Page 34 of 34 [ 543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

ZZZTired
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2018, 2:17 am

The Arabic language is similar to terrorism, so it's unpleasant and unclean.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Apr 2018, 2:40 am

MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
So how would "пишем" be in Polish?

"Piszemy". Read "пишемы" or rather "пишэмы" – Polish "e" does not soften the consonant and does not alter to o.

By the way - isn't Unicode great?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Apr 2018, 2:44 am

ZZZTired wrote:

I disagree.
I really find Arabic calligraphy pleasant.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 3:38 am

I knew someone will post some BS.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 4:03 am

Chronos wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
я не понимаю, почему россияне пишут свои письма назад

Did you type it in English and do google translate? Because there are so many misused words that I can hardly even understand what you wrote. Here is what you were saying, if I take it the way it is written: "I don't understand why do Russians write their own letters back". So you meant "backward" as in from right to left, or "back" as in a reply to someone, but then it won't be "their own" letter or would it?

Were you asking why do Russians send replies? Because its not what it says.

I’m well aware of the google problem. I check for literal translation and then just do the best I can.

If you thought that was bad, you should have seen what I wrote first before checking it. It literally read: I don’t understand why Russians write their own person backwards.

Then its not the language, I just don't understand what you were alluding to. What do you mean by writing their own person backward?

The English words “letter” and “character” both have plural meanings. “Letter” can mean a letter of the alphabet or it can mean a message written on paper sent through the mail. “Character” can mean either a letter of the alphabet or it can mean person. If I use the word “character,” it translates to a Russian word that means person.

The Russian letter я (ya) looks like the Roman letter R and sounds nothing like it, whereas the Russian P is derived from the Greek Rho and sounds like the Roman “R.” Some of our words are similar, which means Russian shouldn’t be any more difficult to learn than German. But the letters all seem to be backwards.

The second meaning of character isn't person. It's the fictional embodiment of a person.

Ummm...you’re thinking in literary terms. I was thinking more the moral attributes of an individual. When discussing word meanings across languages, it’s best to work in the simplest possible ways. A non-Anglophone doesn’t have time for a doctoral dissertation on every definition of one or two words.

The definition of character I believe that was mistranslated roughly means “persona.” Depending on how well a Russian-speaker understands English, the word persona might not have been immediately clear. That’s why I chose the word “person” instead. Sometimes strict precision in language can actually be misleading. The English word for character translates to person, persona, or personality in Russian.

In other words, NOT what I meant. The word “letter” seemed to work better in translation.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 6:20 am

magz wrote:
ZZZTired wrote:

I disagree.

+1. The only more aesthetically pleasing script is Chinese. In my opinion, of course.

Calligraphy is a small hobby of mine. When I was in high school, I acquired a decent Germanic or Old English block hand and wrote my term papers with it. I never for the life of me could develop Italic script, but NOBODY does English block lettering like me. I suppose if I really tried I could do Hebrew. But Arabic would totally lose me. Too, er...”floral” for my ability. I imagine I could probably also do Cyrillic really well.

Just for fun I’ll take dry erase markers and write instructions on my white board in block style. It impresses the kiddos.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 3:27 am

AngelRho wrote:
magz wrote:
ZZZTired wrote:

I disagree.

+1. The only more aesthetically pleasing script is Chinese. In my opinion, of course.

Calligraphy is a small hobby of mine. When I was in high school, I acquired a decent Germanic or Old English block hand and wrote my term papers with it. I never for the life of me could develop Italic script, but NOBODY does English block lettering like me. I suppose if I really tried I could do Hebrew. But Arabic would totally lose me. Too, er...”floral” for my ability. I imagine I could probably also do Cyrillic really well.

Just for fun I’ll take dry erase markers and write instructions on my white board in block style. It impresses the kiddos.

This means Noelle and Zain

Chad and Tracy:

https://joshberer.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... -of-names/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 8:41 pm

ZZZTired wrote:

A man was actually detained on a flight once because he was writing mathematical expressions, which the person next to him thought was Arabic, and thus thought he was a terrorist.

The irony is, he was probably writing calculus, which is European in origin, but our numbers, 123456789, are Arabic.

MalchikBrodyaga
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2018, 9:14 pm

Chronos wrote:
ZZZTired wrote:

A man was actually detained on a flight once because he was writing mathematical expressions, which the person next to him thought was Arabic, and thus thought he was a terrorist.

The irony is, he was probably writing calculus, which is European in origin, but our numbers, 123456789, are Arabic.

And what happens to the arabs who DO write arabic but who aren't terrorist? Are arabs no longer allowed to fly?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2018, 10:22 pm

Chronos wrote:
ZZZTired wrote:

He could have been writing algebra. That's Arab.

Don't you think the Indians deserve some credit for our numerals?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2018, 7:32 am

This thread sure did take a weird turn.....

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2018, 12:17 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Chronos wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
MalchikBrodyaga wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
я не понимаю, почему россияне пишут свои письма назад

Did you type it in English and do google translate? Because there are so many misused words that I can hardly even understand what you wrote. Here is what you were saying, if I take it the way it is written: "I don't understand why do Russians write their own letters back". So you meant "backward" as in from right to left, or "back" as in a reply to someone, but then it won't be "their own" letter or would it?

Were you asking why do Russians send replies? Because its not what it says.

I’m well aware of the google problem. I check for literal translation and then just do the best I can.

If you thought that was bad, you should have seen what I wrote first before checking it. It literally read: I don’t understand why Russians write their own person backwards.

Then its not the language, I just don't understand what you were alluding to. What do you mean by writing their own person backward?

The English words “letter” and “character” both have plural meanings. “Letter” can mean a letter of the alphabet or it can mean a message written on paper sent through the mail. “Character” can mean either a letter of the alphabet or it can mean person. If I use the word “character,” it translates to a Russian word that means person.

The Russian letter я (ya) looks like the Roman letter R and sounds nothing like it, whereas the Russian P is derived from the Greek Rho and sounds like the Roman “R.” Some of our words are similar, which means Russian shouldn’t be any more difficult to learn than German. But the letters all seem to be backwards.

The second meaning of character isn't person. It's the fictional embodiment of a person.

Ummm...you’re thinking in literary terms. I was thinking more the moral attributes of an individual. When discussing word meanings across languages, it’s best to work in the simplest possible ways. A non-Anglophone doesn’t have time for a doctoral dissertation on every definition of one or two words.

The definition of character I believe that was mistranslated roughly means “persona.” Depending on how well a Russian-speaker understands English, the word persona might not have been immediately clear. That’s why I chose the word “person” instead. Sometimes strict precision in language can actually be misleading. The English word for character translates to person, persona, or personality in Russian.

In other words, NOT what I meant. The word “letter” seemed to work better in translation.

I suppose we can say it has three meanings then.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2018, 12:22 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
ZZZTired wrote:

He could have been writing algebra. That's Arab.

Don't you think the Indians deserve some credit for our numerals?

Yes, you are correct. Hindu Arabic.

He was writing differential equations.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 8:52 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
This thread sure did take a weird turn.....

That's what makes threads fun! Wouldn't L&D be a sad place without all the fun little tangents?

PurplePlumz
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2018, 5:57 am

What happened to this thread?