Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 10:08 am

I can 'feel' the mood or atmosphere in a room. It's not mysterious to me how others have this ability. Usually the moods of people affect me, even when I was a small child.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 7:49 am

AspieSingleDad wrote:
I suppose I've come to terms with this mysterious ability NT's have. Too bad an NT wasn't available to reply. It does make me wonder what else I'm missing regarding their abilities.

A big one for me is multitasking, not just doing things at the same moment but having things in my life. There's only room for one thing to get any proper focus so everything else is on a sort of auto pilot or I can't do it. I do a good job on auto pilot but only for as long as there are no real problems. I can manage only one problem or difficulty at a time.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 9:31 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
AspieSingleDad wrote:
I suppose I've come to terms with this mysterious ability NT's have. Too bad an NT wasn't available to reply. It does make me wonder what else I'm missing regarding their abilities.

A big one for me is multitasking, not just doing things at the same moment but having things in my life. There's only room for one thing to get any proper focus so everything else is on a sort of auto pilot or I can't do it. I do a good job on auto pilot but only for as long as there are no real problems. I can manage only one problem or difficulty at a time.

I'm currently doing clinicals for physical therapy and unfortunately I find I can't function well enough on autopilot. I literally have to will myself to keep extremely alert (I'm probably using a lot of adrenaline) in order to ensure the safety of my patients and plan their treatments. I'm hoping that, over time, I'll be able to put some aspects of my future job on autopilot, only because I know I'm stretching my autistic brain thin.

jadix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 9:32 am

I can determine happy, sad, listening, but only after a while. And I find myself talking when I realize I shouldn't be. I am not sure how to tell beyond happy/joking, and serious clumps to bored, sad, and studious. I can't differentiate without hearing the conversation first.

lwilder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2018, 1:39 am

When I walk into the break room at work, it's fairly easy to sense the mood in the room because there are less than twenty people there. It's an automatic, quick and superficial scan and processing of the tone of voice people are using and their body language - also where they are in the room. If they are all interacting and laughing at one person's comment while being animated, smiling - then the mood of the room is light and happy. I like your question because it made me think: What if I'm wrong and just think I'm reading the room accurately? Not sure how to test that...

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:23 am

lwilder wrote:
When I walk into the break room at work, it's fairly easy to sense the mood in the room because there are less than twenty people there. It's an automatic, quick and superficial scan and processing of the tone of voice people are using and their body language - also where they are in the room. If they are all interacting and laughing at one person's comment while being animated, smiling - then the mood of the room is light and happy. I like your question because it made me think: What if I'm wrong and just think I'm reading the room accurately? Not sure how to test that...

Are you NT? Also, I think even pretty darn autistic people are going to read a room if people are laughing, etc. What about more complicated situations?