Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

mistersignature
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2018, 4:50 pm

Could one say that since Jesus had jewish origins and he simply invented Christianity as a way of dealing with all the bad s**t the romans where accusing him off?

I can't figure out any viable explanation as why someone would offer to "turn the other cheek" while Mister Buddha out there is telling us to chill the f**k out...

As for Islam I guess it's still a pretty young monotheistic system, arguably violent as well, how is that supposed to help...

Makes me think about 2083, the manifesto written by the far right nationalist Anders Behring Breivik, eurabia was the word a journalist used...

What is going to happen when we all become roman catholics or muslims?

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2018, 5:12 pm

A Christian is sb who believes Jesus is the god and, perhaps, follows his doctrine, I suppose? Jesus didn't have to BELIEVE he was a god. If he was then he KNEW it. Or he was deluding himself.

But that could be just the matter of language. Maybe believing and knowing are the same thing in this case, but we have different words for it and it affects our thinking?

mistersignature
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2018, 5:49 pm

was Jesus delusionally psychotic so to speak?
the French have their Jeanne d'Arc and she heard voices while manic...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

Jesus called himself a Jew. He considered himself Jewish. He was angry with the rabbinical establishment, just like Martin Luther was mad at the Roman Catholic establishment.

I find there are some similarities between the two. The main difference is that Luther didn't have the alleged "powers" that Jesus had.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:07 pm

mistersignature wrote:
Could one say that since Jesus had jewish origins and he simply invented Christianity as a way of dealing with all the bad s**t the romans where accusing him off?

I can't figure out any viable explanation as why someone would offer to "turn the other cheek" while Mister Buddha out there is telling us to chill the f**k out...

As for Islam I guess it's still a pretty young monotheistic system, arguably violent as well, how is that supposed to help...

Makes me think about 2083, the manifesto written by the far right nationalist Anders Behring Breivik, eurabia was the word a journalist used...

What is going to happen when we all become roman catholics or muslims?

Do you mean Anders Breivik the mass murderer of children?

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 9:44 pm

Jesus was Jewish. He felt the rabbis were warping the Jewish religion. He taught parables as an attempt to correct the rabbis. The rabbis did not like that and had him killed. The separation of christian church from Judaism happened 50 to 70 years after his crucifixion.
I am a pagan, so the resurrection thing is not something for me to discuss. (I was raised in a Celtic home, but was educated in a private christian school.)
Seeing idols of a dead Jesus in churches is creepy to me. Christians wearing an idol of crossed sticks around their necks is not so bad. I thought idols were supposed to be against command #2, but whatever.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2018, 7:36 am

Tradition holds that the first Gentile church was founded in Antioch, Acts 11:20-21, where it is recorded that the disciples of Jesus Christ were first called Christians Acts 11:19-26. It was from Antioch that St. Paul started on his missionary journeys.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:04 am

Jesus was a jew and was called a rabbi. John the Baptist created Christianity.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2018, 8:35 am

Aniihya wrote:
John the Baptist created Christianity.

Very true, John the Baptist did encourage the Jews and Gentiles of the time to follow the teaching of Jesus, The Christ. His surname was not Christ, who knows what it was. Christ simply means 'Anointed one or chosen one.'
Your view is quite spot on, without going into biblical detail.
The first time these group of followers of Christ were called 'Christians' was in the book of Acts.
OMG! I sense I am opening up a can of worms here.

Last edited by bobaspie2015 on 03 Feb 2018, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:56 am

Aniihya wrote:
Jesus was a jew and was called a rabbi. John the Baptist created Christianity.

If Jesus had been japanese, he would have been called "sensei". Does this mean he knew karate? Arab Christians call god "Allah", does this make them secretly muslims? Careful not to confuse the associations of a word with its native meaning.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:12 am

I've always been told you should believe in yourself. If a Christian is somebody who believes in Jesus, then of course Jesus was a Christian, or at least should have been.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 9:36 am

Jesus saw himself as a reformer of Judaism.

He never preached to, nor converted any Gentiles. So actually he probably wasn't exactly a "Christian" in the modern sense.