Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:44 am

The Kingsman also did "Louie Louie" :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:45 am

Wasn't there a comedy sci fi movie about Chavs?

Space invaders land their saucer, but in the bad part of London. End up tangling with a mixed racial group of young hoodlums (essentially "Chavs"). Saw teasers for it as part of the "coming attractions", but the movie never came around here in the States.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:48 am

I believe one has to wear vaguely "hip hip" sorts of clothes, in addition to the other characteristics mentioned, to be truly a "chav" in the UK.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Space invaders land their saucer, but in the bad part of London.
That was unlucky, in most parts of London, nobody would have batted an eyelid.
Quote:
End up tangling with a mixed racial group of young hoodlums (essentially "Chavs"). Saw teasers for it as part of the "coming attractions", but the movie never came around here in the States.

I've not seen anything about it, though that doesn't narrow it down much as I miss about 99% of what goes on around me.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 10:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe one has to wear vaguely "hip hip" sorts of clothes, in addition to the other characteristics mentioned, to be truly a "chav" in the UK.

Is that different to ''hip hop''?
chav's were more pink velvet tracky bottoms (females). It's been a while since I herd anyone use the term but I would expect a chav today would be trying to look like someone off TOWIE.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 10:07 am

LOL...how dumb of me. I mean "hip hop" :oops:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 10:11 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...how dumb of me. I mean "hip hop" :oops:

You should have just pretended it was something else, I wouldn't have known differently :D

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 10:36 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

chav's were more pink velvet tracky bottoms (females). It's been a while since I herd anyone use the term but I would expect a chav today would be trying to look like someone off TOWIE.

It would seem I am a chav in the older sense - I love my velvet tracky bottoms.
I cherish all my tracky bottoms.
I also live in an ex-council house and was brought up on council estates.
I speak with a chav accent too.
I guess I am proud to be an old chav.
I do not in any way pertain to the new wave of chav definitions - purely old school chav. :pirat:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
The term generally refers to young working class and middle class individuals. It tends to imply a lack of sophistication/ tackiness, and is often used as an insult. Certain items of clothing are associated with chaviness, such as; a tracksuit, and fake designer clothes (cheap trainers that look designer, overly big handbags, etc). There's also implications of rude behaviour, aggressiveness, and a heavy use of slang.

If you want an example of a stereotypical Chav, look at this cover for the Kingsman film, and at the character in the middle:

Tough expression, casual clothing, dogs that are typically considered rough/ not conventionally attractive looking such as pit bulls, bulldogs and pugs are commonly associated with this idea of chaviness as well.

Also, Catherine Tate (playing the character of Lauren Cooper):

Just in case the video fails to load, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFWkJuPhApc

Never heard of that movie.

The girl on the viewer's right is an interesting looking character. A handicapped person (she appears to have artificial feet), but who is also a hottie who kicks ass!

Ah, the henchwoman for the villain. She didn't have much of a plot line, in fact I forgot about her character. Mainly just fought off people for the villain's benefit. Alright film, wouldn't recommend the sequel though. I prefer to treat the sequel how I treat the Miss Congeniality sequel, like it doesn't exist. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 11:10 am

I like Temeraire as a Chav.

I like Temeraire as a ballet dancer.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 12:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Space invaders land their saucer, but in the bad part of London. End up tangling with a mixed racial group of young hoodlums (essentially "Chavs"). Saw teasers for it as part of the "coming attractions", but the movie never came around here in the States.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1478964/

It was watchable.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 2:42 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
I know I could just google it but I dont feel like it right now

That is not really the right attitude. Us Brits are a minority on WP, and personally I get tired of keep having to Americanize everything for the Americans to understand. If you don't understand what a British word means, it'd be better, and quicker, to just Google it, rather than take the time to start a whole thread about it just because you 'don't feel like Googling something' or 'can't be bothered'.

I understand Americans more than they understand us because I watch a lot of American films and cartoons.

I think what the OP meant is that she wanted a more human response than she would get from Google, particularly with one question leading to another.

The spelling thing annoys the s**t out of me, you know, like when Brits spell Americanise with a z because the spell check told them to :D

I don't use spell check, as my brain is my spell-checker. But sometimes I just spell things with a Z because it looks better.

I suppose I know what the OP means preferring to have immediate responses.

Sometimes, though, Americans here and on any online site do often not understand what I mean when I say things, like 'trainers' or 'primary school'. Sometimes when I'm writing a post I stop and think "will Americans understand this?" if I use words like 'flat' instead of 'apartment', or 'shop' instead of 'store'.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:02 pm

adifferentname wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1478964/

It was watchable.

That's it! Thanx!

"Watchable?". Okay! :lol:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:12 pm

...I didn't know. there were both " old school " and " new school " chavs :)!
There was a WPer some years back whose description was " Aspie Chav ".

meraire"]

fluffysaurus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I do not in any way pertain to the new wave of chav definitions - purely old school chav. :pirat:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
I know I could just google it but I dont feel like it right now

That is not really the right attitude. Us Brits are a minority on WP, and personally I get tired of keep having to Americanize everything for the Americans to understand. If you don't understand what a British word means, it'd be better, and quicker, to just Google it, rather than take the time to start a whole thread about it just because you 'don't feel like Googling something' or 'can't be bothered'.

I understand Americans more than they understand us because I watch a lot of American films and cartoons.

I think what the OP meant is that she wanted a more human response than she would get from Google, particularly with one question leading to another.

The spelling thing annoys the s**t out of me, you know, like when Brits spell Americanise with a z because the spell check told them to :D

I don't use spell check, as my brain is my spell-checker. But sometimes I just spell things with a Z because it looks better.

I suppose I know what the OP means preferring to have immediate responses.

Sometimes, though, Americans here and on any online site do often not understand what I mean when I say things, like 'trainers' or 'primary school'. Sometimes when I'm writing a post I stop and think "will Americans understand this?" if I use words like 'flat' instead of 'apartment', or 'shop' instead of 'store'.

Try not to worry about them understanding you. I and my entire generation of Britains grew up thinking they put jelly in their sandwiches and doughnuts. Doughnuts? how the hell did they get the jelly in the doughnut? I was so disappointed at age 30 to find out they meant jam :D Misunderstandings make us all seem a bit more exotic and interesting.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

Temeraire wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I do not in any way pertain to the new wave of chav definitions - purely old school chav. :pirat:

:P :P :P