Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2018, 3:30 pm

I remember a beep test. I remember running around outside during recess in elementary school, playing by myself. I didn't see a reason to talk to anyone and I didn't feel lonely. I was put in speech therapy and in fifth grade in "special education" for a few hours of the day. They made me put my hands in ice cold water and told me to write a story. I wrote about a Chinese girl leaving China to go to USA. My mom said I started talking at age one so does that mean I'm not autistic? I heard that in "high functioning autism" its harder to find the symptoms/signs early on. I've been a loner pretty much my whole life and autism explains it.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

Razupaltuf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

It's funny, I also made a beep test and didn't want to play with others.
But my language was normal

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 4:30 pm

rebeccadanielprophet wrote:
My mom said I started talking at age one so does that mean I'm not autistic? I heard that in "high functioning autism" its harder to find the symptoms/signs early on.

Is the beep test a hearing test? I know I had two of them, one at quite a young age and a second probably around grade 7ish because people were trying to figure out why my voice was too loud most of the time. No hearing issues.

I had speech therapy too, until about grade 3 I think. I had some pretty heavy duty learning assistance in grade 1, but other than that, no "special ed".

I'm pretty sure I was talking by a normal age. I don't think anyone is going to rule out ASD simply because you were talking too early.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 4:40 pm

Are you talking about the kind of beep test where PE teachers time you, and you have to run from one side to the other before it beeps, and when you no longer can you get a level and sit out?

If so, I did that and only go to about level 3 lol (with my asthma, timed exercise isn't exactly a strong point of mine), the highest someone got in our class was level 9.

Razupaltuf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 4:46 pm

I have been in a room and they wanted me to say if I hear the tone.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 5:42 pm

Razupaltuf wrote:
Li
Like a little booth? And with earphones on? Sounds like a hearing test to me.

Razupaltuf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 5:56 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
Razupaltuf wrote:
Li
Like a little booth? And with earphones on? Sounds like a hearing test to me.

Exactly, but they found nothing. :lol:
I wonder what the TO had to do in her hearing test

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2018, 7:27 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
rebeccadanielprophet wrote:
My mom said I started talking at age one so does that mean I'm not autistic? I heard that in "high functioning autism" its harder to find the symptoms/signs early on.

Is the beep test a hearing test? I know I had two of them, one at quite a young age and a second probably around grade 7ish because people were trying to figure out why my voice was too loud most of the time. No hearing issues.

I had speech therapy too, until about grade 3 I think. I had some pretty heavy duty learning assistance in grade 1, but other than that, no "special ed".

I'm pretty sure I was talking by a normal age. I don't think anyone is going to rule out ASD simply because you were talking too early.

Yeah, it was a hearing test. I was inbetween one and four I think, I don't remember the age I just remember the test. I also went to a child psychologist for a year they had me playing pick up sticks and told me to let words in one ear and out the other.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 7:41 pm

I remember these things from my toddlerhood:

1. The constant smell of vomit.

2. The letters on the footrest of my stroller.

3. A constant anxiety, and constant fear, of everything.

4. I was in my "own world" in general.

Until my adolescence, I thought that I had "brain surgery" to "cure" whatever it was that was causing me to be "ret*d." I thought I had it at age 5, just about when I started to talk. It turns out they were testing me for epilepsy when I thought I had the "brain surgery."