Why do all white males get judged for privilege?

Page 7 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

avlien
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm

Sorry I'm so late to the fray. The short answer is: because they have privilege by default, without having to earn any of it. You immediately qualify your question as relating to poor countries in Eastern Europe, but that is a completely different discussion since your titular query was "Why do all white males get judged for privilege?"

I have just been reading Weapons of Math Destruction: How big data increases inequality and threatens democracy & it devotes quite a lot of itself to explaining this. Put simply: The world is run, by & large, by white men. So it follows that the vast majority of bias in the Western hemisphere, whether conscious or unconscious, falls favorably toward white men.

If you would like to know more about unconscious bias, few have put more effort into documenting it as Google. Here's the presentation Google gives employees on how to spot unconscious bias at work (care of Business Insider).

As for conscious bias, one needs look no farther than any civil rights movement.

Of course, in other parts of the world (Asia, for example) where white men are not the cultural leaders, this will be different but it is difficult to find many major cultures that are anything other than patriarchal. Those that are have historically been either marginalized or persecuted into extinction, particularly by what is arguably the most prolific patriarchy of all time: Catholicism (see: heresy, inquisition, crusades, etc). The last major non-patriarchal culture I can think of were the Cathars (the etymological source of the word "catharsis") of southern Europe, who were systematically exterminated during the Albigensian Crusade.

Patriarchy has been asserted, & often forced, on cultures historically. Knowing this I can completely understand why many people resent white male privilege. Taking it a step farther, this privilege also extends specifically to neurotypicals, since it is fundamentally a form of discrimination & thereby implicitly ableist as well. Even if one is a white male, the full extent of "white male privilege" still isn't felt if one has a disability.

Knowing these things, can you see why people excluded from this privilege might resent it?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 12:47 am

avlien wrote:
Sorry I'm so late to the fray. The short answer is: because they have privilege by default, without having to earn any of it. You immediately qualify your question as relating to poor countries in Eastern Europe, but that is a completely different discussion since your titular query was "Why do all white males get judged for privilege?"

I have just been reading Weapons of Math Destruction: How big data increases inequality and threatens democracy & it devotes quite a lot of itself to explaining this. Put simply: The world is run, by & large, by white men. So it follows that the vast majority of bias in the Western hemisphere, whether conscious or unconscious, falls favorably toward white men.

If you would like to know more about unconscious bias, few have put more effort into documenting it as Google. Here's the presentation Google gives employees on how to spot unconscious bias at work (care of Business Insider).

As for conscious bias, one needs look no farther than any civil rights movement.

Of course, in other parts of the world (Asia, for example) where white men are not the cultural leaders, this will be different but it is difficult to find many major cultures that are anything other than patriarchal. Those that are have historically been either marginalized or persecuted into extinction, particularly by what is arguably the most prolific patriarchy of all time: Catholicism (see: heresy, inquisition, crusades, etc). The last major non-patriarchal culture I can think of were the Cathars (the etymological source of the word "catharsis") of southern Europe, who were systematically exterminated during the Albigensian Crusade.

Patriarchy has been asserted, & often forced, on cultures historically. Knowing this I can completely understand why many people resent white male privilege. Taking it a step farther, this privilege also extends specifically to neurotypicals, since it is fundamentally a form of discrimination & thereby implicitly ableist as well. Even if one is a white male, the full extent of "white male privilege" still isn't felt if one has a disability.

Knowing these things, can you see why people excluded from this privilege might resent it?

This is utter nonsense, did blacks somehow magically become privileged when Obama was the most powerful person in the world. Just because autonomous individuals happen to share the same skin tone and gender as me does not mean I have the same power or advantages as they do. Women are better treated by law and society in the western world.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:18 am

"All" doesn't appear to make sense.

Go to a male homeless shelter, you'll see a row of white guys ("bums") lined up outside.

Seems ridiculous to argue that they have some inherent "unearned favorable bias".

People don't have favorable opinions of "bums".

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 12:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Powell's views are well known to everyone on WP. I'll leave it at that.

Your prejudice is not justification for making fallacious claims of association. His views may be erroneous (or, indeed, he may be correct), but what's important are the thought processes and intentions which inform these views, or would you like to establish a principle of your own, just as DarthMetaKnight did, and abandon the Principle of Charity?

Quote:
You do know you sound like you're taking the side of the white nationalists, don't you?

By which you mean "You do have a decent understanding of my perspective and how I'm likely to misinterpret your arguments because it serves my purpose to try and paint you as morally unsound by association, don't you?".

You're repeatedly making the foolish mistake of assuming your unprincipled arguments are unassailable. They are far from such.

Quote:
That's especially the case as you've denied white racism has any impact on non-whites.

And Bill adds another strawman to his ever-growing, increasingly insubstantial army.

You have my entire posting history at your disposal. Provide, with full context, any or all quotes to support your claim. Failure to do so shall be considered an admission that you're either purposefully engaging in shallow bigotry or deliberately trolling.

Quote:
Sure Trump did it, but it hardly helped his popularity.

His popularity was sufficient to carry him all the way to the White House. But that's entirely irrelevant. Standing by your principles is not a popularity contest - far from it in fact. Perhaps your esteem is directly tied to how you believe other people perceive you. It would certainly explain the virtue signalling, the reliance on dogmatic stances rather than principles, the seeming desire to sniff out witches and the support and justifications for violence done on ideological grounds.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm

avlien wrote:

Let's temporarily ignore the fact that the above is both sexist and racist in order to take part in a little thought experiment.

Without me telling you anything about myself, operate on the assumption that I have white skin.

Now tell me which substantive privileges I have which are granted to me solely because of my presumed skin colour. By substantive privileges, I mean de facto benefits which impact my life in a meaningful way, and which can be directly attributed to my skin colour.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a Kafkatrap. I therefore feel obliged to inform you that literally any presumption you make based on my assumed skin colour cannot possibly be anything other than racist.

Disclaimer #2: As the leading authority on the subject of me, my life and my experiences, my judgement of the legitimacy of any presumption/s you make shall be deemed final.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:29 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Powell's views are well known to everyone on WP. I'll leave it at that.

Your prejudice is not justification for making fallacious claims of association. His views may be erroneous (or, indeed, he may be correct), but what's important are the thought processes and intentions which inform these views, or would you like to establish a principle of your own, just as DarthMetaKnight did, and abandon the Principle of Charity?

Quote:
You do know you sound like you're taking the side of the white nationalists, don't you?

By which you mean "You do have a decent understanding of my perspective and how I'm likely to misinterpret your arguments because it serves my purpose to try and paint you as morally unsound by association, don't you?".

You're repeatedly making the foolish mistake of assuming your unprincipled arguments are unassailable. They are far from such.

Quote:
That's especially the case as you've denied white racism has any impact on non-whites.

And Bill adds another strawman to his ever-growing, increasingly insubstantial army.

You have my entire posting history at your disposal. Provide, with full context, any or all quotes to support your claim. Failure to do so shall be considered an admission that you're either purposefully engaging in shallow bigotry or deliberately trolling.

Quote:
Sure Trump did it, but it hardly helped his popularity.

His popularity was sufficient to carry him all the way to the White House. But that's entirely irrelevant. Standing by your principles is not a popularity contest - far from it in fact. Perhaps your esteem is directly tied to how you believe other people perceive you. It would certainly explain the virtue signalling, the reliance on dogmatic stances rather than principles, the seeming desire to sniff out witches and the support and justifications for violence done on ideological grounds.

Talk about strawmen! This thread is not about my principles, but about white privilege. Talk to me when you get back to the subject.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 1:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Talk about strawmen!

I shall! Until such a time as you cease relying on them.

Were you perhaps confused by my re-framing of your subjective allegation of 'guilt by fabricated association' in a manner that deconstructed its pretence to objectivity?

Quote:
This thread is not about my principles, but about white privilege.

Any thread in which you elect to post an argument in is about your principles, as well as those of the other posters. Otherwise we may as well be standing in front of mirrors. Why are you still confused by this?

Quote:
Talk to me when you get back to the subject.

Nay. I shall continue to watch you dance until you find some principles upon which we can forge a constructive discourse.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:15 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Talk about strawmen!

I shall! Until such a time as you cease relying on them.

Were you perhaps confused by my re-framing of your subjective allegation of 'guilt by fabricated association' in a manner that deconstructed its pretence to objectivity?

Quote:
This thread is not about my principles, but about white privilege.

Any thread in which you elect to post an argument in is about your principles, as well as those of the other posters. Otherwise we may as well be standing in front of mirrors. Why are you still confused by this?

Quote:
Talk to me when you get back to the subject.

Nay. I shall continue to watch you dance until you find some principles upon which we can forge a constructive discourse.

Then from now on, you can post till you're blue in the face, because I will no longer respond till you actually have something constructive to say, rather than personal attacks on my principles.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Then from now on, you can post till you're blue in the face, because I will no longer respond

You've already made this promise.

You're sending me mixed messages. If you don't want to kiss and cuddle, stop batting your eyelashes.

Quote:
till you actually have something constructive to say, rather than personal attacks on my principles.

How can one sentence contain so much wrongness?

The oxymoronic claim to victimhood is especially exquisite. Is there an award I can nominate you for?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:23 pm

Let's see if I got this:

Discriminating against certain people because of their race is racist.

Giving certain people preferential treatment over other people based on their race is racist.

Suggesting that people who want to discriminate based on race are racist is not racist, but the person making the allegation is.

I'm sorry, what?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:44 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Let's see if I got this:

Discriminating against certain people because of their race is racist.

Giving certain people preferential treatment over other people based on their race is racist.

Suggesting that people who want to discriminate based on race are racist is not racist, but the person making the allegation is.

I'm sorry, what?

"Like a dog!"

...as if the shame of it should outlive him.