Special interests in something you didn't care about at all

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2018, 5:16 pm

Has anyone every developed and special interest in something you've didn't care about before and when or if it faded you have no interest in it anymore

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 11:37 pm

I've had intense interests that significantly declined, but no bubble interests that popped up from and disappeared into nothing.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm

My special interests have changed over time, but the information I have gathered through researching them has stayed in my long term memory.

I would say my interest in tennis has actually intensified by transitioning from simply watching it to taking actual lessons. I went from interested fan to active participant, which makes me appreciate my favorite players even more.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2018, 5:45 pm

Yeah, I get secondary interests in spurts. I get really into something, pretty much out of nowhere, vigorously engage in the subject for a few months and involve it in my main interest, then it fades and I forget most of what I learned about it. I still think it's cool, but I lose the desire to learn more about it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:08 am

Romansky123 wrote:
Has anyone every developed and special interest in something you've didn't care about before and when or if it faded you have no interest in it anymore
Special interest? No
Obsession? Yes.

(No, they're not the same, for me it's much the same difference as between love and infatuation)

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 3:47 am

well yeah, basically all my special interests. I need to know something before i get interested in it, and if i dont know something i cant be interested in it, therefore i dont care about it because i dont know about it.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 6:13 am

In my previous job i worked with vintage items. Some stuff was interesting, others not so much. My boss once sat me down to sort through tubs of old coins. Coins are boring. Coins have always been boring. Yet the second I got sat down, my brain went in overdrive. Omg this coin! Omg that coin!! I even went home doing non-stop searching for antique coins and which ones are worth money, which ones a rare, how to spot a fake.

Needless to say, my boss took me off the task because I was spending too long on it because i kept getting distracted by looking up all the different coins I thought were interesting. And since, i have not even looked at a coin. Though, tbf, once i was in an antique shop and saw an old half crown someone had turned into a ring and i felt compelled to buy it :)

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 7:49 am

Several times. Become thoroughly abosorbed with something out of the blue for s while and then completely lose interest in it.

Japanese samurai katana swords is one that comes to mind.

I fantasized quite a bit about having a sword made by say Nagasone Kotetsu and sending it to Fred Lohman to be customized.

Closest I got was buying some woodpecker sageo from him. My cousin said "wow it's a shoelace" haha.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 8:40 am

Yep, being my mother's primary caregiver for the last four years of her life caused me to memorize medications (and their interactions), vitals, meals, therapies, CNA knowledge, RN knowledge and plenty of MD knowledge. Never in my life did I want to know about health care. It was always something others did to me. But, it was fascinating after I got into some of its practices. The real providers considered me their own little Dr. Shaun Murphy because I helped with everything, and often offered advice to make their work a little more efficient (based on my systemization skills). In other medical settings (clinics and hospitals), I was well known for challenging MDs and RNs about their presumptions, and demanding that they do their jobs correctly; again, I would advise.

In college, I rebuilt my Volkswagen Beetle's engine. Very useful knowledge about vehicles came with that task.

On a whim in high school, I sign up for a Foods (cooking) class for two years. Absolutely the best unintended knowledge came from that experience. The instructor taught the class to cook by knowing food chemistry. Once I understood her, I no longer needed recipes. I could cook by understanding the chemistry.

I guess I have had many such experiences.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:53 pm

A sample of hundreds of things I've lost interest in includes Meccano, blocks, Saints, several groups of friends, BASIC, my wife, various communities, hydrofoils, and many inventions, including one to strip the edges of pin-feed computer paper. I was once employed to build a large, climate-controlled compartment on a boat for electronics. Before the rest of the boat was done, the electronics had shrunk to 1% of the size.
Your brain's job is to keep you alive, and most of the time, it has a LOT of excess capacity. A special interest is just a way to keep it from chaos, not a permanent landmark.