Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 5:58 am

Do Aspergic/autistic children laugh/smile less than their neurotypical peers ? For those diagnosed as children-did you laugh/smile as a child?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 6:31 am

I wasn't diagnosed as a child, but my dad was always telling me to "cheer up". I never understood as I didn't feel "uncheered" so didn't know how to "cheer". He must have said it many times over the years as it's an abiding memory.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 7:20 am

I wasn't dxed as a child either but I do remember being told by various people to smile. It used to make me frown.

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2018, 7:52 am

Lol I was/am the opposite. I smiled all the time, I still do even when upset or angry. I always have been told I am really cheerful but I honest to god have no idea how to show anything else.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 7:58 am

Apparently, I did not. I was always told I needed to smile more. That it took fewer muscles to smile than it did to frown (than how come it hurt my face when I smiled?) And that when I smiled in pictures, you could tell I was autistic because I had this "look" in my eye and a fake smile. I remember having a neutral expression most of my life and when I stopped pulling fake smiles in my school pictures and just had a neutral expression, those ended up being some of my mom's favorite pictures of me. But no, I did not smile much as a kid. It wasn't because I wasn't happy.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 8:02 am

^^^ I'd forgotten that. Smile for the camera. I always hated doing it and ended up looking like a deranged vampire.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:37 am

I smile sometimes, but have been told that my smile looks really odd. Most of the time, I think my face looks really sad.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:48 am

Nowadays I feel I look like a refugee from a village idiot contest or one of those extreme psychiatric cases when I smile .

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 12:48 pm

Trueno wrote:
^^^ I'd forgotten that. Smile for the camera. I always hated doing it and ended up looking like a deranged vampire.

Smile for the camera ! That was a guaranteed way of making me make a stupid forced face

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 1:21 pm

I've never smiled much, and usually it's been forced. Always been "too serious".

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2018, 1:35 pm

I never smiled when I was a child.
And when I first arrived in the UK for my studies, I noticed that British students like to smile at each other a greetings. Something that's not present in Hong Kong's students (where I'm originally from)

So I picked up this smiling habit.

When I returned to Hong Kong, I find that people get really happy when I smile at them, and that this smiling makes me a more likable person than I originally was.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2018, 11:40 am

I guess I'm the odd one out. I was told I smiled too much, but that was because it made me look "special needs" as a kid, according to my mom. I never stopped, though. I play a weird game in public, where I smile at as many people as I can get to make eye-contact with me and "win" if I get them to smile back. Really not an Aspie kind of game, and it's strange because I'm terrible at both maintaining eye-contact and smiling on command. Still, it's an interesting way to learn about people. Teenage girls hate to be smiled at, I've found. Even as a little kid, smiling at one would earn me a heated glare. Middle-aged women are 50/50. Men just don't make eye-contact all, maybe because I'm a young girl. But boys are the most interesting. They have some truly dramatic reactions to eye-contact, though I don't smile at them for fear of giving them the wrong idea. I once made eye-contact with a boy and he immediately apologized and ran off. The single best reaction, though, has to have been from an older man in a library. I was down the aisle from him, and he turned to look at me at the same moment I glanced at him. The color drained out of his face, and he just whispered in horror, "Oh, no." Humans are so strange.