Schools making me choose between my future and my sanity

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2018, 11:03 am

So for my two elective subjects I was wanting to do business and drama.
Business because I feel those are gopd life skills for the future in general and there isn't any biology classes availabe because I am just going into year 10 and so it is just combined in a basic non optional science class. I want to be a doctor so, biology.
The second elective I wanted to pick drama, because I really enjoy it. It is one of the classes that really just let me wind down and relax, and the drama teacher is really nice. And my crush is doing drama, and me and her normally talked occasionly during it. Well she did more talking. I mainly listen. I am not much of a talker. Anyway She would talk to me there. I am too shy to approach her, be it in class or out of class, so I never really got to see her much elsewhere.
Now, this year drama and business classes take place at the same time so I had to choose.
Now I had to drop drama. It was a really cathartic class for me. I loved it. One of the only sources of stress releif I have.
Now I don't know whats going to happen next year. I ended up just getting put down for recreational studies instead, and I am not sure how that is gonna go.

Any advice?

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2018, 11:52 am

I'd say do what you enjoy more which is drama. Sure business would help more in the future but what is life if you can't do what you enjoy. And if you decide to do business I'm sure the girl wouldn't mind talking to you outside of drama.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 12:04 pm

Do whatever you can to get back into the drama class!
Talk to the teacher personally and tell her how much drama means to you. Even if right now its full or something don't give up, get put on waiting list in case someone drops it. (Don't mention the girl!)
PFfft Business class! You can learn whatever that was going to give you later,, maybe after you're a doctor and you want to invest or start your own practice.
Get into Drama!

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2018, 12:15 pm

Just a few things to clarify.

While yes, she probably would have no problem talking to me, I am way to shy. I never start conversations. Not even with freinds. I always wait for them to approach me. Too many things. What if they wan't to be left alone and I fail to realise because of body language? How do I start a conversation? Things like that.

Second I can't change classes. I had originally made my choice, and out down drama and business. Later I was told I could only do one because they take place in the same period of the day, and I was only given a few minutes to decide so I couldn't think it through. They are already locked in and to change it I would have to go through heaps of stuff. It would also be embarrassing trying to tell my mother that I think I made a wrong choice in the selection and I need her to contact the school and organise to change it.

And one of the reasons I want to learn business is because my family is rather poor, and so going through med school and such will be expensive and I will probably have to work and invest wisely to get through.

If I end up liking rec it won't be so bad I guess.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 11:33 pm

It does sound a bit too difficult to change classes now.
I agree and totally understand when you mention how hard it is to make decisions unexpectedly.
Hopefully there will be some interesting and smart students that take an interest in you in business class :).
Good Luck! and Sign up for Drama next year!

modaldragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2018, 11:29 am

I'm assuming you're in the UK, which I am too, so you're picking GCSE subjects. I think it's quite far into the year, so business it is, but you can always get private tutoring for drama :D

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2018, 11:39 am

modaldragon wrote:
I'm assuming you're in the UK, which I am too, so you're picking GCSE subjects. I think it's quite far into the year, so business it is, but you can always get private tutoring for drama :D

Australia actually.
It is the holidays right now, and school starts on the 29th.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jan 2018, 11:44 am

Your sanity is actually the part of your future that counts ;)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2018, 11:51 am

magz wrote:
Your sanity is actually the part of your future that counts ;)

Just a bit of hyperbole :D
Whats really going to drive me insane is insomnia