Are children getting taller these days?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2018, 5:43 pm

I am 5'11 and I see a lot of high school and college students who are a lot younger than me tower over me. I feel short compared to a lot of teenagers and young adults I come across. Is there something in our food or water supply that is making kids taller or grow faster? When I was 13 and hit puberty everyone said how tall I was. I stopped growing when I was 17. I have a short dad but I am still a lot taller than him. My youngest sister is 7 years younger than me and all of the boys that she hangs out with all tower over me. My family have always told me how tall I am but I feel like I am not that tall compared to a lot of other young people I see. I am the oldest and the only boy in my family except for some boy cousins. One of my male cousins who is five years younger than me was always short and didn't hit puberty until he turned 18 and now he is a lot taller than me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 7:36 pm

Maybe slightly.

The average height for a man in the US, in the 1970s, was about 5 foot 9. It still is 5 foot 9.

I am shorter than both my father and brother. I'm younger than both of them.

My brother's sons are both shorter than my brother.

One thing I did notice:

Chinese people born in the US are much taller than Chinese people born in China.

Same with Mexicans.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:28 am

^ must be the access to better nutrition.

similarly, i've heard people say that young boys and girls are becoming 'developed' too soon....girls grow breasts and have menarche at younger ages, boys grow facial hair earlier, etc. perhaps we have always been 'delayed' in that aspect because of poor access to quality nourishment and these so-called 'too young' occurrences are how we are supposed to develop?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Feb 2018, 5:45 am

I think people hit puberty faster & grow taller because of all the hormones that get pumped into animals that are raised for food.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:41 pm

My brother and I are both pretty tall. When we were younger it seemed almost everyone older than us was a lot shorter. People can say what they want about hormones in our food, but my parents grew up in an era where people didn't care much about eating packaged food laden with preservatives and smoking cigarettes.

My mom encouraged my brother and I to eat healthy, though. She always made sure we had fresh fruit and vegetables and served balanced meals. BUT I WAS FAT ANYWAY!! :twisted: Not my brother though, he was your typical tall skinny kid with a high metabolism who could eat pretty much whatever he wanted and it sucked because I couldn't. :(

I heard that drinking coffee is supposed to stunt your kid's growth. It doesn't really, it's just some dumb thing parents say because they don't want their kid drinking coffee. Of course, the caffeine is the real reason they shouldn't drink it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:32 am

I don't know. Children I know are either really small for their age or overweight for their age.