Toucan

09 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm

the guardian and alternet are left bias sources

Robert Stacy McCain's sex trouble series

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 2:22 am

I don't understand why it took so long for "fake news" to be a thing. I've been seeing it for years, especially "viral" stuff where it's obviously clickbait and not true at all...but people can barely bother to -CLICK- on a link and read the article, let alone check the sources to find out that most of the facts had been twisted by some other "news" site/blog and then copy/pasted ad-infinitum.

I always called it "1984" or "Ministry of Truth", but "fake news" is a good term for it as well.

Ignorance is strength.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 1:32 am

A big part of this plays into the dumbing down of America. First, conservatives opened their arms to the people who believe the earth is only thousands instead of billions of years old, don't believe in evolution, and who believe skin color determines how law abiding or intelligent someone is. Then those people with the intelligence deficit ended up in charge of conservative politics, pushing aside the old, Ivy League educated elite who used to run the Republican party, and using this new power to promote the most ignorant misrepresentations of science and culture in the educational system. It was only a matter of time that sharp eyed business people like Rupert Murdoch would realize they could make a killing financially by creating news outlets tailor made for the new right.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 1:43 am

Hi Kraichgauer

You mentioned Russo-Germanic family ties? Then you probably already know this.

The Russian word for Christian (if male) is христианин. (Khrest-yann-in).
The Russian word for Peasant (if male) is христианин (Khrest-yann-in)

христианка is the feminine (Khrest-yann-ka).

Three semesters of Russian in college, 42 years ago now, and that burned into my soul. It is no coincidence.

Full disclosure: I'm a христианка myself, but of the Mendelian/Maxwellian type:

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 11 Feb 2018, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 1:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
A big part of this plays into the dumbing down of America. First, conservatives opened their arms to the people who believe the earth is only thousands instead of billions of years old, don't believe in evolution, and who believe skin color determines how law abiding or intelligent someone is. Then those people with the intelligence deficit ended up in charge of conservative politics, pushing aside the old, Ivy League educated elite who used to run the Republican party, and using this new power to promote the most ignorant misrepresentations of science and culture in the educational system. It was only a matter of time that sharp eyed business people like Rupert Murdoch would realize they could make a killing financially by creating news outlets tailor made for the new right.

The dumbing down of American culture has been a bi partisan political project by both the Establishment right and the Establishment left for over 40 years.
You can read about the establishment left wing support for this in Podestas emails, The right wing sort of wears their ignorance on their sleeve, as though they're proud of it.

We've had the same BS going on in Australia since the late 1960's
With similar levels of political stupidity forming over here.
To be honest, looking at the pattern of this blight, I wonder if Murdoch had something to do with the creation and/or spread of it, because it seems to pop up whereever Murdoch has a strong presence.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:08 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Hi Kraichgauer

You mentioned Russo-Germanic family ties? Then you probably already know this.

The Russian word for Christian (if male) is христианин. (Khrest-yann-in).
The Russian word for Peasant (if male) is христианин (Khrest-yann-in)

христианка is the feminine (Khrest-yann-ka).

Three semesters of Russian in college, 42 years ago now, and that burned into my soul. It is no coincidence.

Actually my paternal ancestors had been Palatine Germans who had been recruited to colonize newly acquired lands by Russia around the Black Sea. They and the native Russians tended to avoid much contact due to mutual bigotry and mistrust, as well as the language barrier. While Black Sea Germans later on intermixed with Russians, my dad's people along with other Black Sea Germans had immigrated to America in the 1860's. So, no actual Russian blood in my veins that I know of.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:12 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The dumbing down of American culture has been a bi partisan political project by both the Establishment right and the Establishment left for over 40 years.
You can read about the establishment left wing support for this in Podestas emails, The right wing sort of wears their ignorance on their sleeve, as though they're proud of it.

We've had the same BS going on in Australia since the late 1960's
With similar levels of political stupidity forming over here.
To be honest, looking at the pattern of this blight, I wonder if Murdoch had something to do with the creation and/or spread of it, because it seems to pop up whereever Murdoch has a strong presence.

I consider Murdoch's involvement to be a foregone conclusion.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:14 am

EzraS wrote:

I keep trying to access that link, and told it can't be reached.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:24 am

way back in 1963, MLK warned us,"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Oops my bad. It works now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39592010

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:13 am

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

For the record, I've never heard stories about feds burning out protesters at Standing Rock, so I imagine it didn't get coverage on legitimate news sites, nor did I ever hear about Trump allegedly $hiting his pants (though that is funny :lol: ) But that's the difference between fake news on the left and right. On the right, it's distributed by major news agencies like Fox, and is supported by word of mouth by the right's political establishment. And I hardly think having some fun by manipulating images of Trump having a bathroom accident carries the same political impact as does the right's more outlandish and truly harmful claims, such as that Obamacare involved death panels, or that Trump would have won the popular vote had it not been for massive voter fraud.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 4:25 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

For the record, I've never heard stories about feds burning out protesters at Standing Rock, so I imagine it didn't get coverage on legitimate news sites, nor did I ever hear about Trump allegedly $hiting his pants (though that is funny :lol: ) But that's the difference between fake news on the left and right. On the right, it's distributed by major news agencies like Fox, and is supported by word of mouth by the right's political establishment. And I hardly think having some fun by manipulating images of Trump having a bathroom accident carries the same political impact as does the right's more outlandish and truly harmful claims, such as that Obamacare involved death panels, or that Trump would have won the popular vote had it not been for massive voter fraud.

You and I both know I could dig up articles discrediting CNN. They of course would be right bias sources, just like the OP's sources the guardian and alternet are left bias. When people turn to bias sources, they are going to get biased news.

That's why I avoid both CNN and Fox and anything that's comparable to them. They're both only as reliable as their bias allows them to be.