Excessive video game play: A health disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:10 am

The World Health Organization (WHO) has included “gaming disorder” in its draft for the next edition of its diagnostic manual, the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11), which is due for final release this year. The disorder is characterised by behaviours such as impaired control of time spent playing video games and prioritisation of gaming above other activities, in a way that negatively affects other areas of a person’s life such as their education, occupation and relationships.

Games industry bodies the US Entertainment Software Association (ESA) and UK Interactive Entertainment (Ukie) have expressed doubts about the classification. “We are very concerned about the inconclusive nature of the research and the evidence that WHO is using to base this potential classification on,” says Ukie’s chief executive, Jo Twist.

Some researchers agree. “I just feel like we don’t know enough yet,” says Dr Netta Weinstein, a senior lecturer in psychology at Cardiff University. “And we feel we know a lot.”

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/ ... -addiction

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:15 am

I don't think this is big news. Anything that causes that "rush" and generates endorphins in the brain to the extent that somebody is addicted to it can be a problem. Gaming is no different. Heck, there are people who are unhealthily addicted to exercise to the extent it impacts their overall health and wellbeing.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:19 am

I wonder how you would differentiate between a special interest in video games and “gaming disorder”

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 10:01 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I wonder how you would differentiate between a special interest in video games and “gaming disorder”

As someone whose special interest happens to be video games, I can certainly control how many hours I put into gaming. And I don't put gaming very high up on my priority list, especially these days - there are days when I don't play video games at all, although I do still play them on a near-daily basis. Those factors rule out "gaming disorder" in my case. I just happen to know a lot about video games.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 10:22 am

I consider video games my special interest due to not playing games just for relaxation, competition etc. but more for "weird" reasons that are adult related and involve spiritual stuff, which was already described in the "Got Anything Random To Say" post last night. I also have an extensive knowledge with many games. I do play games, a lot, but not in a way that constitutes in excessive play. To be perfectly honest, I don't play enough games. I spend more time on the computer than actually playing a video game.

I got Super Mario Odyssey not too long ago and that's the only game I've been actually playing for the past couple of days for at least 1-3 hours each day (at least I try to). With the computer off, I actually can feel a sense of self and focus on the video game and not distract myself with the stupid internet. I still haven't finished Pokémon Ultra Moon. I typically would have a Pokémon game done by now but I haven't touched Ultra Moon in a few weeks. Not because I've been too busy to play, just the fact I spend more time idling around on the inter-webs and nothing else...

I personally feel like I'm losing my touch on games due to being so obsessed with spending mindless hours on the internet doing dumb stuff like sticking my nose in places that I shouldn't and end up getting offended. I seriously need to get back into enjoying my special interests more and try to overcome some fear of judgment along the way so I can truly feel like I can be happy with the things I love once again.