If you do things like bang your head or hit it, why?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 12:25 pm

If it's literal pain, you should see a doctor about it.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2018, 12:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If it's literal pain, you should see a doctor about it.

Its not exactly. Its hard to explain.

Khiori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

I only ever hit my head like that when I'm overwhelmed to the point of shutting down. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often. For example, a guy I'd been living with decided to break up with me. I never see things like that coming and in this case I didn't even have a vague inkling that something was wrong. It was the first time I'd ever lived with someone and suddenly everything I had gotten used to in my life was going to change and I couldn't do anything about it. I remember that I wedged myself in between a wall and a CD cabinet and started banging my head on the wall. It felt like my brain kept trying to re-boot and failing every time.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2018, 2:23 pm

When I have meltdowns (very infrequent, perhaps only 4-5 times a year) that is on the list of my behaviors. It’s a bad habit I know but when I have them I ball up on the floor, clench my teeth tightly, pull at my ears and bang my head on the floor pretty hard to where I can feel bruises in the days after my meltdowns, so I really try to avoid situations where I would degrade to meltdown mode. Sometimes it’s unavoidable though. That’s really the only time I bang my head, but when I’m bored I’ll sometimes push hard against something with my head, like the back of a couch or the wall where I’m standing. Not too hard but I just like pressure. I don’t do it when i am wearing my noise reducing earmuffs or whatever you call them because they put enough light pressure on my head to where I don’t seek it out.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jan 2018, 5:24 pm

I will occasionally bang my head (not hard) in relation to these things I call brain crunches, but I now suspect are autism-related.

My brain is collapsing in on itself and it's like there's a pressure as it all crunches together, and my functionality very limited. So I may bang my head as one of the actions I can do that feels better than not doing it, until the crunch passes. Same reasoning as the head jerking, rocking, repeating words etc. during a crunch.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2018, 5:46 pm

Cratilla wrote:
I will occasionally bang my head (not hard) in relation to these things I call brain crunches, but I now suspect are autism-related.

My brain is collapsing in on itself and it's like there's a pressure as it all crunches together, and my functionality very limited. So I may bang my head as one of the actions I can do that feels better than not doing it, until the crunch passes. Same reasoning as the head jerking, rocking, repeating words etc. during a crunch.

I’m no expert or anything but is it possible the ‘brain crunches’ are some kind of seizure? Have you had them all your life/ are they often? I don’t mean to pry so you don’t have to answer, I was just curious.

I may just have read your post wrong so if I’m way off base, I apologize.

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Pumpkin_Prince
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2018, 6:17 pm

I don’t bang my head violently or anything, if I’m sitting against a wall I like to sort of tap it against the wall because it’s comforting, the same as tapping my fingers against a table or something.
When I have a meltdown though I do punch walls, just because I feel like I need to release that energy or else I’ll go mad. I’ve actually managed to fracture one of my knuckles doing that, thankfully it only happens maybe once or twice a year these days.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 7:56 pm

Pumpkin_Prince wrote:
When I have a meltdown though I do punch walls, just because I feel like I need to release that energy or else I’ll go mad. I’ve actually managed to fracture one of my knuckles doing that, thankfully it only happens maybe once or twice a year these days.

I've seriously damaged my hands over the years , I've needed operations on them but opted out , i'm paying the price now. You need to try and channel your energy somewhere else rather than walls before you do irreversible damage ( don't know how though ).

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Miss_Skitty

11 Jan 2018, 8:29 pm

Similar to what a lot of people have already said here, I tend to hurt myself when I’m having a meltdown or feel like I’ve lost control of a situation, or if I’m super over tired. I tend to hunch into a ball and clench my hands into fists and smack my head with em to relieve the pent up stress or confusion, but it doesn’t happen very often at all.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 8:41 pm

My meltdowns are usually violent. Head banging is one of said 'behaviors' on the list among many things.
But I'd rather break something with my hands because it's my hands craves more stimuli than my head, or any other parts of my body. And does craves more stims outside meltdowns.
Also, I still think so too if I have another meltdown someday.
And still do it out of frustration when it happens.

Last I bang my head off at any surface is because of some dull headache I couldn't 'reach' or 'explain'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 10:12 pm

Some of my stims involve hitting my head. Sometimes with my hand, sometimes against a bar or wall if I'm standing near one. Never hard enough to hurt myself though.

Cratilla

12 Jan 2018, 2:12 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
Cratilla wrote:

I’m no expert or anything but is it possible the ‘brain crunches’ are some kind of seizure? Have you had them all your life/ are they often? I don’t mean to pry so you don’t have to answer, I was just curious.

Thanks for suggestion - these things are weird and I don't know what to make of them really.

Seizures have been suggested to me before, but I doubt that's the case, most particularly because they're semi-controllable. As far as I understand, a seizure is a thing that happens whether you like it or not. I'm not going to crunch whilst driving or something.

It's more of a rising agitation until I need to allow my brain to reboot, or it'll start shutting some systems down because I can't deal with this much.

I'm trying to work out what they are and what causes them at the moment. I got none over Xmas period despite being ill, tired and stressed, so they aren't a simple stress response. They seem to mostly be from the building agitation at busy shops and open-plan offices (complex noises is my guess) or social interaction. Hand-dryers seem to be a particular trigger point!

Not sure when they started - my entire adulthood, but I had too many problems as a teen to differentiate, and I have no idea as a child. Average once a day I'd say, when working. But I'm very bad at noticing the agitation and taking a few minutes break to reset before it's wanting to crunch.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2018, 2:27 am

Cratilla wrote:
ScarletIbis wrote:
Cratilla wrote:

Thanks for suggestion - these things are weird and I don't know what to make of them really.

Seizures have been suggested to me before, but I doubt that's the case, most particularly because they're semi-controllable. As far as I understand, a seizure is a thing that happens whether you like it or not. I'm not going to crunch whilst driving or something.

It's more of a rising agitation until I need to allow my brain to reboot, or it'll start shutting some systems down because I can't deal with this much.

I'm trying to work out what they are and what causes them at the moment. I got none over Xmas period despite being ill, tired and stressed, so they aren't a simple stress response. They seem to mostly be from the building agitation at busy shops and open-plan offices (complex noises is my guess) or social interaction. Hand-dryers seem to be a particular trigger point!

Not sure when they started - my entire adulthood, but I had too many problems as a teen to differentiate, and I have no idea as a child. Average once a day I'd say, when working. But I'm very bad at noticing the agitation and taking a few minutes break to reset before it's wanting to crunch.

I appreciate you answering. Thank you for satiating my curiosity! Thats the first I’ve heard of anything like your situation, very peculiar. I don’t know what to make of it either, but hey, what do I know, I’m just 17 :lol: . Hopefully your quality of life improves soon, once daily seems pretty disruptive and uncomfortable. Best of luck!

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jan 2018, 4:49 am

Pumpkin_Prince wrote:
I don’t bang my head violently or anything, if I’m sitting against a wall I like to sort of tap it against the wall because it’s comforting, the same as tapping my fingers against a table or something.

Yeah I do that too, but its not really what I was talking about.

Cratilla

12 Jan 2018, 4:53 am

ScarletIbis wrote:
I appreciate you answering. Thank you for satiating my curiosity! Thats the first I’ve heard of anything like your situation, very peculiar. I don’t know what to make of it either, but hey, what do I know, I’m just 17 :lol: . Hopefully your quality of life improves soon, once daily seems pretty disruptive and uncomfortable. Best of luck!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get more answers when I have an assessment in Feb, whatever they are.

I'm also going to buy myself some noise cancelling headphones, as the more I watch when the agitation and crunches occur, the more I think it's largely noise-based, so that might put a stop to them.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2018, 9:30 am

Cratilla wrote:
ScarletIbis wrote:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll get more answers when I have an assessment in Feb, whatever they are.

I'm also going to buy myself some noise cancelling headphones, as the more I watch when the agitation and crunches occur, the more I think it's largely noise-based, so that might put a stop to them.

Good idea! I got a pair of headphones that does that but it just reduces it, it doesn’t use the white noise thing to cancel out (constant white noise isn’t good for your hearing). I love those things, if you are in a bit of a tight budget, I recommend these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2OKZT3/re ... wAbNAZM1G9 they are the pair I got (they are awesome)