Page 62 of 163 [ 2606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 163  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 12:53 pm

I didn't get to watch The Last Kingdom (BBC :evil: ) but I love Bernard Cornwell and I've read the first four books

of that series. He had a big gap in the middle when he was writing something else and by the time I got number five

I knew I was going to have to reread the others so I'm stockpiling them all. I like reading books in a series closeish

or at least not years apart. I'm the same with telly, I save the episodes up on ITVPlayer and watch them over a

couple of nights. I'm currently stockpiling Vanity Fair :D :D

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 1:54 pm

I used to read Mr Cornwall, the starbucks chronicles and also the archer's story were good, also gallows thief.

I have a few series piling up in my library on the box. The Frankenstein Chronicles is one I am waiting to start. I did fancy Vanity Fair but already have too much to watch.

I haven't watch how to train your dragon 2 all the way through yet. Then there is Dr who. Not enough hours in the day for me.

On ch BBC4 tonight at 10pm is a new series called There she goes. I quite fancy this.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 2:58 pm

I watched the first series of The Last Kingdom having read (or heard) none of the books. I found the main character was not particularly likeable - it could be due to his acting, or that he got (and lost) 3 wives/families in one series. He just floated from one thing to the other, and made bad decisions which he only escaped through luck and then didn't learn anything from it. Also, I don't know if they crammed several books in, but it seems like they did. Anyway, series 1 and 2 are on Netflix.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 3:29 pm

I really liked Gallows Thief, and the King Arthur series. I watched episode one of Frankenstein's Chronicles but

found it a bit dark for me (at that time). It was very well done though, so I decided I would watch them the next

time they are on.

Mister Spock, He does get through a few wives but not all in The Last Kingdom so I think you must be right. The

books together cover a period of about eighty years.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2018, 6:52 am

I think I might give The Frankenstein Chronicles a go tonight.

Making a corned beef hash (the stew version) so comfort food on the ready.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 2:32 am

^I'm still making my way through the enormous batch of bolonaise I made on Sunday. Last portion tonight.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 2:54 am

Sounds luvly...and I ain’t getting any :o

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 5:35 am

I wonder how long it would take to airmail you some dinner Mr K?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 5:47 am

you're absolutely the Sweetest, Temmy!

We’re finally cool here in NYC. A high of 10, if we’re lucky.

I had corned beef hash in Chicago.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2018, 5:53 am

Oh lovely.

It is so easy to make.

All it needs is time to mature.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 4:30 am

I was watching a cooking show earlier and it talked about a Cockney Rhyming Slang from (I think they said) North London. It was using terms that I never would have guessed what they were really talking about.

In the show, the two chefs in the show, one from London and one from Canada, ran across it getting money out of an ATM. It had some rather incomprehensible terms to denote whether one wanted to withdraw ten pounds, twenty pounds, thirty pounds, or forty pounds.

Some on the show were "apples and pears" to mean "stairs", "barnett fair" to mean "hair", and "daisy roots" for "boots".

They had one example that had to go through something like two or three steps to get to a rhyme.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 5:35 am

^ From what's known as the "East End" in London, but it's pretty close to the middle and is North of the river Thames. My Stepdad's from a different part of London, but knew a fair bit of rhyming slang, and he had the right accent too (some of them don't rhyme unless you have a Londoner's vowels!)

There are a few common ones that a lot of Brits would know, but possibly wouldn't know they were all from rhyming slang...
"Have a butchers" = "Have a look" (butcher's hook -> look)
"Blow a raspberry" = making a farty noise with your lips (raspberry tart -> fart)
"Use your loaf!" = "Use your head!", Think! (loaf of bread -> head)
"Berk" = an insult (Berkeley Hunt -> erm...I'll let you guess, it's a bit rude!)

It only got started in Victorian times, IIRC, and it may have been so cryptic on purpose, to allow open speaking that outsiders and/or the police couldn't understand (i.e. a cryptolect or a thieves' cant). The East End was traditionally one of the poorest areas of London, and had a reputation for being a very close-knit community with a thriving black-market.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:22 am

A guy I worked with before was known by everyone in the company as Bubble. I didn't question it assuming it was some old funny story from before my time but it was actually just because his family was Greek. Greek = bubble & squeak, which is then shortened to bubble

I think there is a fair amount of rhyming slang that we in Britain use on a regular basis but because it is a step on from the original phrase it isn't obvious where it's from so people use it without questioning it.

off the top of my head 'Half inch' and 'trouble & strife' are ones I have heard numerous times in regular conversation for example

lets not get into 'septics'.... :wink:

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:59 am

I think that cockney slang is brown bread these days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 9:13 am

I like dark brown, pumpernickel bread.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 9:25 am

I am so hank marvin now.