Milwalkee health head science still out autism vaccine link

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 1:44 am

'Science is still out' on autism, vaccine link, new Milwaukee health official says

Quote:
Milwaukee's newly picked top health official told a radio audience that "the science is still out" on whether there's a link between some vaccines and autism.

Patricia McManus, who was chosen by the Common Council this week to lead the troubled Milwaukee Health Department, was asked during a radio show Wednesday about whether the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine could cause autism in children.

“I don’t think the answer is yet there. I mean, there’s still people who believe it," McManus said on The Forum talk show. "And so I don’t know. I think the science is still out. I think that’s a decision that these families are going to have to make on their own at this point.”

Mayor Tom Barrett had initially selected former Health Commissioner Paul Nannis to serve as a temporary replacement for Baker. But the mayor withdrew Nannis' nomination after it became clear that he didn't have the votes to be confirmed by the full council.

Barrett has not yet signed off on McManus' appointment. But even if the mayor rejects her selection — he has been noncommittal on it so far — the council has more than the 12 votes needed to override a veto.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:11 am

Mayor Tom Barrett disputes top Milwaukee health official's comments on vaccine, autism link: 'The science is settled'

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:26 pm

I wasn't vaccinated against measles, my Mum loves broccoli and yogurt and had lots of both when pregnant with me, and I've never played a video game. Where the hell did I catch my Asperger's from?

BeeFarm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2018, 10:51 am

Quote:
I wasn't vaccinated against measles, my Mum loves broccoli and yogurt and had lots of both when pregnant with me, and I've never played a video game. Where the hell did I catch my Asperger's from?

Your mother forgot to stand on her head an hour a day while pregnant.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

BeeFarm wrote:
Quote:

Your mother forgot to stand on her head an hour a day while pregnant.

That's it, you've got it, I knew it was her fault :D