Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

future prediction poll-will things improve or deteriorate in the future?
things are gonna get worse. :| 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
things will get worse before they get better. :| 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
things have turned a corner, better days are at hand. :) 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I dunno. :shrug: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ice cream please! :chef: 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 5:22 am

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I think in the next 10 years there will be a cure for some autistics and it will be called a treatment. At that point the autitics advocates will have an ethical dilemma freedom of choice vs drop in the number of autistics which will would rob the neurodiversity movement of the ability to define autism and set the agenda.

There already are treatment options for ASD. I've been sharing on these forums for over 4 years now how I treat my own symptoms via diet, supplements, and a natural medicine protocol. People here think I'm nuts & I think they're nuts for thinking I'm perpetuating a lifelong hoax for my amusement and rejecting what I have to share w/o ever trying any of it for themselves.

You are calling you findings “treatments”. What I am thinking is an actual cure that will be called treatment for marketing purposes. People who use it whatever it is, are no longer autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 5:32 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I think in the next 10 years there will be a cure for some autistics and it will be called a treatment. At that point the autitics advocates will have an ethical dilemma freedom of choice vs drop in the number of autistics which will would rob the neurodiversity movement of the ability to define autism and set the agenda.

There already are treatment options for ASD. I've been sharing on these forums for over 4 years now how I treat my own symptoms via diet, supplements, and a natural medicine protocol. People here think I'm nuts & I think they're nuts for thinking I'm perpetuating a lifelong hoax for my amusement and rejecting what I have to share w/o ever trying any of it for themselves.

You are calling you findings “treatments”. What I am thinking is an actual cure that will be called treatment for marketing purposes. People who use it whatever it is, are no longer autistic.

Uh, I'm calling the diet I consume & medicine I utilize treatments.. because they are. They treat & minimize my ASD and other symptoms, enabling me to live the much fuller life that I do now. At my best, my symptoms (IMO) are subclinical & I likely wouldn't receive a formal diagnosis. At my worst? Off the charts/very obvious diagnosis.

Interesting that you think there will be a cure & that it will be sold/marketed as a treatment in order to rid the world of ASD. I don't think it's likely to ever happen that way. Commercially marketed treatments for any disorder are exactly that, treatments.. because there's immense profit to be made with lifelong customers refilling prescriptions. There's sweet F all to be made if there were such a thing as a one shot cure in a pill, and that's why I think it's extremely unlikely to happen. $.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm

I predict there will be more than a few DACA people who will get the dirty end of the rumpstick.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 11:07 pm

I have a feeling regarding most people in America, if they didn't pay attention to the news and politics, they wouldn't notice any changes. Their daily routines and experiences would remain the same.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm

I predict that automated source separation algorithms will be democratized to the point where they can be used on things like web tablets.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 10:57 am

Let's face it, we're doomed. But at least we still have ice cream to at least temporarily relieve our sorrows. :) Although I don't usually eat much ice cream in the winter because it's just too cold. :( Although sometimes I'll put a scoop of it on a warm dessert, like apple pie. :) But I find that when I eat something that's hot and cold at the same time, it hurts my teeth. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 6:27 pm

I predict that many more americans will become unemployed and unemployable in the coming few years.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 6:43 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Uh, I'm calling the diet I consume & medicine I utilize treatments.. because they are. They treat & minimize my ASD and other symptoms, enabling me to live the much fuller life that I do now. At my best, my symptoms (IMO) are subclinical & I likely wouldn't receive a formal diagnosis. At my worst? Off the charts/very obvious diagnosis.

Interesting that you think there will be a cure & that it will be sold/marketed as a treatment in order to rid the world of ASD. I don't think it's likely to ever happen that way. Commercially marketed treatments for any disorder are exactly that, treatments.. because there's immense profit to be made with lifelong customers refilling prescriptions. There's sweet F all to be made if there were such a thing as a one shot cure in a pill, and that's why I think it's extremely unlikely to happen. $.

It may not be a pill at all, I'm thinking more along the lines of gene editing and infant behavior modification to deflect or prevent the autism before the brain wires itself autistic. And since autism is so complicated it will cure a subset or certain subsets of autistics not every autistic. What do you think all the emphasis in early detection is about?

Diagnosing Infants 6 to 18 Months of Age
LIVE: Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) for Infants and Toddlers with Autism

Tool Could Snip Genes to Treat Cancer, Autism
Quote:
A new technique could allow scientists to edit and repair the human genome, and perhaps one day treat diseases or conditions linked to our genes.

Researchers have figured out how to use the gene-editing tool known as CRISPR-Cas9, on the messenger RNA that carries genetic instructions from the cell's nucleus to make new proteins.

The experiment, by scientists at the University of California, San Diego, could lead to new treatments for diseases caused by malfunctions in the messenger RNA, such as fragile X syndrome, some types of cancer, autism and neurodegenerative diseases.

"Now we have the ability to modify RNA in live cells," said Gene Yeo, associate professor of molecular medicine at UCSD and a senior author on the study published today in the journal Cell.

Yeo's team figured out a new way of targeting and tracking RNA as it moves through human cells.

"It opens up a new area of thinking about manipulating genes and disease," he said. "In many diseases you cannot edit the genome, you can break the genome into pieces. But here we are doing transcription engineering or editing. That's quite exciting."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 Jan 2018, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 6:51 pm

i'm predicting that many truckers will be declared surplus workers in the coming years due to technology, and that there will be almost no places to re-employ them in any capacity.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 5:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

It may not be a pill at all, I'm thinking more along the lines of gene editing and infant behavior modification to deflect or prevent the autism before the brain wires itself autistic. And since autism is so complicated it will cure a subset or certain subsets of autistics not every autistic. What do you think all the emphasis in early detection is about?

Diagnosing Infants 6 to 18 Months of Age
LIVE: Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) for Infants and Toddlers with Autism

Tool Could Snip Genes to Treat Cancer, Autism
Quote:
A new technique could allow scientists to edit and repair the human genome, and perhaps one day treat diseases or conditions linked to our genes.

Researchers have figured out how to use the gene-editing tool known as CRISPR-Cas9, on the messenger RNA that carries genetic instructions from the cell's nucleus to make new proteins.

The experiment, by scientists at the University of California, San Diego, could lead to new treatments for diseases caused by malfunctions in the messenger RNA, such as fragile X syndrome, some types of cancer, autism and neurodegenerative diseases.

"Now we have the ability to modify RNA in live cells," said Gene Yeo, associate professor of molecular medicine at UCSD and a senior author on the study published today in the journal Cell.

Yeo's team figured out a new way of targeting and tracking RNA as it moves through human cells.

"It opens up a new area of thinking about manipulating genes and disease," he said. "In many diseases you cannot edit the genome, you can break the genome into pieces. But here we are doing transcription engineering or editing. That's quite exciting."

re: bolded What do you think all the emphasis in early detection is about? - I'm sure it's exactly as it sounds. Early detection = early intervention/treatment - same with treating any other disease/condition/ailment etc the earlier it's detected, the better chance at treatment rendering a more normal & complete fuller life. Obviously the ASD community will be very divided on what is best, whether ASD is an illness tat "needs" to be treated, whether treatment is beneficial or not etc etc. Personally, as one of very few ASD people on the planet who does treat his ASD with medicine, it's my persoanl & experiential opinion that treatment is better than no treatment, and the earlier in life the better chances one has of living a full and more normal-ish life. I figured these things out at 30-31 years old. Had I learned these things and applied them when I was 17 I'd be a way differnt, possibly healthier and wealthier, person today. Had ASD been detected in me and I received treatment as a infant/toddler, I may have developed differently - more NT- and be living a naturally better life vs. a medicinally enhanced one. Or maybe I'd be similar but require less medicinal intervention than I do now. No matter which way you slice it, I feel like had I been treated earlier in life Id likely be reaping the benefits of that now at age 35 vs. having to do the hard work of the treatments I do now. I can't possibly know for sure, but I feel as if I were treated earlier I'd have develeped better and require less treatment than I do npw.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 12:02 pm

Yesterday I went and bought ice cream and pound cake. The cake is room-temperature, so it's more balanced. :mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

I predict there will be another gov't shutdown.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 2:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:

We can all only hope that it's very soon and much more real.. could you imagine if these guys stopped meddling in everything for a week just how much more relaxed the whole world would be?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 3:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

We can all only hope that it's very soon and much more real.. could you imagine if these guys stopped meddling in everything for a week just how much more relaxed the whole world would be?

unfortunately [speaking as an ex-uncivil servant of the federal gov't] it puts 800k federal works in a financial bind.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

unfortunately [speaking as an ex-uncivil servant of the federal gov't] it puts 800k federal works in a financial bind.

Meh, temporary. It'd be for the greatest good of the world if the current administration stopped "working," for a while - not federal employees.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 4:20 pm

unfortunately, the federal employees have rent to pay, cost of living doesn't go away when orangehair refuses to deal with the democrats, and the armed forces have to work for free at these times as they can't get any furloughs. as a critical-care employee of a military hospital, I couldn't get a furlough either. so I worked for free during the last GOP gov't shutdown.