Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 2:06 am

This is actually pretty genius:

https://www.rd.com/advice/parenting/sto ... -strategy/

Jtie135
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2018, 2:15 am

I’m not sure it would work in older kids given that they wouldn’t bother thinking about a real answer, and bullies might nominate a their target to make them the center of attention and give them a chance to humiliate them. As far as elementary kids it seems fine though.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 2:33 am

I think they should let kids stay home.

They fight against:
-Homeschooling
-Teleschooling
-Alternate schools
-School vouchers
-Letting kids go to work and skip school

That's their downfall, they desire the cash so much that they think it's OK to enslave children -- to force them to go to their buildings and do what they tell them to do. Then when the kid rebels, they blame the kid, never the school. The solution is "freedom".

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 11:10 am

This idea probably wouldn't work with older kids but I guess the idea is to get the lonely young kid some help so he doesn't grow up to be an outsider during his high school years.

I was a complete outsider during my high school years and it was why I found solace in hardcore punk. Popular music, fashion, TV and sports held no appeal to me. And, yes, I thought about blowing up churches because I felt religion was evil. And I probably would have realized my darker ideas but I had no access to bombing materials or, like the kids today, firearms, AR-15's, etc.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 2:48 pm

It's a great idea but I found it really sad that it's being done not for the many who are unhappy but because of the few might go on to do something terrible in part because of that unhappiness. She started this after Columbine, didn't she now there were unhappy kids in her class before then, or doesn't it matter as long as they don't shoot anyone.

I had a few good teachers (and some crap ones) who made some real effort, I'm glad I can look back and appreciate without having to think they were only like that because they thought I might end up shooting up the school.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

I think it is a good idea....

I think it would have helped me some if teachers had done things like this, as it was hard for me to connect with other kids.

I remember also sometimes being upset because sometimes teachers would sit me between two kids who are maybe talking when the teacher is teaching, or chatting at an assembly. It made me feel like I was being used as a 'divider' for friends who distracted each other too much during class/assemblies because I didn't have any friends so the figured stick me in the middle to seperate the two....but I don't think they ever thought about how that effected me. Made me feel like I was being used like you might use an object, and made the kids they stuck me between resent me further because I was in the way of their chatter. Not sure why that made me think of this, but yeah that is something that always bothered me.