Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 5:54 am

The following is a recommended methodology in achieving greater objectivity when presenting a concept or analysing the integrity of existing information.
My reason for this thread is born out of frustration... :mrgreen:

Quote:
Key Question: How objective is this piece of information?

Establishing the objectivity, or relative objectivity, of information is the third aspect of evaluating information. While it is unlikely that anything humans do is ever absolutely objective, it is important to establish that the information you intend to use is reasonably objective, or if it is not, to establish exactly what the point of view or bias is. There are times when information expressing a particular point of view or bias is useful, but you must use it consciously. You must know what the point of view is and why that point of view is important to your project.

Another part of objectivity / point of view / bias worth considering is the question of your own personal point of view or bias. Having a point of view or bias on a topic is not bad - you should have developed some sort of opinion about your project. The question revolves around what you do with it. You can use your own point of view to shape your interpretation of the information available on a topic, as long as you:

honestly acknowledge all points of view on an issue
logically and fairly address those which disagree with your own
do not ignore or dismiss information because it does not support with your point of view
document your point of view to the best of your ability

Some indications that that information is reasonably objective are:

all relevant data is presented; even when it does not support the preferred point of view
all views of an issue are presented and none are preferred
all views of an issue are presented even though one is preferred
the topic is presented in a clear and logical manner
assertions, statements, opinions, etc. are documented
a variety of reliable sources are used to support the point being made
the purpose is clearly stated

Some indications that information may not be objective

only one view of an issue is presented
other views of an issue are attacked or ignored
not all data is presented; only data supporting the preferred point of view is presented
assertions, statements, opinions are presented as facts without adequate documentation
emotion-arousing language is used to persuade the audience of a point without any accompanying documentation
derogatory language is used
the presentation is illogical or contains logical fallacies
the purpose is not clearly stated or is hidden
converting the audience to a particular point of view is the primary purpose

http://www.info-skills.lib.vt.edu/evalu ... nfo/8.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:01 am

Quote:
Perspective is everything, especially when it comes to examining your beliefs. Are you a soldier, prone to defending your viewpoint at all costs — or a scout, spurred by curiosity? Julia Galef examines the motivations behind these two mindsets and how they shape the way we interpret information, interweaved with a compelling history lesson from 19th-century France. When your steadfast opinions are tested, Galef asks: "What do you most yearn for? Do you yearn to defend your own beliefs or do you yearn to see the world as clearly as you possibly can?"

There is no question I am a scout who has difficulty with what could be described as a blinkered thinking mentality...
Sometime I wonder if there is any thinking involved at all... :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:31 am

Quote:
Confirmation Bias is part of human nature. We all are susceptible to it. But why is it such a universal human condition? And what can we do to move beyond it?

The main reason I included this podcast in this thread is because I was ROTFLMFAO!
While it gives a good presentation of confirmation bias, it hardly involved "the science of objectivity" I am wishing to present when the presenter gives his political example... :mrgreen:
This bias was stated as being deliberate, and boy did he do a good job...<chcukle>

BTW, it isn't the elephant you need to worry about, it is rather the infernal internal emotional reptilian beast... :wink:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:38 am

Ultimate objectivity is knowing that we never know if something is true.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:48 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Ultimate objectivity is knowing that we never know if something is true.

Thank you for your post but I don't see how this is relevant to the context of the thread...

Cheers... ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 8:08 am

A good find...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 9:42 am

Absolute objectivity only occurs in a utopia.

One should seek to be as objective as possible, however.

I try to consider all sides before I make a determination.

I determined, for example, that the Holocaust occurred, based upon a preponderance of the evidence. My subjective side wishes it never happened.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:20 pm

Unconscious bias is not a conspiracy theory...
It is used/manipulated in advertising "religiously"...

To attain a higher degree of objectivity one must:
- "know thy self"...
- know the psychological principles used in childhood indoctrination...
- know that tribalism is real...
- know the Truth of the evolutionary process and how it has moulded our collective minds...

<angrily shakes fist in the air at the evolutionary process> :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Absolute objectivity only occurs in a utopia.

One should seek to be as objective as possible, however.

I try to consider all sides before I make a determination.

I determined, for example, that the Holocaust occurred, based upon a preponderance of the evidence. My subjective side wishes it never happened.

To be clear, so there is no misunderstanding:
Krafty, I like you...
You are a very decent person...
Cheers m8... :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 12:42 am

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood... :mrgreen:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 1:12 am

Pepe wrote:
Thank you for your post but I don't see how this is relevant to the context of the thread...

Cheers... ;)

This is topic is about "objectivity".

People who fail to realize that "truth is unknowable" get biased by purported truths like "facts, evidence, what they see/hear, what "experts" say ... ". They lose their objectivity in the face of all these "facts".

They let opinion/interpretation influence them so much, that they come to believe "facts" means "truth".

They also become resistant to alternate possible "truths".

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 22 Jan 2018, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2018, 1:30 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Cheers... ;)

People who fail to realize that "truth is unknowable" get biased by purported truths like "facts, evidence, what they see/hear, what "experts" say ... ". They lose their objectivity in the face of all these "facts".

They let opinion/interpretation influence them so much, that they're resistant to alternate explanations.

People can't handle the ''unknowable truth'' when they have build an identity of a know-it-all.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 1:38 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Cheers... ;)

They let opinion/interpretation influence them so much, that they're resistant to alternate explanations.

Thank you for your post...

Would it be correct to say the context of your post is focused on philosophical consideration?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 1:46 am

Spyoon wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Cheers... ;)

People can't handle the ''unknowable truth'' when they have build an identity of a know-it-all.

Thank you for your post...

The context of this thread has more to do with objective methodology when presenting ideas/arguments and the analysis of the objectivity of previously presented arguments/intellectual-constructs...

Cheers... :wink:

Spyoon
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2018, 2:49 am

Confirmation bias is something like a special interest to me.
And what LoveNotHate said is right. It is practical and beneficial to always asume that our fact-based opinions could be wrong . For example Socrates probably never said the above phrase .

Now Pepe, you made a point and tagged some sources, but you are not open to have a public discussion around the topic.(?)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 4:30 am

Spyoon wrote:

Now Pepe, you made a point and tagged some sources, but you are not open to have a public discussion around the topic.(?)

Thank you for your very reasonable comment...
Have you read my 2 previous posts before this one?

I would like to discuss the objective methodology as describe by my first post using the guideline obtained from the VirginiaTech web site: http://www.info-skills.lib.vt.edu/evalu ... nfo/8.html

This a learning thread for me (apparently that is all I create...lol), so I wish to stick to the context I provided initially in the first post:
"The following is a recommended methodology in achieving greater objectivity when presenting a concept or analysing the integrity of existing information."

I guess I would like some order to this discussion in particular...
And ideally, I would like a resolution which would give me greater skills in future endeavours...

Experience has taught me many conversations/threads go off the rails if parameters, definitions and context are not defined...
I am merely politely indicating where the borders of this discussion are...

Clear as mud? :wink: