Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:40 am

I'm predominantly English, an 1/8 Irish, and very distantly French.

At least, it's a possibility since I studied my family tree at school, and found a family on my mum's side with a French surname.

Some commonly asked questions/misconceptions about me:

- Are you Russian?

Not that I know of. I tracked my family tree up to three generations, and found no documentation suggesting that any of them lived anywhere near Russia.

-Your hair is like Merida's, wait are you Scottish?

It's possible.

My hair tends to get quite a few questions, it's quite curly, thick, frizz prone, and a dark strawberry blonde. One woman once wondered if I was part Caribbean, which took me by surprise considering the fact I'm quite pale and blonde.

She saw my mum but not my dad, and was surprised to see how much my hair varied from my sister's (which is much straighter and less thick), so she wondered if I had a different father to my sister or something.

When my sister brought that up to our mum, she laughed and remarked "Sadly I never met any dashing young Caribbean men in my time, otherwise who knows?". :lol:

My sister used to have slightly wavy hair, but she's straightened it so much over the years, that it just stays straight now.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 8:56 am

Physically, I'm African American (black). I also have black, thick hair although I have it cut to almost nothing now. My skin shade is like Darc's from the Arc the Lad video games. I don't know my family history. My mother was in foster care so she has no idea about her side of the family, and I never talk to my 'non-existent' biological father or anything so I have no further information regarding whether or not I have anything else.

magz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 9:17 am

My aunt and mother work on our family tree as a hobby, so I could get some raliable knowledge many generations back.
Mainly Polish, 1/16 Russian, some Czech genes, generally all local, Eastern European.
Father unknown like 5 generations above, probably the whole village knew who he was back then but no record was made.

We were fairly surprised that they didn't find any Jews, because my family was often thought to be at least partly Jewish, based on the looks. Well, maybe some old genes, baptized in Middle Ages? It happened in Poland quite often. Or the unknown father? We have no idea.

With my light beige skin, straight brown hair, teal eyes and heavy eyebrows I can easily disappear in the crowd in any place in Europe and some parts of Middle East (tested).

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 9:21 am

Quote:
What's your ethnicity?

Homo sapiens.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 9:37 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

At least, it's a possibility since I studied my family tree at school, and found a family on my mum's side with a French surname.

- Are you Russian?

Not that I know of. I tracked my family tree up to three generations, and found no documentation suggesting that any of them lived anywhere near Russia.

It's possible.

My hair tends to get quite a few questions, it's quite curly, thick, frizz prone, and a dark strawberry blonde. One woman once wondered if I was part Caribbean, which took me by surprise considering the fact I'm quite pale and blonde.

She saw my mum but not my dad, and was surprised to see how much my hair varied from my sister's (which is much straighter and less thick), so she wondered if I had a different father to my sister or something.

When my sister brought that up to our mum, she laughed and remarked "Sadly I never met any dashing young Caribbean men in my time, otherwise who knows?". :lol:

My sister used to have slightly wavy hair, but she's straightened it so much over the years, that it just stays straight now.

If you look like that cartoon character then you look VERY Celtic (Irish, or Scottish, or Breton), which would not be particularly surprising. Most folks in England are some combination of Anglosaxon and Celtic in ancestry I would think Though you would have to go back over a thousand years to document it.

Anyone who would tell a fair haired, and fair skinned, White person that "you look Caribbean" is a real dumb ass (I am sure that she is nice lady, but she is as ignorant as a brick). The Caribbean is like the US. Its a land of immigrants, and it's part of the New World, and not of Europe. So there is no indigenous nationality of White people in the Caribbean. :lol:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 10:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

- Are you Russian?

It's possible.

If you look like that cartoon character then you look VERY Celtic (Irish, or Scottish, or Breton), which would not be particularly surprising. Most folks in England are some combination of Anglosaxon and Celtic in ancestry I would think Though you would have to go back over a thousand years to document it.

Anyone who would tell a fair haired, and fair skinned, White person that "you look Caribbean" is a real dumb ass (I am sure that she is nice lady, but she is as ignorant as a brick). The Caribbean is like the US. Its a land of immigrants, and it's part of the New World, and not of Europe. So there is no indigenous nationality of White people in the Caribbean. :lol:

I do look fairly similar to her, if she had light brown eyes instead of blue, and dark strawberry blonde hair instead of ginger then she'd be quite close to my appearance.

However, unlike Merida, it wouldn't be a good idea to trust me with a bow and arrow (I'd probably accidentally shoot someone in the foot or something). 8O :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 11:16 am

On my mother's side: Eastern European: Ashkenazi Jewish, mostly Russian

On my father's side: Germanic: Dutch, German, Anglo-Saxon, Irish. My last name means "Shortlands" in Dutch. In other words, the predominant land type in the Netherlands.

As far as I know: no Native American or African ancestry. But if it so happens that I have that sort of ancestry, I'd be a "richer" person because of it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 11:34 am

Swiss and Irish.

My mom is what they call black Irish because she has dark grey eyes and black hair, which I inherited.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 11:38 am

Mostly English, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish but also some Italian and a little German.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm

Mostly German, some English, some French (via French Canadian), and via the German side some circumstantial evidence of a possible pinch of Jewish ancestry.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 1:03 pm

My father is Turkish and my mother's father is Cretan and mother Turkish. So I'm a tiny bit Cretan but mainly Turkish. I'm quite pale with (originally) light brown hair and dark brown eyes. I also have some freckles on my nose. People constantly tell me I look nothing like Turkish. Even people in my country mistake me for a foreigner and talk to me in English.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 1:22 pm

I'm Mostly English and Irish with some French and Italian there are rumours that we are descended from a black slave women I don't know how distant this is but my great Grandfather looked like about as black as Ice T or the creole people from Louisiana.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 1:42 pm

You probably have some African blood, then.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 1:55 pm

Yeah I think so apparently the slave woman was raped and the child was helped out in someway my Grandfathers family were somewhat middle class they were tenant farmers in Pendle and lived in Alice Nutters old house she was a woman who was killed for being a witch in the pendle witch trials. My family claim the Father of the child was one of the Dewhurst brothers who owned butchers, but I cannot find information about them. I can find information about the Vestey Brothers who owned Dewhurst butchers which was once the largest Butcher chain in the UK and they were the wealthiest family but I don't think its them because they didn't come about until the late 1800's. My Great grandfathers surname was actually Dewhurst but he took his his stepfathers name.

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Feb 2018, 5:12 pm

Almost entirely Norwegian; one of my great grandfathers was Danish.

The tiger and the lion may be more powerful....

...but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.