My problems with social life (can't fit in & social anxiety)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2018, 8:38 am

Hi all.

I'm 20 years old and want to make some changes in my life.
Lately i'm usually at home. But throughout my life, i've experienced some problems in social life. For example, at high school (i finished high school 2 years ago) i was lonely and quiet. Let me explain my problems below.

1. I'm socially anxious. I sweat, my face gets red, my voice gets low. When i join a social group, or when i enter the classroom, i think everyone looks at me. I change my walk style unintentionally. But I want to be relaxed, be normal. How can i do this? I'm using some anti depressants about this but they dont work.

2. I can't fit in. People are joking, talking, hanging out together... But I'm serious most of the time. And im not brave enough to start talking with them. So i get lonely and they call me quiet, i feel excluded.

3. I have aspergers syndrome: And worst of all i have autism. Sometimes i dont understand people's behaviours. Sometimes they dont understand me. For example 3 or 4 years ago an old man told me "are you always angry". i dont know why. I just responsed to his question.

Now, i want to fix my problems but dont know how. My english might be bad sorry for this. Please give me advices, ty.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 8:40 am

Are you seeing a therapist at present ?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 12:00 pm

If you have the possibility, find a therapist - not just any therapist, but one with extra knowledge concerning autism.

Is there an autism-centre or some kind of organisation around?
If so, they might provide you with some kind of help, coaching... or show you the way to the best therapist, self knowledge course or whatever they can offer.

Regarding problem 1: "You should know how little they actually think about you and look at you. They´re busy minding their own thoughts and transactions" (my moms words, when I had the same problems).
You can boost yourself slowly, little by little by learning that thought.

I hope, you´ll find some help.

u3694191997
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2018, 1:47 pm

I'm 20 years old just like you.

You are basically describing me. I am socially anxious and can't fit in. I sweat, face gets red, stutter alot.
The time when I discover I might be on the spectrum, I got relieved. I care less about how people think of me. This is who I am. It is easier to find friends that share common interests (like playing video games) But I am not sure if I have asperger syndrome or not, I might be too high functioning to have it.

Try seeing a psychologist/therapist, they are always there to talk to you, and understand your situation better.
I hope this will help you!

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2018, 9:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Are you seeing a therapist at present ?

No. But i'm going to a psychiatrist once a month. Each session is 15 to 30 minutes. She don't give me any advices to be honest. She asks about my life and decides which anti depressants or other pills i should take.

modaldragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm

Some charities give over-the-phone therapists. You could try that!

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2018, 11:19 am

u3694191997 wrote:
I'm 20 years old just like you.

You are basically describing me. I am socially anxious and can't fit in. I sweat, face gets red, stutter alot.
The time when I discover I might be on the spectrum, I got relieved. I care less about how people think of me. This is who I am. It is easier to find friends that share common interests (like playing video games) But I am not sure if I have asperger syndrome or not, I might be too high functioning to have it.

Try seeing a psychologist/therapist, they are always there to talk to you, and understand your situation better.
I hope this will help you!

The worst thing is that people probably make fun of me. For example when i say something to other people, sometimes they laugh. I dont know if it's a problem with my voice or my words. But it's annoying to live with autism and social anxiety.