Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 2:10 am

Do people like the game?

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 2:47 am

Yeah I do. It's relaxing. I played it while I was waiting for my food at a restaurant once with a pack of cards I had with me.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:37 am

I have a love-hate relationship with solitaire. It's certainly a fun game to play when I'm bored, but I hate it when there are no more possible moves. It's a game that relies on luck to a very large extent.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 9:48 am

I feel like a lot of that luck would actually be skill if I knew how to play the game properly. Surely there must be a strategy to it, rather than just plopping down the first card you find in the first place where it fits. I've never bothered to look it up, though.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 1:50 pm

I found it boring when I was up to my early 20's, but for the last 15 years or so I have found it relaxing and fun.

I also find Mah-Jong (DS) and Word search relaxing and fun.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 3:20 pm

Yes, I can spend hours playing solitaire (cards or mah-jong tiles.) I particularly like the "spider" style of solitaire on my Windows PC (The Windows thing of trying to make it a point scoring on-line "challenge" annoys me, though, so I always disconnect from the internet when I'm playing.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 3:33 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I feel like a lot of that luck would actually be skill if I knew how to play the game properly. Surely there must be a strategy to it, rather than just plopping down the first card you find in the first place where it fits. I've never bothered to look it up, though.

It's luck and skill.
I play it on computers a lot.

And I do run into that brick wall. You have a good hand. Slam dunk. But you a hit a brick wall. But on a computer you undo moves. And more than once I have the hunch that I made one fateful wrong move. So I undo each move one at a time to maybe a dozen moves back to that fateful move. And the proceed to play the same game from that move but making some other choice for that move. Sure enough I win. BUT... that fateful move? The wrong option I took in the first iteration of the game was just logical as the other option that won. Only a psychic coulda known different. So that fateful was indeed just luck.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2018, 4:07 pm

I used to play it on Windows XP and always tried to finish in possibly the shortest time. My record was 50 seconds. It was in 2011 but I still have a screenshot of it. Then I moved to Linux and I don't play any solitaire any more. I tried once or twice at university but these new solitaires on new Windows have too many animations and one cannot do it as quickly as I'd like to, it's too frustrating.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 6:59 pm

Solitaire is one of the greatest games ever