Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

JonnaJarvela
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2018, 6:56 pm

I don't know how to put this in words but i'll try
Now the thing is sometimes i feel i am much shorter and when i get up i feel shocked becuase how tall i am or vice versa. I feel this about objects too when i feel like something is much smaller, shorter etc it is actually much bigger than i thought. I confuse object's or my height, largeness, i can't sense or remember it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 9:20 pm

I don't find what you wrote to be an "autism thing."

But what you wrote happens to me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 10:10 pm

I get that too. I think there's a name for it. Maybe spacial awareness. I think for me it's probably more a dyspraxia thing than an autism thing but idk.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

Can't remember, but there is a name for this phenomena, - I think an extreme form of it might be called Alice in Wonderland Syndrome, just off to look on wikipedia

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 10:22 pm

Here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_ ... d_syndrome but perhaps everybody has a bit of this kind of thing?

Possibly tied in with migraine, and you can have migraines without a headache.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2018, 12:06 pm

Had similair experiences

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

10 Jan 2018, 6:12 am

That's really funny, I get this too! Sometimes I look at houses and can't imagine how I could possibly fit inside one.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2018, 6:29 am

OutsideView wrote:
That's really funny, I get this too! Sometimes I look at houses and can't imagine how I could possibly fit inside one.

i get something a little similar... I'm always trying to work out the mathematics of the space of a vehicle, like a car, bus or train because for some reason my head just can't comprehend that two people can fit side by side (car) or for busses at a similar width to cars that can fit four people in a row, plus the space for the middle!

I also really really like things that are big, especially things that are bigger than they are meant to... like the nuts and bolts you see on bridges that are bigger than myself. It's an odd fascination that has a sense of power to it. It gives myself a really happy feeling, similar to that you get when listing to a certain piece of music that takes over your body.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 6:38 am

Alexanderplatz wrote:
Here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_ ... d_syndrome but perhaps everybody has a bit of this kind of thing?

Possibly tied in with migraine, and you can have migraines without a headache.

I just mentioned AIWS in another thread

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 12:44 pm

If that is an autism thing, it's not part of my autism traits.

The only times I have thought of something as very small, have been when I have seen again items that seemed big when I was little and that I haven't seen since then.
"Wow, it's so small!"
But that doesn't seem like the same thing you're talking about.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 1:40 pm

I don't get this so much with external objects, but my ability to estimate my own size and position is definitely wonky. I often duck under objects which would be way over my head, or stall when I have to step over a puddle because I can't work out whether I'm able to simply step across it. I can also find walking across patterned floors difficult sometimes due to being unsure when my feet are going to touch the ground, giving me a weird "walking on the moon" kind of gait.

I think for me, this is more to do with poor proprioception and sensory integration than anything else, as I can easily lose track of where parts of my body are if I'm not focusing directly on them. I think it's a big reason why I'm always covered in knocks and bruises from furniture and door frames, and forever knocking drinks over.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 2:11 pm

It might be a body awareness sensory issue.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman