Vestibular system sensitivity - I feel the floor vibrating

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jaybe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2018, 6:29 am

I just had a realisation today while in a department store I go to sometimes. Several different times while walking around that store I've started to feel dizzy and nauseous. I figured it must've been the lighting or noise. But today waiting in line standing completely still I realised that the floor was shaking. It's a huge elevated concrete floor above the carpark. So it's the same feeling as being in a car on an overbridge and feeling it shake as cars go over, or a train goes under.
I'm 35 and only formally diagnosed a few years ago so I'm still getting my head around some of the sensory stuff. Does anyone else get similar effects from movement/vibration?

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2018, 4:00 pm

jaybe--
I can't offer you any solutions but I can say I have felt both of the sensations you experienced. I was in a store at its grand opening in November and it was very crowded. I soon became quite dizzy and realized that if I did not get out of there they would be picked me up off the floor (or at least my trampled remains). I did make it out but it took an hour or more for the dizziness to subside. My daughter who is an emt said I had a panic attack even tho the only symptom was dizziness. She said most of the cases of panic attack she treats are limited to dizziness.

As for the floor shaking, I used to feel that while I was sitting at my (tower) computer. I would be noting the time so I could follow up and see if there were any slight earth quakes then but apparently it was only me, no earth quakes. I can say tho that I have not "felt the earth move" for several years now; in fact, I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Perhaps it is an ASD thing. Hope yours goes away soon too.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

gabemai314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Solar System, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

10 Feb 2018, 4:54 pm

Wow. That is interesting. For some odd reason I am envious of your vestibular sensitivity.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 6:26 pm

Yes, I can feel the floor/ ground move and I usually don’t like it.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 8:39 pm

When I go into a room to fill a portable oxygen tank for a patient, the resulting really loud noise of hissing air that comes as the tank fills actually makes me fill dizzy. I thought maybe it was from inhaling additional oxygen I don't need, but when I cover my ears I don't have that phenomena. Of course, I risk looking like an idiot with my ears covered if somebody else enters the room.

jaybe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2018, 12:31 am

NeilM wrote:
jaybe--
I can't offer you any solutions but I can say I have felt both of the sensations you experienced. I was in a store at its grand opening in November and it was very crowded. I soon became quite dizzy and realized that if I did not get out of there they would be picked me up off the floor (or at least my trampled remains). I did make it out but it took an hour or more for the dizziness to subside. My daughter who is an emt said I had a panic attack even tho the only symptom was dizziness. She said most of the cases of panic attack she treats are limited to dizziness.

As for the floor shaking, I used to feel that while I was sitting at my (tower) computer. I would be noting the time so I could follow up and see if there were any slight earth quakes then but apparently it was only me, no earth quakes. I can say tho that I have not "felt the earth move" for several years now; in fact, I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Perhaps it is an ASD thing. Hope yours goes away soon too.

NeilM thanks for your reply and we'll wishes. To clarify, I think the ground was actually shaking slightly because of it being an elevated concrete slab. When I mentioned previous instances of this to dr/friends etc they also told me it's probably panic attack or social anxiety, but that didn't sit quite right with me... when u were sitting at your computer was it in an office building? I used to work in an office building and you could feel the floor shake from people dropping weights in the gym downstairs (this was actually verified because management had to ask gym goers to be more careful with the weights)
I think people with heightened sensitivity to the physical world are sensing actual occurrences - even though they may not be important or useful things to sense...!

jaybe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2018, 12:36 am

AnneOleson wrote:
Yes, I can feel the floor/ ground move and I usually don’t like it.

Hi Anne, yes it's not a nice feeling - I guess "vertigo" describes the experience. I looked up vestibular system in autism and there are treatments for children these days to strengthen the vestibular system, one of them I saw was sitting on a spinning platform (which doesn't sound very appealing! ) but apparently improves symptoms.