Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:09 am

Biscuitman wrote:
I don't know what time zone you are on but South Africa Vs India is shortly starting. They are playing a One Day International which is a shorter version of cricket where each team gets to bat and field just once and the fielding team has 50 overs (300 bowls of the ball) only.

It might be a good introduction for you to how it works as the basics are all the same as Test Cricket

Here is a link to follow the game in text mode. You then just pull that tab down and do your normal work but the tab at the bottom counts the score up for you.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/18065/game/1122281/south-africa-vs-india-3rd-odi-ind-in-sa-2017-18/

Clicking on scorecard during any game gives you the overview of how a team has done. It will show you the list of batsman gone and waiting to have a go and how they did

India scored 303/6 (303 runs and 6 of their batsmen were out) and we are now waiting for South Africa to get themselves ready to start batting.

I read that they are playing on what is traditionally a low scoring pitch so 303 sounds decent. One Indian batsman scored 160 on his own and did it from 159 balls bowled at him, a very good scoring rate. He was the 3rd batsman in and he remained until the end when all 50 overs were bowled.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
There is more you can learn if you want to know more but cricket for me is as simple or complex as you want it to be.

I thank you for the info, and I did read all you posted carefully. It makes me want to get on youtube and take a look at an actual match.

The home field advantage part of the game really interested me, since Cricket is played all over the world. For example, would an Indian team who is king of their own conditions be simply lost if they had to play say in Ireland?

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 3:13 pm

And Walrus, thank you too for the info. This seems an interesting game, and is better than discussing what a "chav" is anyway. I hope to continue after I've seen it played.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 8:07 am

RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
There is more you can learn if you want to know more but cricket for me is as simple or complex as you want it to be.

I thank you for the info, and I did read all you posted carefully. It makes me want to get on youtube and take a look at an actual match.

The home field advantage part of the game really interested me, since Cricket is played all over the world. For example, would an Indian team who is king of their own conditions be simply lost if they had to play say in Ireland?

That is one part of cricket I love too. While in so many sports we hear about how there has to be a level playing field etc in cricket we know there won't be as it is played internationally, and so the mentally is that you have to try and come to our back yard and take the crown from us.

Any visiting teams to India, Sri Lanka and even Bangladesh have a tough game ahead of them.

This data is a few years out of date but the stats are still there
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/552712.html

halfway down the page you have the headings 'subcontinent teams overseas' and 'overseas teams in Asia' and it shows you the numbers of test matches played with a win/loss/drawn number next to it

If those numbers are correct then Sri Lanka, India & Bangladesh when playing away in England, Australia & South Africa only won 9 out of a possible 49 test matches, but England, South Africa & Australia could only win 5 of a possible 34 test matches when playing away at those Asia countries.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 2:08 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

That is one part of cricket I love too. While in so many sports we hear about how there has to be a level playing field etc in cricket we know there won't be as it is played internationally, and so the mentally is that you have to try and come to our back yard and take the crown from us.

Any visiting teams to India, Sri Lanka and even Bangladesh have a tough game ahead of them.

halfway down the page you have the headings 'subcontinent teams overseas' and 'overseas teams in Asia' and it shows you the numbers of test matches played with a win/loss/drawn number next to it

If those numbers are correct then Sri Lanka, India & Bangladesh when playing away in England, Australia & South Africa only won 9 out of a possible 49 test matches, but England, South Africa & Australia could only win 5 of a possible 34 test matches when playing away at those Asia countries.

What about the effects of geographical elevation, ie thinner air and etc?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 3:39 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

What about the effects of geographical elevation, ie thinner air and etc?

Only ever heard that mentioned for playing in South Africa. Johannesburg is a much higher altitude I believe, they say the ball moves quicker through the air.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2018, 4:07 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

India would almost certainly beat Ireland in Ireland, there's just too big a gulf.

As Biscuitman says though, subcontinental pitches strongly encourage spin bowling, and a complementary style of batting, and India haven't really produced the same quality of fast bowlers as Australia or England or South Africa (or historically the West Indies). Pakistan are a bit of an exception - very flat pitches that encourage spin, and so touring sides will usually take two spinners (they'd only use one at home), but they still have a culture of producing great fast bowlers like Imran Khan, Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram, Shohaib Aktar, Mohammad Amir, etc. That's why Pakistan have a better bowling record away from the subcontinent (or the UAE) than India or Sri Lanka.

While thin air at altitude would undoubtedly effect things, there isn't much discussion of it. I've heard it said that high altitude of some South African grounds makes the ball quicker, and it probably effects reverse swing, but I think mostly this is of more interest to scientists than pundits right now.

(inb4'd by Biscuitman - there are Indian and Pakistani pitches which are at considerable altitude, and Kenyan ones come to that, but surface conditions seem to be more significant)