Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:06 pm

Whats a chav? I mean this as a straightforward question. I know I could just google it but I dont feel like it right now.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

And how do you pronounce it? :D

Does it rhyme with "have", or with "shave", or what?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:22 pm

It has broad usage. Usually means (maybe used to mean) a thuggish, criminal child, particularly of the white underclass. I've heard the term originated from the Romany language where chavo = child, Romani children being notoriously troublesome. It's extended beyond that group now and beyond children, with someone people talking about "chav culture" and applying it to (almost always white) adults of certain class.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

It rhymes with have or Slav.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:26 pm

Mikah wrote:
It has broad usage. Usually means (maybe used to mean) a thuggish, criminal child, particularly of the white underclass. I've heard the term originated from the Romany language where chavo = child, Romani children being notoriously troublesome. It's extended beyond that group now and beyond children, with someone people talking about "chav culture" and applying it to (almost always white) adults of certain class.

Sounds like what we Yanks call White Trash then. Plain and simple. By Romani do you mean Gypsy?

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:29 pm

Oh, also would Rose Tyler from Doctor Who be one?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:33 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Sounds like what we Yanks call White Trash then. Plain and simple. By Romani do you mean Gypsy?

Yes.

RainbowUnion wrote:
Oh, also would Rose Tyler from Doctor Who be one?

I don't know, strangely I have never watched Doctor Who.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

with ''have''

I've heard 'council house and violent' as what it stands for but ^ could be right about origin. A council house is a house provided by the local council. Some are bad but some are really nice. I grew up in one, you wouldn't have known it was a council house and then my parents bought it, big discount.

It means tacky, no taste, more likely to be working class but don't have to be, likely to buy fake designer goods or better still shoplift them.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

I'm pretty sure that "gypsy" is a slur.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:39 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Hard one to get rid of, a lot of people don't know who you are talking about when you use the politically correct terms.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:42 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Mikah wrote:

Similar to white trash but I don't think I would say it meant the same, but then I'm not an expert on white trash.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:47 pm

Mikah wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Hard one to get rid of, a lot of people don't know who you are talking about when you use the politically correct terms.

And they used it in the title of 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' so I don't know. If someone was intending to slur they would use the other version anyway so if wrong at least it's unlikely to be done to be offensive.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 4:53 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
I've heard 'council house and violent' as what it stands for but ^ could be right about origin.

I'm pretty sure that's a backronym, but who knows.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:26 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Well, they themselves use the term.

Its origin was in the fact that people thought they came from Egypt. This is not the case, their place of origin was in fact India, from which they migrated into Europe over many centuries.

People do say "Its a gyp" to refer to a con or fraud, and this is a racist use of the term.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:28 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Mikah wrote:

Similar to white trash but I don't think I would say it meant the same, but then I'm not an expert on white trash.

White trash are the white ecomomic underclass in the US. Similar to redneck in its meaning.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:42 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Mikah wrote:

White trash are the white ecomomic underclass in the US. Similar to redneck in its meaning.

redneck :? but don't worry I understood economic underclass.

Most working class white people would not be referred to as chavs. You can get families of chavs but you can also get families where only one person in it is a chav. A group of chavs are more likely among friends than relations as it is more about behavour than family. Loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and yes, aggressive.