Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2018, 8:12 am

I seriously fear that once The United Kingdom leaves the EU, that the United Kingdom shall itself disassemble into its components: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Moreover, the way English refer to themselves as British, hoping others in the UK do the same; is simply eerily and uncannily like how Germans refer to themselves as Europeans, these days, hoping others in the EU shall do the same.

Moreover, The UK, much like the EU, is not so much a single country, but rather a Bloc of Separate countries, held together by a Royal Family. What if, just what if, the Windsors were to flee to The Dominion of Canada, taking all their money out of the UK? What then?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 8:50 am

TwinRuler wrote:
What if, just what if, the Windsors were to flee to The Dominion of Canada, taking all their money out of the UK? What then?

I doubt they will go to Canada.

In Canada it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

HauntedKnight
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2018, 9:04 am

TwinRuler wrote:
What if, just what if, the Windsors were to flee to The Dominion of Canada, taking all their money out of the UK? What then?

I'd say good riddance. But not gonna happen as they take loads of money from the British tax payer which the Canadians wouldn't do.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2018, 9:19 am

TwinRuler wrote:
I seriously fear that once The United Kingdom leaves the EU, that the United Kingdom shall itself disassemble into its components: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

This seems unlikely in the short term. Support for Scottish independence hasn't increased despite many (:shrug:) predicting it would. It's less economically viable now, too. There's no appetite for Welsh independence (any more than Cornwall or Yorkshire) and the GFA is likely to stand in Northern Ireland.
Quote:
Moreover, the way English refer to themselves as British, hoping others in the UK do the same; is simply eerily and uncannily like how Germans refer to themselves as Europeans, these days, hoping others in the EU shall do the same.

I don't think those are particularly English or German things.

Quote:
Moreover, The UK, much like the EU, is not so much a single country, but rather a Bloc of Separate countries, held together by a Royal Family. What if, just what if, the Windsors were to flee to The Dominion of Canada, taking all their money out of the UK? What then?

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of the UK, and particularly the importance of the royal family! The UK is not the Commonwealth, and even the Commonwealth is increasingly independent of its head. The royal family play only a ceremonial role in this country and are by no means essential to national unity.

They're also not that rich. What wealth they do have is largely controlled by the state and tied up in land. They don't own many of the things they use. The Queen can't run off to Canada with the crown jewels, and if she did, there would be no direct impact on our economy (the crown jewels do not pay nurses).

The Queen's personal fortune is about £100m, and again, that's not liquid - it's tied up in stocks and shares of British companies. While that's a sizeable amount by the standards of mere mortals, it's a drop in the ocean for the wider economy.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:33 am

It seems to me that British businessmen have more power than the royals.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:33 am

HauntedKnight wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

I'd say good riddance. But not gonna happen as they take loads of money from the British tax payer which the Canadians wouldn't do.

And, the Canadians are as serious as a heart attack about their firearms. Royals squeal and run at the mere utterance of the word by "commoners" (except Wills and Harry who love obliterating hundreds of animals in a single day when they get the unchaperoned chance).

No, I put my money on the royals skedaddling to the self-governing British Crown dependency, the Isle of Man, and taking their chances with mounting an attack on the High Court of Tynwald (the world's oldest legislature). After all, even actor John Rhys-Davies (The Lord of the Rings) once said that his adopted home (IoM) consisted of "70,000 alcoholics clinging to a small rock in the Irish Sea." I suspect that they might be a titch prone to anger, as well. The royals wouldn't last long there, either.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:54 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

I doubt they will go to Canada.

In Canada it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

If I were the Royals I would "flee" to some other commonwealth place, like to Jamaica, or the Bahamas, or Bermuda!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
HauntedKnight wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

And, the Canadians are as serious as a heart attack about their firearms. Royals squeal and run at the mere utterance of the word by "commoners" (except Wills and Harry who love obliterating hundreds of animals in a single day when they get the unchaperoned chance).

I don't think this is true. The Royals are pretty passionate recreational shooters, and have a long tradition of military service. My grandfather was a gamekeeper at Sandringham. Doubt they'd mind living in a country like Canada, which after all only has similar gun ownership rates to France and Germany. It's hardly Yemen.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 1:15 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
HauntedKnight wrote:
TwinRuler wrote:

I don't think this is true. The Royals are pretty passionate recreational shooters, and have a long tradition of military service. My grandfather was a gamekeeper at Sandringham. Doubt they'd mind living in a country like Canada, which after all only has similar gun ownership rates to France and Germany. It's hardly Yemen.

While I don't wish to derail the OP topics, the royals might be enthusiasts, but do they allow their "subjects" to do the same? I understand that it is quite difficult to convince the U.K. government to bestow a firearm certificate to a taxpaying U.K. citizen. Why is that? I can't imagine the royals standing on line to apply for a government permit. So, there is a discrepancy between how royals may enjoy shooting sports versus how citizens do so.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2018, 3:14 am

I actually fear that the United Kingdom has no real future. I consider myself an Anglophile, and that is precisely what makes me feel so sad.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 8:12 am

TwinRuler wrote:
I actually fear that the United Kingdom has no real future. I consider myself an Anglophile, and that is precisely what makes me feel so sad.

Exactly. This isn't the nation that my ancestors created.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jan 2018, 8:57 am

AspieUtah wrote:
While I don't wish to derail the OP topics, the royals might be enthusiasts, but do they allow their "subjects" to do the same? I understand that it is quite difficult to convince the U.K. government to bestow a firearm certificate to a taxpaying U.K. citizen. Why is that? I can't imagine the royals standing on line to apply for a government permit. So, there is a discrepancy between how royals may enjoy shooting sports versus how citizens do so.

The royals don't allow their subjects to do anything, because they don't have the ability to allow or disallow their subjects from doing anything.

They have exactly the same degree of power in Canada.