Why do all white males get judged for privilege?

Page 1 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2018, 6:59 pm

I agree that white guys in western europe, north america and south europe have a privilege.

But in what way do white guys in eastern europe have a privilege? Their nations are very poor, they have a history of being opressed for 500 years by non-white turkish ottoman empire and communist-russia. In what way do white guys in east europe have a privilege?

This talk about "all white males have a privilege" is not true when we take a look at east europeans.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 5:14 pm

I'm not sure but I guess I'd go about asking what their status is in relation to women and foreigners in eastern european countries.

But the white privilege thing doesn't mean every single white man is priveleged compared to any member of another ethnicity and sex, as far as I know.-

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 5:39 pm

What privilege?

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm

Quote:
But in what way do white guys in eastern europe have a privilege?

Imagine a place where a Kalashnikov round wrapped in straw is a traditional wedding gift from the bride's father to the groom; signifying that if his wife proves unsuitable, he has her father's permission to kill her without starting a vendetta. Imagine a place where women are forced to walk ahead of the cattle, because land mines. Imagine a place where it sucks so badly to be a woman, some choose to live as "privileged" males.

Albania's 'sworn virgins'

"Nothing in the whole world is more dangerous than willful ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
Martin Luther King

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 5:59 pm

Me as an unemployed, severely mentally ill man vs a middle class feminist with a well paid job- she's privileged.
Me vs an unemployed severely mentally ill woman- I could be privileged.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 6:32 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Me as an unemployed, severely mentally ill man vs a middle class feminist with a well paid job- she's privileged.

How so?

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 6:36 pm

firemonkey wrote:

Having better qualifications than you for a job doesn't constitute 'privilege'.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 6:44 pm

Piobaire wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Funny enough, I recently beat someone for a job who was WAY more qualified then me... I am sure it had nothing to do with diversity requirements (I checked off some boxes for them :lol: ) :roll:

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 6:56 pm

Piobaire wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Surely you're intelligent enough to know it's about more than better qualifications, or perhaps not. Or do you really think a poor,severely mentally ill male is more privileged than a healthy and wealthy middle class feminist?

I am all for equality and agree as a society we need to work towards it, but this blanket idea that if you're white and male you're therefore automatically 'privileged' is quite frankly ridiculous and offensive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 12:39 am

I can walk or drive pretty much anywhere, day or night, with little fear of being hassled by the cops, whereas blacks and Latinos can't. That's white privilege.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 1:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I can walk or drive pretty much anywhere, day or night, with little fear of being hassled by the cops, whereas blacks and Latinos can't. That's white privilege.

Not all blacks or Latinos have that issue. How many blacks in the north west are harassed? I’ve never heard of any.
Also I’ve been talked to by security and cops walking around. I doubt billionaire blacks have any such issues. It’s more cops harass poor men cause poor men are seen as criminals.

Most women about seem to think ill rape them just cause I’m a man. So are women privileged cause they don’t get such reactions?
Mean I get treated as such just because I got off at the same stop and going the same direction. It’s ridiculous

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 1:48 am

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Not all blacks or Latinos have that issue. How many blacks in the north west are harassed? I’ve never heard of any.
Also I’ve been talked to by security and cops walking around. I doubt billionaire blacks have any such issues. It’s more cops harass poor men cause poor men are seen as criminals.

Most women about seem to think ill rape them just cause I’m a man. So are women privileged cause they don’t get such reactions?
Mean I get treated as such just because I got off at the same stop and going the same direction. It’s ridiculous

Here in the Spokane area, we had had an overzealous police chief at one time, by the name of Terry Mangan, who had made a name for himself for harassing black kids. Thankfully, that jackass is long gone. Admittedly now a days, the Spokane and Spokane Valley police forces are showing their racial understanding by just murdering white guys, and nearly killing a Native American guy named Shanto Pete.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jan 2018, 2:11 am

My country is not Albania but according to UN, it's part of the Eastern Europe.
Almost everybody is white here. The majority of immigrants come from the former Soviet Union so their skin color has exactly the same variety as of the locals.
Some Eastern Asians in big cities, they are seen as hard working and not causing trouble, thus OK.
Some recent immigrants from Middle East. Probably facing the most discrimination, people are sort of afraid of them if they didn't prove they can integrate into the local culture.
Very little Africans, I guess they may still be stared at because they are so rare. Usually having a good career before coming here.

As for treatment of women, I have an impression that here women are treated more seriously than in the West. I was positively startled when in the parent's discussion of this forum mothers reported being ignored by their children's teachers and therapists but when their husbands came to say exactly the same they were listened to.
No way for something like that here. Women are traditionally in charge of organisation of family affairs and they are taken exactly as seriously as men. Or even more when it comes to kids, as the women are expected to be better informed.
I'm definitely not discriminated against in my male-dominated workplace. Being a woman is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. Being a mother is a widely accepted and supported disadvantage because everybody assumes I need to care for my children and so I have less time for work.
On the other hand, companies like to hire single mothers as managers because "they would do much more than others to keep their job".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 5:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

How so? Just driving around, the cops can’t tell your race. More so around here in the land of tinted windows. If your not breaking the law or be suspensions, then they rarely hassle you. Other then to point out that a light is out or they feel my tint is to dark; they always stop after I show them medical card. It seems like cops can’t do their job anymore of enforcing the law. Hell, I’m not even sure the last time I been stopped by a white cop.

I happen to appear white, how come I always get stopped by TSA when I am traveling commercial? Yet other none whites just walk on through...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

SH90 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How so? Just driving around, the cops can’t tell your race. More so around here in the land of tinted windows. If your not breaking the law or be suspensions, then they rarely hassle you. Other then to point out that a light is out or they feel my tint is to dark; they always stop after I show them medical card. It seems like cops can’t do their job anymore of enforcing the law. Hell, I’m not even sure the last time I been stopped by a white cop.

I happen to appear white, how come I always get stopped by TSA when I am traveling commercial? Yet other none whites just walk on through...

And yet it's non-white drivers being stopped all the time.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 2:37 pm

sly279 wrote:
How many blacks in the north west are harassed? I’ve never heard of any.

This is such BS.