVLD which clearly negatively affects social skills?

I think that NVLD may be worse than ASD. People with ASD are often good in visual thinking. In the case of NVLD this talent rather tends to be absent. In both ASD and NVLD clumsiness appear to be common. Both appear to be prone to emotional issues like anxiety disorders or depression.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 8:56 am

I have both. NVLD is worse by far. I don’t even have the above-average IQ to offset anything. NVLD means I have absolutely no sense of direction and can’t do tests that require free recall.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 9:29 am

Anything "severe" is worse than anything level 1("mild") because severity level states how much it interferes with daily life.

If I were to compare mild autism to mild NVLD I would say NVLD is worse but it would be just my opinion because if you taken my visual-spatial skills from me you would take my best asset and my main way to communicate with the world so I can't imagine living with NVLD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 9:38 am

It depends on the individual person.

Probably, in general, ASD Level 1 without NVLD is less disabling than severe NLVD, often associated with ASD's.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 9:43 am

I wouldn't like to say. I am diagnosed with neither but fit NVLD better. My social skills are described by mental health professionals as 'very poor'. My executive functioning and (visuo)spatial abilities leave a lot to be desired. I have a poor sense of direction. I also have signs of dyspraxia and dysgraphia (writing is legible but badly formed and I'm a slow writer with it deteriorating significantly if I try to write fast).
Occupationally- I have never worked. Socially-I have had less than a handful of friends in 60 years. I am described as ""Struggles to take care of his needs adequately"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 8:53 pm

I think more harm then good comes out of these who has it worse comparisons.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 9:16 pm

My diagnosis says that ASD is sometimes referred to as Asperger's Syndrome or Non-Verbal Learning Disorder. This seems to suggest that NVLD might not exist in the DSM-5 any more than Asperger's.

Does NVLD still exist in DSM-5, or are we comparing the ICD-10 NVLD to the DSM-5 ASD?

Safirecat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2018, 1:37 am

I have NVLD, and it is absolute hell. I can’t get anywhere by myself, I can’t read directions or navigate anywhere, I need routine, can’t do loud noises or bright lights, I have horrible social skills, can’t read facial expressions or put myself in the position of someone else. I can’t do math. My intelligence level is borderline intellectually challenged. I was once diagnosed with PDD NOS but my NVLD definitely cripples me more.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 2:55 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
Does NVLD still exist in DSM-5...?

No, DSM-5 doesn't recognise it. The source <link> that I looked it up on, also had this to say...

Quote:
...many young people with NVLD are currently often diagnosed within the DSM system; indeed, they often receive several DSM diagnoses—specific learning disability, ADHD, Developmental Coordination Disorder, Social Phobia, Autism Spectrum Disorder, or some variation of these.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 9:26 am

Safirecat wrote:
I have NVLD, and it is absolute hell. I can’t get anywhere by myself, I can’t read directions or navigate anywhere, I need routine, can’t do loud noises or bright lights, I have horrible social skills, can’t read facial expressions or put myself in the position of someone else. I can’t do math. My intelligence level is borderline intellectually challenged. I was once diagnosed with PDD NOS but my NVLD definitely cripples me more.

My mom keeps thinking that if I just try harder, I’ll be able to figure out where I’m going. I’ve tried telling her it doesn’t work like that with NVLD; I can study forever, but it will just fall out of my head. She doesn’t get it, though.

P192
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2018, 11:47 am

Severe NVLD is much worse for a person's emotional well-being. People with ASD's don't typically have the visual perception problems associated with NVLD, and while they have somewhat more social problems (difficulties with theory of mind), they usually don't desire to fit in with "neurotypical" society as much so it doesn't bother them.

NVLDers, on the other hand, are like people with ASD-like social problems who desperately want to connect with neurotypical society but are constantly rejected. That's why depression, anxiety, and suicide are so rampant with it.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 5:55 pm

I think that I have NVLD, but I have no depression and my social drive is relatively low. I rather do not crave close friends although I have need of romantic relationship with woman who would be similar to me. Maybe I have ASD in fact? Maybe I have no NVLD or maybe just a very mild form of it, which is not accountable for my social ineptitude?

I have no friends and even colleagues now and I am not so sad because of it. I (at least rather) have never had (serious) suicidal thoughts.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

I would say NVLD would be worse, because it increases your fear of getting lost in the middle of nowhere when driving, a big fear for me, even though I'm not diagnosed with anything.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 1:23 pm

I think that some cases of NVLD can be more disabling than some clinical cases of ASD. I think that NVLD, ASD and SCD should be in one subcategory of mental disorders. An individual with ASD level 1, well-developed speech, IQ 130 is more similar to average individual with NVLD than to a person with IQ 40, no communicative language and ASD level 3. I think that it is really unfair that individuals with social ineptitude and peculiarity which lasts since childhood are often not diagnosed with a disorder which would be in one subcategory with autism spectrum disorder. For me social NVLD and SCD are "technically sorts of autism". I coined the term "aucorigia" (from "autocontrast" and "originality") to describe ASD and similar conditions together.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2018, 7:08 pm

I have both, and for me, the NVLD is probably more debilitating. But that's because I'm a scientist and my difficulty with visual-spatial abilities and math have limited my career choices. And the fact that I can't drive. However, I probably deal with Asperger's problems more often, like with sensory issues. I think if being good at math weren't so important to me, the ASD would be worse for me in daily life.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 5:11 pm

I suppose that in USA I would be diagnosed with NVLD instead of ASD. I dislike physical discomfort, but rather do not have hypersensitivity to pain. I have problems with normal taking the shower. I am poor in technical matters. In Poland I was diagnosed with Asperger's but one of persons in autism-related foundation said that I (probably?) would be diagnosed with NVLD in America (or she said something similar). 4

I may wonder why one third of poll participants considered ASD level 1 with above-average IQ as more disabling than severe NVLD which affects social skills also. I think that severe NVLD is worse because it has no visualisation talent and, most importantly, its name is not as "disability-related" as the term "autism spectrum disorder". I suppose that NVLD people may be very poor in finding job and remaining in it. In USA I probably would have to find a job with my NVLD(-like) disorder which could be very problematic and I probably would not receive free money like SSI due to my developmental disorder. In Poland I got free money, maybe due to diagnosis of schizophrenia-type disorder, not AS.