Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 7:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Great E.G.G. also said that the rules weren't carved in adamantium.

Sure, but sometimes it's interesting to read through the OD&D LBB and try to play the game the way it began. I made my own "Outdoor Adventures" replica map, and I'd like to try running it a bit more "by the books" some day.

According to Gary's house rules, when he returned to running the three LBBs (no Greyhawk) later in life, he went with "Ability scores rolled as best 3 out of 4d6. Arrange scores to taste.", which was first mentioned in the 1E DMG somewhere, tucked away from the other options he offered in the PHB (which 2E "fixed").

But I assume a lot of his OD&D houserules were because he was running games at conventions, and wanted to speed things up a bit. It's really hard to say what was in his head.

http://cyclopeatron.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... rules.html

Quote:
I like playing humans, even if it means being single-classed. Of course, this is under 2e rules, and not the video-game-on-paper rules of 3e or greater.

4E is definitely more like a video game. 3E is just a lot more reliant on miniatures, and too many fiddly bits that seemed like change for the sake of change.

...and annoying things like "attacks of opportunity" :roll: Okay, fine, I take a five-foot step and then disengage.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 7:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
My first character under 2nd edition rules

Name: Bog
Species: Human
Class: Fighter-7
STR: 18/96
DEX: 13
CON: 14
INT: 5
WIS: 7
CHA: 3
h/p: 53

Bog talk like Tarzan. Bog fight. Bog like fight. One, two, three, all same time! Bog fight, eat, drink, sleep, fight some more! Life good for Bog!

Did you really roll an 18 (three 6s) and a 3 (three ones) in the same session? The statistical chance of that is like winning the lotto.

If this were my character, I'd have equipped him with a ogre like club as his favorite weapon. This guy isn't smart enough to learn swordplay, and he would enjoy the simple beauty of smashing things. Also, swords cost money and you know this guy isn't getting laid for free with a cha of 3. For armor I'd go with something like hide or leather. Again, hes no knight, and metal armor costs lots of money and takes training to get used to.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

Last edited by RainbowUnion on 23 Jul 2018, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 7:35 pm

Yes,

1. My big main one is a female elf named Arnel and she's a third level
2. The second one is a halfing named Roseberry.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 7:59 pm

My favorite character: (AD&D 2nd ed) (Note that ability scores were done by rolling 4d6 and discarding the lowest roll).

Name: Krenwulf
Class: Fighter
Level: 12
Str: 18/85
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Dex: 13
Con: 15
Cha: 16

Hp: 72

Weapons: Battle Axe (Favored Weapon)
Broadsword
Dagger

Armor: Chainmail with conical iron helm, Large round shield

Clothing: Wool cloak, Wool Leggins, Wool Shirt, Leather Boots

Other: Rucksack, Holy Symbol (Thors Hammer), Bread, Cheese, Dried Meat, Wineskin, Purse, Tinder Box with Flint and Steel, ten Torches.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 8:32 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Bog talk like Tarzan. Bog fight. Bog like fight. One, two, three, all same time! Bog fight, eat, drink, sleep, fight some more! Life good for Bog!

Did you really roll an 18 (three 6s) and a 3 (three ones) in the same session? The statistical chance of that is like winning the lotto.
Yes, I rolled 18 and 3 in the same session. No, the odds against rolling either an 18 or a 3 on 3d6 are 215 to 1, or 0.463 percent. The odds against winning the MegaMillions jackpot are 302,575,350 to 1, or 0.000000003305 percent.

RainbowUnion wrote:
If this were my character, I'd have equipped him with a ogre like club as his favorite weapon. This guy isn't smart enough to learn swordplay, and he would enjoy the simple beauty of smashing things. Also, swords cost money and you know this guy isn't getting laid for free with a cha of 3. For armor I'd go with something like hide or leather. Again, hes no knight, and metal armor costs lots of money and takes training to get used to.
Club +3, Bracers of Defense (AC 0), and a Loincloth of Distraction. He also had first pick of gemstones ("Sparklies"). He liked giving away sparklies to women, and they liked receiving them ... ;)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 10:01 am

Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yes, I rolled 18 and 3 in the same session. No, the odds against rolling either an 18 or a 3 on 3d6 are 215 to 1, or 0.463 percent. The odds against winning the MegaMillions jackpot are 302,575,350 to 1, or 0.000000003305 percent.

RainbowUnion wrote:
Club +3, Bracers of Defense (AC 0), and a Loincloth of Distraction. He also had first pick of gemstones ("Sparklies"). He liked giving away sparklies to women, and they liked receiving them ... ;)

What items did he have before finding the magical ones? Did you start him at level 1?

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 10:07 am

I should add that Krenwulfs world was a borderline historical recreation of Viking era Northern Europe. Magical items aside from Nordic relics were few and far between, as were supernatural creatures other than Dwarves, Giants, Gnomes, etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 10:26 am

RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
My first character under 2nd edition rules: Name: Bog...
RainbowUnion wrote:
What items did he have before finding the magical ones? Did you start him at level 1?
Nope. The DM said to start him at Level 7, so as to keep up with the other PCs.

By the way, the odds against rolling a 3 and an 18 on three dice on two consecutive rolls are 46,655 to 1. Still far short of the odds against winning the lottery.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 2:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Nope. The DM said to start him at Level 7, so as to keep up with the other PCs.

By the way, the odds against rolling a 3 and an 18 on three dice on two consecutive rolls are 46,655 to 1. Still far short of the odds against winning the lottery.

Its still less than one half of one percent. That's really remarkable IMO.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2018, 3:22 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Nope. The DM said to start him at Level 7, so as to keep up with the other PCs. By the way, the odds against rolling a 3 and an 18 on three dice on two consecutive rolls are 46,655 to 1. Still far short of the odds against winning the lottery.
Its still less than one half of one percent. That's really remarkable IMO.
It's the same for rolling two 3s or two 18s in a row; which is amazing when you consider how many characters have two attributes with 18s and how few have two 3s. If a player rolls many more 18s than 3s using only 3d6 without modification, then there is either something wrong with his dice, or the player is 'fudging' his rolls ... maybe both.

One 3 or one 18: 0.463%
Two 3s, two 18s, or one 3 and one 18: 0.0000214%
Three 3s, two 3s and one 18, one 3 and two 18s, or three 18s: 0.0000000992%
... and so forth.

Of course, when you're rolling 4d6 minus the lowest die, then the rolls will skew toward the high end.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 12:55 am

I've played a couple of times. It's fun, but it's also not easy to get a group together. I'm thinking I'd like to play some type of cat character the next time I play.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 7:58 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I've played a couple of times. It's fun, but it's also not easy to get a group together. I'm thinking I'd like to play some type of cat character the next time I play.
Tabaxi, perhaps?

I like playing "ordinary" humans; mainly because other players are so into maximizing the kickassedness of their characters and arguing over who deserves the biggest treasure and the most experience points, that they never notice my character going in for the backstab and snagging the items that we all came to collect.

It's like two bohunk prize-fighters arguing over who gets the last bottle of Gatorade, until they notice me tossing the empty container into the recycle bin.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 1:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Tabaxi, perhaps?

I like playing "ordinary" humans; mainly because other players are so into maximizing the kickassedness of their characters and arguing over who deserves the biggest treasure and the most experience points, that they never notice my character going in for the backstab and snagging the items that we all came to collect.

It's like two bohunk prize-fighters arguing over who gets the last bottle of Gatorade, until they notice me tossing the empty container into the recycle bin.

In my opinion, straight 3d6 represents the ability range of common people in the game world. Heroes are not that, and their ability scores should reflect this. Which is why I prefer 4d6, discard the lowest die. And if you are trying for specific race and class, arrange them as you want. After all, its just a game. You should be able to have a character you like playing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 1:41 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Tabaxi, perhaps? I like playing "ordinary" humans; mainly because other players are so into maximizing the kickassedness of their characters and arguing over who deserves the biggest treasure and the most experience points, that they never notice my character going in for the backstab and snagging the items that we all came to collect. It's like two bohunk prize-fighters arguing over who gets the last bottle of Gatorade, until they notice me tossing the empty container into the recycle bin.
In my opinion, straight 3d6 represents the ability range of common people in the game world. Heroes are not that, and their ability scores should reflect this. Which is why I prefer 4d6, discard the lowest die. And if you are trying for specific race and class, arrange them as you want. After all, its just a game. You should be able to have a character you like playing.
Exactly! However, I like playing ordinary humans, especially when my characters out-perform the so-called "heroic" characters of the other players!

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 1:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Fnord wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Tabaxi, perhaps? I like playing "ordinary" humans; mainly because other players are so into maximizing the kickassedness of their characters and arguing over who deserves the biggest treasure and the most experience points, that they never notice my character going in for the backstab and snagging the items that we all came to collect. It's like two bohunk prize-fighters arguing over who gets the last bottle of Gatorade, until they notice me tossing the empty container into the recycle bin.
Exactly! However, I like playing ordinary humans, especially when my characters out-perform the so-called "heroic" characters of the other players!

In Krenwulfs world, ordinary humans wouldn't last ten minutes in an adventure. They would either be torn apart by a troll or cut in half by a frost giants plus size battle axe.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 2:43 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
In my opinion, straight 3d6 represents the ability range of common people in the game world. Heroes are not that, and their ability scores should reflect this.

That was the point of 3d6, in order. It was a lot easier to make characters, so you were expected to make lots of them, and decide which one you were going to use in that game (or sometimes you would be allowed to control more than one PC). Level 1 was always brutal, but if you could make it to level 2, that character was worth keeping around.

Some stats aren't even that vital, and (in B/X at least) you were allowed to drop certain stats a little bit to boost your prime requisites.

They do have a level 0 for "common people", BTW.