MLP's Positive Message about Disability

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2018, 2:38 am

I watched the My Little Pony movie this weekend. Warning- Spoiler Alert!

The villain's servant is a unicorn with a broken horn, and as soon as I saw her, I knew that because it was a pony movie, the heros were going to end up making friends with her. But what I wasn't sure of is whether or not her horn was going to magically restored. It was what she wanted, but I didn't like the idea of her being fixed and made like everybody else. But Hooray! I was so happy when Twilight showed her that her broken horn could be useful and beautiful.

If it had been a Disney film, I'm pretty sure that the horn would have been fixed, because they seem to be all about making wishes come true. But I think that the Ponies send a better message, that you don't need to be fixed, but have something to contribute just as you are.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 4:01 am

I believe aspiring to be fixed is much better than conceding that you’ll never get fixed.

In the vast majority of cases, one can get things at least partially fixed.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:31 pm

Trying to fix things is fine but I think it's good to also have examples of learning to make the best of and appreciating what we have, after all, we all have to do both in life. Fix what we can, and accept what we cannot change.
I think we need a unicorn emoji.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 4:07 pm

I'm somewhat surprised that this thread isn't about Scootaloo. Granted, the show never 100% confirmed it, but considering Lauren Faust's comments and several episodes that have brought up her difficulty..well...there's definitely something there.

Especially when you take into consideration the episode where they get stuck in a dream realm and Scootaloo can fly, the others comment how "Anything is possible within the realm of dreams" and use Scootaloo's flight as an example of this.

I don't think they would've built it up so much if they planned to have her being able to fly at the end of it all. Rather, Scootaloo's story actually ends up being a rather sad one. She looks up to Rainbow Dash, one of the best flyers out there, and idolises the Wonder bolt team even though she may never be able to fly like her heroes.

The school bullies pick up on Scootaloo's insecurity, and find the perfect opportunity to make her feel miserable as an attempt to put her team off.

Their difficulty sometimes makes life difficult for her, since she can get in situations where it would be beneficial for her to fly, but she can't.

The episode "Flight to the finish" really shows the effort she went to in order to try to fly, to the point of ignoring everything else, it makes sense that she would try this hard because the bullies targeted not only her inability, but also her identity by drawing attention to the fact that she is a Pegasus that has the job of representing that type of pony at the showcase, and she can't even do the main thing that Pegasi are known for.

Diamond Tiara implies that Scootaloo is a failure of a Pegasus, an insecurity that she helps plant inside the brain of Scootaloo.

It's not even that Scootaloo is now on the same skill level as an Earth Pony, since Earth ponies tend to have super strength...something which, as far as we know, Scootaloo does not have.

The ending had a good message, when Scootaloo talks with Rainbow Dash, they address the fact that it is a possibility that Scootaloo may never fly, but even if that happens her friends will still be there and life will carry on. :)

Rainbow reminded her that it wasn't the end of the World- that Scootaloo could still do great things despite everything.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:24 pm

So many times I would try to fix something which would be okay to leave alone (perfectionist).