Mother tells Trudeau autism care is a 'human rights issue'

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 12:43 am

CBC

Quote:
A Nova Scotia activist and mother of a nine-year-old boy with severe autism asked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about his government's stance on setting up a national autism strategy during his town hall meeting in Lower Sackville, N.S., Tuesday evening.

Carly Sutherland's son, Callum suffers from violently aggressive fits. She has said she can't hug or touch her son. She said he screams and punches holes in the wall all day.

She has been advocating for nationwide, standardized support for people with autism, making up for aspects of care that are not paid for by the provinces.

"Families like mine should not have to subsidize health care and education for their disabled children," Sutherland told Trudeau. "This is a fundamental human rights issue."

Trudeau said while education and health-care delivery "are very much a responsibility for the provinces," there's more the federal government could be doing in terms of "the research side, on the advocacy side, on the support side."

Ottawa is investing "significant amounts of money" in autism research at the Canadian Institute for Health Research, he said.

Sutherland has been working to make changes in Nova Scotia to help families in similar situations. She held a press conference at the provincial legislature in November asking the government to take action, and has written a letter to the premier and other ministers outlining what her life has been like living without the proper supports.

Ahead of the the town hall meeting, Sutherland told CBC Radio's Maritime Noon autism is a federal issue.

"There's no cohesive leadership to set policy on how we deal with our assistance with autism," she said.

While a national strategy "will probably be too late for Callum," Sutherland said it could be helpful to other families.

"We need improved educational options for our children, we need evidence-based therapies to be provided. Families should not be subsidizing these kinds of costs. Right across the board it's a really desperate situation," she said.

I feel bad for Canadian autistics and there carers and Callum in particular. Everybody wants to put responsibility on somebody else and his mom thinks it is probably too late for him at age 9.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 6:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I feel bad for Canadian autistics and there carers and Callum in particular. Everybody wants to put responsibility on somebody else and his mom thinks it is probably too late for him at age 9.

Ah Canada... They ban people from immigrating if they have any kinds of chronic health problems, or if their relatives (!) have such problems.
I'd say that this policy is just plainly fascist, literally.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 1:58 am

XenoMind wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Ah Canada... They ban people from immigrating if they have any kinds of chronic health problems, or if their relatives (!) have such problems.
I'd say that this policy is just plainly fascist, literally.

How dare you talk that way about the dreamland of American progressives. :D

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 11:05 am

Quote:
While a national strategy "will probably be too late for Callum,"

Is this because support for autistic adults is already so wonderful that it doesn't need to be part of the strategy, or because Callum will cease to be autistic in adulthood? :twisted:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jan 2018, 11:20 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Quote:

Is this because support for autistic adults is already so wonderful that it doesn't need to be part of the strategy, or because Callum will cease to be autistic in adulthood? :twisted:

That's because the "evidence-based" ABA could be hard to force on a boy with a fairly developed personality.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 11:59 am

Trogluddite wrote:
Quote:

It is pessimism and ignorance about autistics derived in part from 9 years of trying to raise a child she does not really understand.

Autistic does not mean unintelligence and complete inability to be negatively affected by parental attitudes.