Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cfleischmann
Toucan
Toucan

03 Feb 2018, 6:56 pm

OK People:

which of the three major virtual assistants is your preferred: Siri (Apple), Alexa (Amazon), or Google; why is that your choice? What do you like about that virtual assistant? What could be improved for it? What could all virtual assistants improve on?

Sound off in the comments below!

- more than likely on a mobile device

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:06 am

I only used Siri, but only when driving... I really only use it for simple text, please call this person, taking quick notes, and setting appointments. Sometimes internet searches. But I imagine all of them can do these task well enough now. Basically, I see it as a hands free safety convenience when I need to be doing something else.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:15 am

I use Alexa. It has customizable reminders; it reminds me to take my medication, then a few minutes later, asks if I'm quite sure that I have done so. It interfaces with my Google Calendar, can place a call to my mate on her cell phone, has customizable 'to-do' lists, a 'memo' function, and a timer that helps with time management (like obsessive Internet use). If outside noise is making me feel overstimulated, it can play white noise (like 'rain sounds') or nonverbal music (I like 'Liquid Mind'), which helps me tremendously.
I'd recommend it to anyone with cognitive/memory/executive function issues.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:11 am

I only used Cortana on my old Windows phone

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:27 am

Why on earth would anybody trust some multi-billion dollar monopoly with the calibration data to synthesize their voice?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: