Mild intellectual disability or ASD lvl 1 - what is worse?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What is more disabling and problematic?
mild intellectual disability (without ASD) 58%  58%  [ 18 ]
ASD level 1 with above-average intelligence 42%  42%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 31

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 9:09 am

I'm the same way. Even though I'm not necessarily looking to just put more facts into my head at this time, I am glad I do know things. I am working now on learning relationships. It feels good to be connected to people who share similar interests.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2018, 9:15 am

nca14 wrote:
Which condition is more disabling and causes more problems in life in your opinion? Mild intellectual disability (mild disorder of intellectual development) or ASD level 1 without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language with above-average intelligence?

In Poland mild ID is not enough to get disability certificate (one has to have at least moderate intellectual disability to have disability certificate because of intellectual disability), which I think is unfair.

If you have both what then? See article on Bipolar Disorder.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 3:27 pm

Can a person with intellectual disability have ASD level 1? Or maybe ASD in people with ID is always more severe than among people with higher IQ?

I think that I have (predominantly social) NLD which is regularly misdiagnosed as Asperger's. I was good in scholastic area (generally) and very poor in occupational. I had 3 job interviews and after all of them I did not get the job. I do not have sensory overloads or maybe even hypersensitivity, but normal shower can be really problematic and unpleasant for me so I tend to avoid it :(

I am interesting if NVLD with high intelligence can be more disabling than mild ID. Many people considered ASD with high IQ worse than mild ID. Does NVLD can be also considered worse than MID? Do people with ID have social ineptitude and intense interests like individuals with ASD or NVLD?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

Looking at the definition of ASD level 1, it doesn't actually say anything about intellectual level. And people with mild intellectual disability can be fully verbal and not that severe in the actual autism traits.

I'm not sure about NLD, but I think people with ID do have social impairments; they're just consistent with their intellectual abilities, not below their intellectual abilities as is typical with autism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 5:44 pm

Mildly ret*d vs mildly autistic?

That's the question stated in plain talk.

If God had asked me back when I was a disembodied spirit who hadn't been incarnated yet I dunno which I would have picked. But like most folks who are already alive and incarnate I would go with having what I already am which is mildly autistic, but with normal IQ or above.

Actually I didn't read it carefully. I answered the poll with which I would rather PUT UP WITH, and not the opposiste :which is worse (what was asked). Crap.

So it should eleven to sixteen in favor of mildly ret*d being worse, and not 12 to fifteen. My bad.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 7:23 pm

^^^ Now that you mention it, I think I voted the wrong way too, misinterpreting the question.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2018, 10:06 pm

ASD is considered more disabling where I am.

High intelligence isn't everything. AS is a mixed bag that carries a number of problems along with any intellectual gifts or talents. Some of these problems interfere with being able to function properly in society. A lot of us also have other conditions along with it such as depression, anxiety, OCD and ADHD for example.

I have a very high IQ but do quite poorly coping in social situations and can no longer hold a job or live very well for the reasons listed above. So, it doesn't really do me a lot of good from a disability standpoint.

In our town there are employment agencies and assistance programs that help people with intellectual disabilities to find and keep jobs and to live on their own. With help, a lot of people with mild ID can do well.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 3:41 pm

My IQ is about 87th percentile and I have MSc title, but I have no friends and have social ineptitude. I have disability level 2 due to mental health problems. If I would have IQ not better than 70, I rather would not have higher education. I loss a lot due to problems with presence (hair, shaving, clothes, showering - it can be really unpleasant when the water is too cold or hot). I am underemployed now, I have quite discomfortable job thanks to disability certificate. I do not have driving license and have never driven a car.